Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Absolute Evil
Aug 25, 2008

Don't mess with Mister Creazil!

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

I've had 2 herniated discs, L4-L5 and L5-S1 for the last 8 years. I'm 28. It started as just some minor aches and pains that's just kept escalating. The worst part for me wasn't the pain itself, it was the fact that it was constantly there. After 6 years of constant 24/7 pain I tried to off myself. If I owned a gun I'd probably be dead right now.

It started with ever increasing doses of Tylenol and Motrin, then the next 4 years on Ultram. One day I was on the set of a pilot we were in the process of shooting and I dropped having a seizure. I'm not epileptic or anything it's just a side effect of Ultram. On the worst days I'm hunched around like an old lady. The best days I'm not irritable to the point of angry. I've run through the whole gauntlet of spinal treatments. Steroid injections, Facet blocks, trigger points, TENS units, god knows how many different meds. At its worst I was on 120mg a day of Oxycontin. Right now my doctor and I are scaling it back. Currently I'm on 3x Oxycontin 30mg daily, 3x 5mg Valium, and 2x Flexiril, and I'll be dropping to 20mg Oxy in 2 weeks.

I'm 35 and have the same herniated discs/nerve pain. People don't understand that it's not *just* having pain, it's having pain that is never ending. It exhausts you and wears you down mentally. I've been to multiple doctors and had all of the same spinal treatments. The median branch block worked, I was pain-free for about 5 days. That's the last time I was pain free and that was almost 6 years ago. Because it was a workers comp case, I was at the mercy of insurance approval and they only approved it the one time. At the time, I was down to working 24 hours a week (because of the injury) and couldn't afford to get the injections if I had to pay for it myself. TENS units are a godsend. I go through 9 volt batteries like they are nothing. I take an unholy amount of ibuprofen,Tylenol,and naproxen each day. My current doctor is "nice" enough to prescribe tramadol for me...50mg, 3 times a day. After 4 years of being on the same dose, she won't up it or even consider something else. She says I'm too young to be dependent on pain meds and I really shouldn't be in as much pain as I claim I am. It takes 3 or 4 or sometimes 5 tramadol to get my pain into the "I can carry on a conversation without growling and/or screaming at people" level. Since I have to take multiple, I run out of my pills halfway through the month and then my life turns into a living hell again. My doctor also prescribed Flexeril, which does absolutely jack poo poo to alleviate anything other than my level of consciousness. I save that for nights when even laying down brings me to tears.

There is a pain clinic at a local hospital but they only accept patients through referral. My doctor won't give me the referral because it's not through her choice hospital. So I've doctor shopped. Most docs at that hospital aren't accepting new Medicaid patients, but if I can pay cash they are willing to see me. I support myself and 2 children off of $10/hour, so I can't afford it.

Former friends avoid me because of my pain-related mood swings. The same ones who pop Norco/Dilaudid/Oxy recreationally. It makes me want to bang my head on some railroad tracks while a train is speeding over them. If someone told me "There is a pill that will drop your pain level considerably enough to make you function normally but every pill would take 3 years off of your life", I'd beat them and steal the pills. The depression that pain brings, the isolation, the anxiety of going places because it hurts to much to move and the potential humiliation of crying in public because of the pain means I go to work and come home and that's about it. I passed nursing school with a 4.0 GPA but never took my boards because I knew that I'd never be able to handle the job (I'm a CNA who got moved to medical records because of the injury). Ugh!

Edit: Everybody I know has suggested marijuana use to help. The problem with that is, every time a "random" drug test comes up at work, my name somehow manages to get called. I'm desperately afraid of coming up dirty and getting fired, because I know how hard it will be to find another job that I can halfway handle.

Absolute Evil fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absolute Evil
Aug 25, 2008

Don't mess with Mister Creazil!

Low Carb Bread posted:

Have you tried gabapentin? If not, I would highly recommend it. If you had tried it and it failed, I'd be curious as to what dose you reached. Many people are started by their primary doctor at 300mg three times a day and hate it when it makes them feel terrible, and hate it even more when it doesn't work. The minimum effective dose (per trial data) is ~400mg three times daily and I have patients who take 1200mg or more three times a day.

An additional agent to consider would be a tricyclic antidepressant; the two commonly used for neuropathic pain are nortriptyline and amitriptyline.

My doctor had me on gabapentin and pregabalin, at different points. The Neurontin did have me feeling lovely but I stuck it out as long as possible (approximately 8 months).I was started at 300mg (I think?) qd and I believe the last dose I was taking was 900mg tid. At that point, I couldn't walk a straight line if my life depended on it and didn't feel safe to drive because of the dizziness/drunken feeling. As a single mom of 2 (and a nursing student), I couldn't afford to not be able to drive and/or work or take care of patients at clinicals. I had trouble collecting my thoughts, it felt like my mind was a tv and someone was constantly flipping the channels in my brain. I'd fall asleep mid-sentence.I felt like I'd wandered into hell. In that time, I never noticed it had any appreciable affect in my symptoms.

As for the ami/nortriptyline, I was on wellbutrin 400mg bid and my doctor said she wasn't comfortable having me on both at the same time. I'd tried almost every anti-depressant under the sun and wellbutrin was the only one that helped, while having the fewest negative side effects. She didn't say what interaction could happen and now that I look it up, I'm not seeing anything.

• Locked thread