Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Mr. Maltose posted:

Considering all the poo poo we know Arnim Zola got up to, the idea of there being a bakers dozen of Hitlers during WWII isn't beyond the pale.

They could show up now as footsoldiers of the Lethal Legion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

A writer noting in an interview about his comic that he likes something good about it: Marvel trying to befog the minds of the masses into accepting racism and misogyny as the eternal status quo, as part of an elaborate con to gain praise for defying same.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

On that Spider-Gwen cover: "STOP THE SPIDER-WOMEN"

Also why is Nightcrawler a medieval knight man now?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Yeah, I've been figuring the same—after all, the setting for that is called Battlerealm.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Edge & Christian posted:

Bro we can't all just crib like five Rockford Files episodes together redundantly and hope people love our artist enough to ignore it bro

bro

Not sure which Hawkeye run you're talking about here, but Rockford Files went off the air when Jeff Lemire was 3 and Matt Fraction was 4, so I kind of doubt that either has that kind of familiarity it. You have some weird narrative pareidolia.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

:eyepop:

Welp I was wrong.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

"If you need an extra pair of hands out there, Alpha Flight is ready to go..."

"Molson-sucking Canadian garbage would be useless, Colonel--I'm sending in a teenager named AMERICA!"

:911:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

You need to go for some teste-based comedy with an "ANAD" pun.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

BSS > All-Nude, All-Ifferant Marvel Comics

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Good lord, ANAD involves more than 70 titles at this point.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

He achieved closure, and can move on with his life. But superhero genre stuff doesn't thrive on subtlety, so it's closure expressed as dropping the garbage file into his heart-gibson.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Starsnostars posted:

Vision's deleated emotional baggage will just get restored and put in the mind of another android who Vision will eventually have to fight

That sounds cool + good. One of the best punch opera tropes is :"You must beat your(or the author's) personal problems

up."

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Maybe it's just a story James Robinson wants to tell.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

I'm starting to think we need a Dan Slott emoticon.

It'd stop him from finding BSS when he googles himself, at least.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Squizzle posted:

I'm actually awesome, these are my stats:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Even my Fighting Ability cannot deflect a burn that sick, TwoPair. :negative:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Isn't sideloading stuff half the use case for Fires? Why on Earth would Amazon make it harder? BEEEEEZOOOOOOOOOS...! :argh:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

???

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Welp I could wait for SirDan3k to come clarify what he meant, but that's not the :justpost: ethos, so here come my words!!!!!

I think he meant that he disliked the rigamarole of debuting a new status quo enough back in the day, when it would take one to maybe three issues; now, it takes a full five or six issue arc to lay out a new status quo, and that's as many as four tens all the more frustrating.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

SirDan3k posted:

Does anybody threaten a city or town or a couple of city blocks anymore? It would actually raise the stakes as I believe editorial might let a random city or a town or a couple of blocks get destroyed.

The stakes might count as too low, in this case, because it's a Canadian "city", but there's always this!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

Guardians is fun as hell right now.

All of Bendis' books right now are really good.

:swoon:

The best thing about Bendis comics is the level of trust in the art. Dude demonstrably has zero problem covering a whole two-page spread with words, but he still knows how to shut up and let like 20 panels of facial expressions/body language talk instead.

Ellis lets the art do the storytelling, too, but Bendis relies on emotional realism and conversational exchanges for so much of his stuff that I'm way more impressed with how he does it.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I don't think we're going to empirically prove his feelings about the story wrong.

For what it's worth, I didn't love Annihilation until maybe my third or fourth readthrough. Like CtH implies for himself, I also didn't feel like the story made the stakes feel real. There was some kind of narrative bokeh going on, where all the personal struggles came through, but the cosmic existential stuff all floated in the blurry emotional distance. After a few reads, I guess the subtler, vaguer indications of space gehenna finally started to mean something to me.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

image we're talking about posted:

