Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
It's pretty awful. I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome (Hypermobility Type). One of the major diagnostic criteria is widespread severe joint pain, and one of the symptoms is hypersensitivity to nociceptive stimuli, which includes pain. The pain started when I was 19, and I'm 33 now.

Currently I use Neurontin 600mg 3x daily, and occasionally Tylenol to help control it. On days when I wake up with something out of socket, or accidentally injure myself, I usually hit up the urgent care place and get a shot of Toradol and hope I get the doctor there that knows EDS and is willing to give me some Vicodin. A few years ago I was on 30mg morphine instant release 3x daily, and 5mg instant release Oxycontin for breakthrough pain.

I suggest getting a therapist to talk to, or better yet a psychologist who specializes in pain management. Pain wears you down, and eventually you become a grumpywumpus. Trained professionals and good friends are the best way to combat that. A healthy social network to give support is, in my opinion, one of the best ways to combat chronic pain.

Also, try doing whatever you have to to get a good night's sleep as often as possible. Pain can and will gently caress up your sleep, and not sleeping well will wear you down making it easier to be susceptible to the baggage that comes with chronic pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

That drat Satyr posted:

This is the best advice, a million times over. I keep a bottle of Tizanidine in the nightstand for nights when the pain is too much for my normal regiment of meds to handle. The muscle relaxer does nothing to combat the pain, but I know if I take a full pill I'll be knocked out for at least four hours.

It's lovely, but you end up finding these 'nuclear options' to get through the pain. :/

I've been through pretty much every med that's meant to make you sleep. The only ones that work for me are benzodiazepines. 5mg of Valium at night, and I sleep 8 hours, but not deeply enough that I usually wake up if I dislocate or hyper-extend something.

• Locked thread