Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
ninja-edit: Ok, this is not the thing I want at the top of a new page, so instead, have a brief explanation of my picks for my 'great' Marvel books currently.

The linking factor for most of my really liked books are non-traditional art styles for cape books, and light, pacy dialogue with a good sense of timing for humour. Brittney Williams, Tana Ford, Erica Henderson, Kris Anka and Kate Niemczyk don't have styles that are that similar, but they all stand out as a little different from a 'house-style' perspective. I like the more recent jump to books that don't wallow in pure misery, but allow heroes to be heroic and overcome odds, while still having a degree of naturalism if not actual verisimilitude about how they depict daily life.

Also, Javier Rodriguez rules.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, actually posting which books you currently like and WHY might've been a better idea, or if someone said they liked one you think isn't engaging, ask them to elaborate (heck, I did that a page or two back when people were poo poo-talking Spider-Woman. Didn't get an answer, to be fair, but still...). All that passive-aggressive post did was start a derail, so we're now absolutely not doing what you want, AND make people think you're a whiny jerk, so be less likely to engage with you when you do post cool, good, interesting stuff like what X-O quoted. It's literally the most counter-productive thing you could do short of posting a ban-me.

If I want to say I don't like Silver Surfer I should not be required to say why.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, actually posting which books you currently like and WHY might've been a better idea, or if someone said they liked one you think isn't engaging, ask them to elaborate (heck, I did that a page or two back when people were poo poo-talking Spider-Woman. Didn't get an answer, to be fair, but still...). All that passive-aggressive post did was start a derail, so we're now absolutely not doing what you want, AND make people think you're a whiny jerk, so be less likely to engage with you when you do post cool, good, interesting stuff like what X-O quoted. It's literally the most counter-productive thing you could do short of posting a ban-me.
People (politely?) ignored the thing X-O quoted as a good post (and a post I think was good and would have been nice to chat about) because people were more interested in making GBS threads on lovely ol' Bendis for being lovely when he was announced as the new writer for Iron Man. I think Spider-Woman is a solid book with great art and you made a good post about it, and people (politely?) ignored your post because they wanted to poo poo on lovely ol' Bendis for being lovely when he was announced as the writer for Civil War II. I'm sure posting unsourced confusing bullshit reviews of books is not productive, but it couldn't really be less effective than an actual effort post.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Well, you're not wrong. A lot of comics discussion often degenerates into how pointlessly snarky people can be, even here, and this is probably the best comics discussion board on the Internet.

Trying to draw attention to that tendency as it manifests here with a post that looks like you skipped your meds today might not be the best move, though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

People making GBS threads on lovely ol' Bendis is definitely getting old. But I mostly just ignore that because those people most times end up bitching about things that have little to do with Bendis so their posts alone make them look dumb so there's no point in pointing it out.

And it does kind of suck that good effort posts, like the one I quoted which I loved, get overlooked. I agree with that as well. It does suck and I'm sure it's frustrating that something like that gets no attention but someone posting "I liked X" gets 10 replies of "No I think that one sucks" but that's just the nature of conversation on the internet. I'm not going to tell people they can't post like that. Hell I post like that a lot of the time and did so on the last page. I don't want to discourage someone sharing their opinion if they don't want to or are maybe aren't capable of putting what they like or don't into words. I don't find anything wrong with someone just giving an unsolicited or solicited short opinion. Would I rather everyone, including myself, put more out there than "I like X" as a post? Sure. But sometimes we just don't have time or want to drop in real quick and go back to doing something else. Sometimes we just want to add a vote of sorts to a recommendation. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I'll admit I do like reading posts like your TV season one more than those even if I didn't have much in the way of conversation to add to it at the time. So much so that I remembered to go back and look for it. Mainly I'm just saying don't let people that post that stuff get under your skin and don't think that people just ignore the effort posts because I don't think that's the case.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Rhyno posted:

If I want to say I don't like Silver Surfer I should not be required to say why.

You shouldn't be required to say why, no - but at the same time, if you don't, if your post is just "Silver Surfer is bad, you guys" which leads to the inevitable response of "nuh uh it is actually good" then that poo poo is boring as gently caress to read. There's no actual discussion to be had from a starting point of "Thing Sucks." Like, no one should have to write essays on their comic book preferences, that's stupid. But "thing bad/thing not bad" is the kind of scintillating discussion I could find on the average middle school playground.

Anyways, I agree with X-O's viewpoint in that that's the way discussions on the Internet happen sometimes, and there's no sense in trying to mandate more - but it's not exactly beyond the pale to be disappointed when the level of discourse gets anemic.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Can we just talk about how Captain Marvel looks kind of awesome in Mar-Vell's old Kree uniform? Or how Squirrel Girl is distilled from joy and sunshine?

EDIT: Also, reading the Secret Wars hardcover made me fall in love with the story all over again. Everything lives.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 21, 2016

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Silk is a very good book but the new artist is not as good as the old one. These are my Hot Takes on these All New All Different books as long as we're all rabbling

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Die Laughing posted:

Can we just talk about how Captain Marvel looks kind of awesome in Mar-Vell's old Kree uniform? Or how Squirrel Girl is distilled from joy and sunshine?EDIT: Also, reading the Secret Wars hardcover made me fall in love with the story all over again. Everything lives.
I'm a little behind, where is she wearing the old (green helmet?) Kree uniform? How is a comic distilled from joy and sunshine? What makes you love Secret Wars all over again? Let's talk about these things.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

X-O posted:

People making GBS threads on lovely ol' Bendis is definitely getting old. But I mostly just ignore that because those people most times end up bitching about things that have little to do with Bendis so their posts alone make them look dumb so there's no point in pointing it out.

And it does kind of suck that good effort posts, like the one I quoted which I loved, get overlooked. I agree with that as well. It does suck and I'm sure it's frustrating that something like that gets no attention but someone posting "I liked X" gets 10 replies of "No I think that one sucks" but that's just the nature of conversation on the internet. I'm not going to tell people they can't post like that. Hell I post like that a lot of the time and did so on the last page. I don't want to discourage someone sharing their opinion if they don't want to or are maybe aren't capable of putting what they like or don't into words. I don't find anything wrong with someone just giving an unsolicited or solicited short opinion. Would I rather everyone, including myself, put more out there than "I like X" as a post? Sure. But sometimes we just don't have time or want to drop in real quick and go back to doing something else. Sometimes we just want to add a vote of sorts to a recommendation. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I'll admit I do like reading posts like your TV season one more than those even if I didn't have much in the way of conversation to add to it at the time. So much so that I remembered to go back and look for it. Mainly I'm just saying don't let people that post that stuff get under your skin and don't think that people just ignore the effort posts because I don't think that's the case.

Basically you want people to be able to come in click "Like" on a book in post form and walk away. I get that. I like reading E&Cs rants too. The Bendis thing is getting old but until the quality of his work improves across the board I don't think they'll go away. I'm not a fan of the guy but I had to say that bitching about his work on events is kind of bullshit because all of his events generated buzz and interest, and the books that dealt with them were usually pretty solid. It's easy to look back with tinted glasses and complain about his witty banter carrying his stories or talking heads, etc. but honestly it's only been the last 5 years or so that his work really dropped off. Go back and read New Avengers, it's still a lot of fun. All the "voices" he uses that we got used to reading now are only bad because it's not fresh and new, but it doesn't make the time when they were bad.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Does the Secret Wars hardcover have the edits that Hickman mentioned about putting some pages in different order?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Sorry for asking this, but isn't it about time for a new OP? I haven't read any Marvel since before the last few Secret Wars issues got delayed 6 months or whatever so I have no idea which books are even running now.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

X-O posted:

Does the Secret Wars hardcover have the edits that Hickman mentioned about putting some pages in different order?

I feel like it does but I'd have to go back to the issues to see where they fall. It does seem like that issues 7-9 are all put together without the breaks the issues had.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Hakkesshu posted:

Sorry for asking this, but isn't it about time for a new OP? I haven't read any Marvel since before the last few Secret Wars issues got delayed 6 months or whatever so I have no idea which books are even running now.

Yeah, I was recently trying to find a list of current ongoing Marvel series and I was surprised how obvious searches like "current marvel ongoing series" returned nothing remotely helpful. It'd be cool if we could get the OP updated with the current series/a new thread with an up to date OP.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Edge & Christian posted:

I'm a little behind, where is she wearing the old (green helmet?) Kree uniform?

She's having flashbacks to Mar-Vell's life, where he did some Very Bad poo poo. It's a really sweet visual.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Mar-Vell's costume is a great simplistic costume, it's hard to make it look bad.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It's one of my favorites actually. And McNiven managed to make it look even better in the Ultimate books.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I know nobody loved Mar-vell that much and his death was the best story involving him, but I still think someone who used to be a soldier for a super lovely racist empire turning into the greatest hero the galaxy has ever known is a great arc.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

I know nobody loved Mar-vell that much and his death was the best story involving him, but I still think someone who used to be a soldier for a super lovely racist empire turning into the greatest hero the galaxy has ever known is a great arc.

Not nobody, I loved Mar-vell. Way after the fact of course because I was not around when he was. But I have a deep love for all the Starlin era cosmic stuff and Mar-vell is one of my favorites.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If not for how great Carol is I'd still be standing on a milk crate screaming at Marvel to bring Mar-Vell back.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

X-O posted:

Not nobody, I loved Mar-vell. Way after the fact of course because I was not around when he was. But I have a deep love for all the Starlin era cosmic stuff and Mar-vell is one of my favorites.

High five fellow Starlin fan! :hfive: That first Thanos storyline is some amazing stuff even to this day.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Lurdiak posted:

High five fellow Starlin fan! :hfive: That first Thanos storyline is some amazing stuff even to this day.

I like his new story too. Anytime the inbetweener or Lord Chaos & Order show up to attempt to destroy someone by "dichotomizing" them I get a big goofy grin on my face. Not a huge fan of Adam Warlock but it's fun.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
That green and white scheme is so underused. Who else has it? Quicksilver, sometimes? It's just such a clean, streamlined look, especially with the finned helmet. It looks bright but also martial, really distinctive but also totally believable as a space-empire's military uniform-- like he's a living arrow the Kree would point and fire at their enemies.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

X-O posted:

It does. I'm going to do a page by page comparison tonight, so I'll let you know what's changed.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

If you're just looking for a straight list of titles in ANAD Marvel, this should do it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-New%2C_All-Different_Marvel

That's every title that has either launched already or will launch very shortly.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Putting my money where my mouth is, will have a new Marvel thread up shortly.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Hey. This is still going on:

What's stopping Marvel from dumping this shithead?

e: I would love to hear/read the commission requests he gets.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Mar 21, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Is he even doing any work for them right now?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Is he even doing any work for them right now?

Is he off Hulk?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah. Hulk, which I'm really enjoying. He may be an rear end in a top hat but I like his art.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Is he off Hulk?

poo poo I forgot about that.

X-O posted:

Yeah. Hulk, which I'm really enjoying. He may be an rear end in a top hat but I like his art.

He was drawing an OUTRAGE cover when we walked by his table yesterday and he had a long line of pony tailed, fedora wearers waiting for what I assume was the same thing.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Cho is an rear end in a top hat? I always loved liberty Meadows :(

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The sad thing is there's nothing wrong with Cho's T&A inherently, no one would care if it wasn't slapped onto a commercially released mainstream book, but the dude has to go on a dumbass crusade about it and make himself an rear end in a top hat.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kingtheninja posted:

He's always been a known woman-objectifying rear end in a top hat but in the last few years it's exploded.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I wanna pay him handsomely to draw a wrap around cover featuring basically every female character through the big-two's history, with a single speech bubble pointing to all of them saying "Duhhh. We're women. Doy."

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 21, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Kingtheninja posted:

You can still love it. I still enjoy his art. I wouldn't want to hang out with him but he draws a good Hulk and I like reading a book with a well drawn Hulk.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
The solicit for issue #6 has Mike Choi as the interior artist and Cho only listed as the cover artist.

I'm incidentally not a fan of his artwork and think he's an rear end in a top hat. I'm fairly confident these two opinions are unrelated and even if he were a really cool guy I'd still not be a fan of his style.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's difficult to separate the art from the artist when the artist is such a huge rear end in a top hat.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Rhyno posted:

He's always been a known woman-objectifying rear end in a top hat but in the last few years it's exploded.

Is this somehow related to his divorce? The guy can draw cheese cake TnA, and unlike a lot of TnA artists it is mostly (highly idealized) anatomically correct. If you are going to do one thing do it good!

However his recent MRA rants make me not want to buy his stuff. Luckily I bought all of the Liberty Meadows collections a while ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

It's difficult to separate the art from the artist when the artist is such a huge rear end in a top hat.

Well I wouldn't buy anything written by him that reflected the kind of stuff above, but just him doing the art on a book like Hulk where none of that stuff is present doesn't bother me.

• Locked thread