This sort of A/B shot thing happens in other comics, but every goddamn time Bendis uses it, you can feel exactly how much time passes in the gutters. I don't know how he does it, but dude knows how to pull pacing magic out of his artists.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Bendis is an honest-to-god great comic writer, whose style is unsuited to modern superhero comics. He can't write a blockbuster action scene to save his life, his relationship with continuity is casual at best, and he can't hold on to a subplot (except for emotional arcs). But his strengths—character work, stylistic dialogue, ability to play to collaborator strengths —are so ridiculously strong, I'll take the genre/style mismatch.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

If they should take Kitty Pryde to within sex distance of her space boyfriend, Space Prince Christopher Pratt, so that they can get a mysterious space object examined by his top space scientists.

e: It would be space sex.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Some context!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Drax's facial expression changing very slightly from panel to panel, while everyone else cartoon-yowzas away. :allears:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Off-the-cuff hot take: Her power should be to change things to their opposite: good fortune to bad, evolution to extinction, health to sickness, victory to despair. There, she has witchy effects (My most productive cow—she gives no milk anymore!) and it's both more specific than whatever she's had any time I've almost cared that she exists, and broad enough to justify most bullshit she's done in the past 50 years.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Gynovore posted:

Ah, those were the days. Magneto levitating people by grabbing the iron in their blood, and Storm manipulating the gas clouds of deep space.

GOD drat IT HEMOGLOBIN ISN'T FERROMAGNETIC :tizzy:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I for one am disgusted by ANAD Marvel's obvious efforts to sexually frustrate Emma Frost.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

it's absolutely not important what Fury said

Eeeh, maybe. Aaron opened his run with a :black101: examination of the what it means to be a god and what can end godhood, and the Young/Mighty/King split makes story-hay of the life journey of Thor Odinson. This run cares a lot about who Odinson is, how he got that way, and what that means for his relationship to the world(s) and to people. Even if Fury's exact statement doesn't matter, I think it's important for the reader to get some insight into what happened in Odinson's mind that made unworthy—and what makes Jane worthy to be a god.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

It's weird how much of that run ended up repeated later in some manner. It prefigures a lot of the Aaron run, especially, in broad strokes if not in thematic detail.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

If Marvel cancels the Captain Marvel movie before Halloween, I will wear a Carol Danvers Captain Marvel costume when I take the kids out trick-or-treating. If they announce before October, I'll grow a full beard for it. If they don't, Lurdiak has to wear a Mary Marvel costume, but at Thanksgiving dinner instead. :toxx: if Lurdiak agrees.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Announce a cancellation, I mean. Otherwise, I'd be offering to not shaving for no reason.

Let's be clear: I don't mind stopping shaving for no reason, but that's not what's happening in that post.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I bet that the Venn diagram circles for bitter Mar-Vell fans and bitter Dick Rider fans have a whole lot of overlap.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Probably means that the series started in 1963, to distinguish it from any reboots or renumbers.

efb :newlol:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

zoux posted:

I-is this true??

:prepop: This changes everything.

Also, what a terrible parking job.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Dario the Wop posted:

Totally Awesome Hulk is pretty good. Pak has become a writer on par with Busiek, PAD, and others whose work I follow. The artwork by Cho is of course beautiful (I love monsters, so I'm biased). For most of my life I believed the only one that can write a good Hulk is the aforementioned PAD, to the point where I didn't read Planet Hulk/World War Hulk until years later, and I was very happy to be proven wrong.

Jesus Christ I love that coloring.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

:j: "The Phoenix is coming!"

:awesomelon: "The Phoenix is all about rebirth and will restore mutants."

:patriot: "The Phoenix eats stars and planets. Maybe we should worry."

:awesomelon: "Don't be a bigot. That's anti-mutant bigotry."

:patriot: "The Phoenix causes mass extinctions. Like it did on the way here. Nova watched."

:newlol: "My dreams echo with the desperate wailing of dying billions!"

:awesomelon: "HELLO MORONS we have a redhead, it will be fine."

:canada: "My hand bones are full of knives."

:patriot: "This is indeed a sticky situation."

FINAL OUTCOME: :ffg: "OF COURSE I WAS RIGHT"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

We really need some dedicated Cyclops emoji, to express varying degrees of rightness.

Just to be clear, I don't mean forum smilies; I mean additions to the Unicode standard character set.

• Locked thread