Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peo
Sep 7, 2003

It's easier to club baby seals.
I hope it isn't too late to reply to this. I have CRPS, and there's another goon with it too. There have been some previous threads on this in the archives, and there's one in E/N at the moment, actually. I've had CRPS for 13 years now, and I've been through the ringer with treatments. I'm glad to hear your spinal stimulator and Lyrica are working for you - I've tried both and neither helped, but I have a pretty resistant case that doesn't respond well to a lot of treatments. I've done mirror therapy, since you asked about that, and I'm really excited at the idea of being able to retrain your brain away from the pain feedback pathways that have developed. Unfortunately, I've only seen a little progress with it myself after quite a few years now, but I have complicating factors. But don't assume my experience is going to be what yours is - it's a wonderful sign you've already found things that are reducing your pain by that much.

If you ever want to chat, feel free to PM me, or post back here. I also have an AIM I use to chat with the other goon with CRPS, so if you're at all interested, I can give that out. I'm starting to do some advocacy work, and if there's any advice I can give, or support I can offer, I will. CRPS is a horrible disease, and can be very isolating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peo
Sep 7, 2003

It's easier to club baby seals.

brakanjan posted:

That is the most fked up poo poo I have ever heard a pain contract with a doctor. OMF. Really sure Hippocrates rolling in his grave. Just WOW. I swear only in America.

You know a few years ago I was going to emigrate there and then I heard horror stories about the labor law but that ......sheesh... dodged a bullet there and they call my country 3rd world.

Actually, they have them in Canada too. I was quite upset with my doctor for bringing it to me, but he said that first all of the new patients had to sign, and now they were getting all of the old patients to sign it too. While I didn't object to the items in it per se - it was pretty much 'don't abuse the drugs' and 'don't sell them to other people', I felt the entire nature of it was coercive, and especially, one sided. There was no promise to treat me, to ensure my pain relief is adequate or at least work on getting it there, to refer me elsewhere if they felt I couldn't be properly treated with them, anything at all. I would have respected a two-way contract, but not a 'sign this promising to be good or you can't get treated here at all'. Especially after being an old patient who had never shown any signs of problems with regard to taking my medications improperly or sharing them with others. But they said they didn't really have a choice in bringing it to me, and that it was a new regulation. I'm unsure if they meant a new clinic regulation or a new provincial one, but either way, they said I didn't have an option but to sign it.

Honestly, I'm not sure that it could stand up to much legal scrutiny. A contract implies two parties offering things to each other, not a one-way deal. I guess you could argue that it's implicitly meant to be 'we'll continue treating you if you sign this', but it was not mentioned in the contract at all. Especially when the patient signing it is in pain, and doesn't really have a choice but to sign, it seems coercive. Then again, there's probably some legal precedent that I'm missing.

edit: And then I read things like

That drat Satyr posted:

Unfortunately in the US pain contracts are par for the course in most places. Some of the stuff that was on the one I had to sign was, for example, that I agree to not mis-use my medication by taking more of it than prescribed, not give it to anyone else, and so on which is basic sense, but also things like that I will only use one pharmacy, the one I have declared to this doctor that I use, that I will use no other painkillers prescribed by no other doctor and if something happens and I need to take meds from another doctor I have to call them ASAP and report it. IE: I had surgery and was put on some other heavy painkiller and I had to save all the bottles and take them with me to my next visit, even though they were all empty. Every visit I go to, I have to take my bottles that I've filled since the previous visit and they count all my meds and track it. I also, as mentioned, get a drug test every single time because god forbid marijuana might help relieve some of this pain.

It's really a whole pile of bullshit... but there's not much else I can do right now but bitch about it on the internet, so... here we are.

And it's like, oh who the hell cares about my pain contract. Every time I think of something to complain about when it comes to my treatment, I just read something a million times worse from the States.

peo fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jun 10, 2014

• Locked thread