Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Although really if they're supposed to be from 2061 they should just have everything be exactly the same as it is now.

Well one looks to be Cyclops marrying someone (Emma?) so there's that one at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's barely even amnesia too since she knows everything anyway.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Despite the Cyclops/X-23 cover, they never even really get close.

Although X-23 is all mopey about him leaving anyway.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jesus.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hope did literally serve her entire purpose for existing already.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Is the Cap change even going yo affect other books? Steve is pretty important in Hickman's Avengers right now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

goldenoreos posted:

8 Months Later's Avenger cover actually features old Steve and new hotness Cap.

Well I guess that bomb doesn't work.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

First Bass posted:

Still think it's pretty hilarious that a Norse god pushed the off-brand Heaven out of the universe. I'm actually surprised they didn't call them valkyries instead of angels.

Can't do, that valkyries still exist.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't have a problem with this in concept, but the way they're handling it is super weird. Like, instead of a new character, it's just gender-swapped Thor. That makes no sense! Thor is a dude, not a title!

I'm sure some of that is just for The View's audience.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What's Thor's power level now without Mjolnir anyway? He's still supposed to be crazy strong for an Asgardian all on his own, right?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

http://marvel.com/news/comics/2014/7/15/22875/marvel_proudly_presents_thor
So Aaron is going to be writing THOR which is about her. Looks like God of Thunder is ending.
It's going to be the same creative team I think though so this looks pretty awesome.

Also says new character.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I guess Tony Stark should start watching his back. Someone's probably coming for his armor.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

Also, is it going to be his Celestial slaying axe?

Probably, but that's an alternate timeline. It's just a regular old unenchanted axe outside of Uncanny. A regular old still probably magic axe.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

Ok, so last time I checked in Uncanny Avengers, the Earth exploded? Did this get reversed or something?

Yes.

(Time travel.)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Batham posted:

Blergh, I'd rather that Marvel keeps gender swapping for their own invented characters and not those that are based on other's mythology. I have the feeling that this would've never even been considered if Thor was based on an American mythological figure.

Like Batman or Superman?

I don't think Marvel can get those rights.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Batham posted:

Exactly, the US doesn't really have mythological figures like that so you might not understand how weird it is to hear that the "god of thunder, Thor" that you've been told about since you were a child, is now a woman. It has nothing to do with Thor being a woman, but everything with Thor becoming a woman. It's like Hera (or Bruce Wayne) would suddenly and permanently become a man. And no, I'm not talking about Batman becoming Batwoman, I'm talking about Batman becoming a woman.

No it's more like if there was a female superhero calling herself Batman but also Batman was still around being Batman.

Only she has his car now she he can only use the 900 other Batman things he has.

...So it's like Hawkeye I guess.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ther.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's the thing I'm confused about since as far as I know his only name is Thor.

It used to be easier because he could just be Donald and someone else could be Thor.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Thor is a title meaning thunder.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TwoPair posted:

"Fine, fine, just rip her arm off. gently caress ARMS."

And then they settled for Thor losing his.

Negotiation!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I wouldn't be surprised if this comes up in the issues.

Not the whole masculine name thing, but why she chooses to use it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The articles say she's someone Thor rescued in the past. We're likely looking at a taking up the mantle, Great Power type of situation.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Her hair slides out like movie Thor's sleeves.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Thor has a Hammer Corps.

They're all just Thor.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He caused the entire Earth to be destroyed but that was okay with the hammer.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Quesada just confirmed Falcon as the new Cap on Colbert, if anyone was still not convinced.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It should be Carol Danvers. Captain Marvel isn't selling so well anyway.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Deadpool posted:

Because as I said these things are usually just a fun diversion from the norm. The fact that so many people get frothing mad about them is just a nice little side effect.

Plus they're replacing Cap with the guy from his movie who otherwise nobody cares about, so it's already a tie in.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Flameingblack posted:

Most teenagers who use memes are doing it ironically or sarcastically on twitter, or they're genuine and annoying like Tumblr. Considering Kamala writes fan-fiction she's probably the type of girl who uses memes non-ironically. I agree, and I'm in the camp with that being in-character for her.

Hasn't she literally mentioned using Tumblr before?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's Saturday Morning Cartoon font.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Suben posted:

The cool thing about fiction is that it doesn't have to conform to every aspect of real life. It's prefectly possible to write teenage characters that aren't annoying (and in fact has been done plenty of times). My absolutely favorite series right now, being published anywhere, is Koe no Katachi which has teenage characters, some of who can be extremely hateable but all of them are also extremely compelling. Blue Beetle was a great comic starring teenage characters who could be goofy, dumb teenagers without coming off the way Ms. Marvel does to me.

I just don't get that out of Ms. Marvel. I think the story itself is boring, paint by numbers teen superhero fare and it's laying on the quirkiness too thick for my taste. I guess it's kind of hypocritical to bitch about Kamala while liking Aracely but Aracely's also a.) a sidekick and b.) has a bunch of other characters to balance her out whereas Kamala is the central focus so her hyperactive internet fangirl shtick is inescapable.

Edit: It's not like I'm saying "STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE". If you like it, like it. Read it. That's cool. God forbid I find the main character annoying though.

no1curr

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Unmature posted:

I think it's lazy to take something you heard from somewhere else rather than create your own content. It's lazy when real teens do it too. Lazy, lazy, lazy.

Yeah well it's a Marvel tradition.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Unmature posted:

HOOOOOOOOO!

Have there been any big examples of this recently? I know Liefeld and Land were the most infamous ones. Land is still working there but I can't remember the last thing I read that he drew. Nowadays it seems like DC are the ones getting called on for being copycats.

Avengers has the Justice League in it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It also establishes she has a super science friend for later.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's not his real first name. I don't know the answer to the question though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah. That was a later reveal/retcon though.

It's easy to find when that reveal was. X-Men v2 #72, it's in the Wikipedia references. No clue on the Lensherr debut though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Like the Magnus thing I'm pretty sure they eventually retconned that Edward Nigma isn't actually his real name.

Obviously it's silly when the person gets powers thematic with their name like Mr. Freeze or Captain Atom, but sometimes the idea is the character chose their hero/villain name based on their real name. Jubilee, Steel, Crossfire, etc.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SilverSupernova posted:

I thought Joker had no real name and pretty much every one we've been given was a pseudonym.
And shame on you for leaving out his highly original "Joseph Kerr."

Jack Napier's from the movie.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mortal Kombat 9's story is just Mortal Kombat 1-3's story with Raiden spazzing occasionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

And dialogue and writing and acting and poo poo.

Uh, Mortal Kombat 1-3 had actual 'actors' in it.

Check and mate.

• Locked thread