Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
If lower doses of Gabapentin made you brain-foggy, don't expect higher doses to not do that. High doses do nothing but knock me the hell out, and make me feel drunk/dizzy/off-balance. Does help the nerve pain when my back is killing me, but the best thing about it is it knocks me out to the point where i can get a couple of hours of sleep no matter how much pain I'm in.

Chronic pain sucks. I've been dealing with it with a knee that every ortho I go to gives me a new reason for why the hell it hurts so bad. (I've gotten everything from arthritis to chondromalacia patella to "no drat clue".) X-rays are normal, MRIs show no severe cartilige/meniscus problems, but it hurts like a son of a bitch on a regular basis. Best anyone came up with is I walk super splay-footed, and that it's caused my knee to go off track so the kneecap rides on bone instead of cartilige. And now my back is in on it too, with achy lower back stuff that's easy to deal with, but horrible upper back pain that has me unable to sit still.

Opiates help, but more in the "numb you out so that you don't feel poo poo about poo poo" way, which is not a long-term solution for chronic pain. Gabapentin helps, but like I said, the best thing about it is 1600-2400mg knock me out cold for a few hours. I went to see a chiro today just because he's a buddy of my bosses and it was free, and outside of making me go snap crackle and pop a bunch it did absolutely nothing. (I mean, I know the SA stance on chiropracty, but hey, i couldn't sit still, I figured it wouldn't hurt to try it for y'know, free.) I've been doing pain management with a psych that's been a lot of biofeedback stuff, about how to relax and poo poo when the pain is really bad, and it's helped a little bit, but when the pain is bad, the pain is bad, and ERs here are so reluctant to give you anything for fear of enabling drug-seekers that people in legit pain get skipped over, especially if you're young.

e: chiro did more harm then good. ER thinks I have a herniated/bulging disc, but can't confirm that without imaging, and I fall into the loophole of "state refused medicaid expansion, but I don't make enough for subsidies" so I'm uninsured, so they didn't want to do imaging and rack up more costs on me. Their best guess is I have a herniated disc or two and when i went to the chiro he managed to twist me just right to set one of the discs down on my ulnar nerve, so now the entire outside of my right arm is numb/tingly. They said it should go away, but referred me to the walk-in ortho clinic across the way since my ortho no longer practices, and see if they can do something to help.

Dr Jankenstein fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jul 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread