Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Common Coder
Jul 25, 2012

No spoilers, please!

inFAMOUS 2 is the 2011 sequel to inFAMOUS, in which all of the elements from the first game are improved to create a very fun sequel. The game features the return of Cole, our hero (or anti-hero!), in an effort to stop :siren:THE BEAST:siren:, our antagonist of the game. Cole is what’s known in the inFAMOUS universe as a Conduit: a human with superpowers. Due to the conduits’ levels of bad rear end, they’re generally seen as threat to those without powers. However, :siren:THE BEAST:siren: is kind of an issue for regular humans so it’s basically up to Cole to do something about it.

About the LP

I’m Common Coder, and I will be joined by Jazzahn (a/k/a Jazz Hands) during this LP. While we joke around a lot, I will be trying to 100% this game with both good and bad karma. The main videos will follow sweetheart good-karma’d Cole, but I will have a second video showing the differences when you have bad karma. The bad karma videos will be much shorter and may not feature Jazz. There will also be videos that just have flavor text in the game (audio in the game that's found outside of missions).

For each of the main videos, we will have a version where we talk over the cutscenes and a version where we don’t. If you don’t care much about the story or want to hear our voices for as long as possible, watch the COC (commentary over cutscenes) videos. Otherwise, watch the other ones and we’ll let you enjoy the story as much as possible.

If you’re wondering if you should play inFAMOUS before watching the sequel, I don’t think it’s necessary. inFAMOUS 2 explains all you need to know about the first game immediately and the plot from the first game really doesn’t carry over.

Videos
Philosophy (1) (COC Version)
Racist Tic-Tac-Toe (2) (COC Version)
Missed Dialogue (No commentary; see video description)
Malicious (3) (COC Version)

Side missions
Side Missions 1
Side Missions 2

Bad karma videos
Bad Karma 1
Bad Karma 2
Bad Karma 3

Flavor text videos
Flavor Text 1
Flavor Text 2

Common Coder fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Actually that first city you were in was the same city as the first game. That statue that gets destroyed is the same statue you climb up to get food off of in your very first mission. Also I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be lovely New York, not lovely Orlando.

Still though I liked this, so I'll probably keep an eye on the thread.

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

Got any extra firstborns?
I like the commentary; very entertaining. Good work

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Definitely following this, always hoped this game would get LP'd.

Edit:Are you doing Festival of Blood?

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 21, 2014

Common Coder
Jul 25, 2012

VolticSurge posted:

Are you doing Festival of Blood?

Probably! I've never played Festival of Blood, but if I decide to include it in the LP (which I'd really like to), it would be after the main series.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I've actually taken a Philosophy 101 class. It had nothing to do with morals, but it was some pretty neat stuff.

As for the game, it looks a hell of a lot more polished than the first, which I have. Also, no blatant texture loading.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

ViggyNash posted:

As for the game, it looks a hell of a lot more polished than the first, which I have. Also, no blatant texture loading.

The first half of Infamous 2 is pretty drat good game.

You get to the second half, and all the good will the game had earned goes swirling down the drain. I'll be honest: I enjoyed the latter half of this game so little that overall I can't say I thought this game was good. There are some awesome additions to the gameplay formula, but there are also just as many janky rough patches as well. I walked away from the game thinking it could have used a couple more months of development to iron out some issues.

Still though, I'll keep an eye on this LP. It helps that the game starts as strong as it does; it's reaaaal easy to get pumped up after an opening like that.

Jazzahn
Jul 3, 2007

Did you just say awesome?
All hail the Holy Dodecahedron! I'm excited to Let's Play this because I've never played Infamous. It definitely starts out strong with the multiple cities exploding.

Jackoff Pastorius
May 16, 2010
I'm kind of getting ahead of myself, but are you going to be showcasing the user created missions? It's been a while since I've looked at them, but I remember a lot of them being hilariously awful.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
This is probably one of my favorite games on the PS3. The environment seals the deal with me, in both 1 and 2 (still need to snag a PS4 to play SS) the cities are just gigantic and it just feels good to crawl on everything.

Jazzahn
Jul 3, 2007

pulp rag posted:

This is probably one of my favorite games on the PS3. The environment seals the deal with me, in both 1 and 2 (still need to snag a PS4 to play SS) the cities are just gigantic and it just feels good to crawl on everything.

So far I'm impressed with the game's environment. It definitely feels like a big city. I also enjoyed that part where I asked if it was a race against time. They did a good job of setting you up to feel like you should be rushing without forcing you to.

Common Coder
Jul 25, 2012

Dalkalopagus posted:

I'm kind of getting ahead of myself, but are you going to be showcasing the user created missions? It's been a while since I've looked at them, but I remember a lot of them being hilariously awful.

Maybe in a bonus video? I wouldn't know how to fit them into the main series so a bonus video would probably be the best bet. Also the game is still heavily in railroading mode right now, so we won't see this for a while.

cranberm
Sep 21, 2013

Just like Assassin's Creed, I never played more than a couple levels of the first inFAMOUS and was content to play around with the very few abilities given from the get-go. This should be an interesting experience. (Especially since I'll spend a lot of it trying to figure out what happened in the first game past what I played.)

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude
I love that the first moral choice mentions that you'll kill women and children AND pets. Like the human lives wouldn't be enough to persuade you but all the cats might :3 d'aww

ViggyNash posted:

I've actually taken a Philosophy 101 class. It had nothing to do with morals, but it was some pretty neat stuff.

They don't seem to tackle morals until the 200s, 101 is usually a history of philosophy with cool stuff like Socrates and lovely stuff like Descartes.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Somethingdumb posted:

They don't seem to tackle morals until the 200s, 101 is usually a history of philosophy with cool stuff like Socrates and lovely stuff like Descartes.

The very first topic was Decartes and Cogito Ergo Sum, followed by a simple explanation of why Decartes is a moron.

Fetucine
Oct 29, 2011
Around 22 minutes in, you kept shooting at an enemy from too far away to hit him, like you realized in the video. The game actually shows you when you're close enough or too far; if you can hit something with the basic bolt power, the "crosshair", for lack of a better term, turns blue and spinny instead of unmoving gray. This is really useful for a much later power (I think it's the second-to-last one you get; it's definitely the last one you get for R2) that has a kinda wonky range until you realize it reaches about as far as the basic bolt.

I really really like this game, it's kinda crazy how much better it is than 1 with pretty minimal changes. Just stuff like the basic bolt taking a tiny amount of energy changes the game a lot; in 1 you had to play cover-shooter whack-a-mole in most major fights, and there honestly wasn't much point to using a bunch of abilities. 2 encourages you to be much more active and aggressive, especially with what some later powers and enemies bring to the table.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Cole makes the weirdest faces when he's engulfed by powerup lightning. He's all "dammit, that was a splinter".

Common Coder
Jul 25, 2012

:siren: New videos! :siren:

So few things to note here: traveling in between missions takes way too long, so I'm trying out speeding up the segments where I'm not actually doing anything. Also, there are a few points in the game where extra audio can be optionally listened to (dead drops, TV sets, etc). When this audio isn't found in a mission, I'll cut it out and release it in a flavor text video (as included with this release).

Racist Tic-Tac-Toe (2) (COC Version)

Bad Karma 2

Flavor Text 1

Common Coder fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 5, 2014

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

My other car is an asteroid
:black101:
Zeke lost any possible sympathy after he purposefully tried to sacrifice a fuckton of people so he could get superpowers like you. gently caress him. :colbert:

Not sure if it's really spoilers or not, since its from the first game and we saw a clip of it in the intro narration. But best to play on the safe side.

Grouchy Fish
Aug 24, 2006
Carrier pigeons aren't extinct. You guys are thinking of passenger pigeons, which I am not sure were even ever used as message carriers. Don't feel bad though, I just watched Ghost Dog and a character in that movie makes the same mistake. I guess it's pretty easy to confuse the two.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
What's the difference between the normal and coc versions of the videos? In the regular one you're still talking over all the exposition and dialog in the game.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
"If you have a future of epilepsy, contact The Doctor" :v:

Common Coder
Jul 25, 2012

Jade Star posted:

What's the difference between the normal and coc versions of the videos? In the regular one you're still talking over all the exposition and dialog in the game.

There's no commentary over the cutscenes in the normal versions. If you guys want, I can remove commentary over in-game dialogue, too.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
That bar in the top left had the same function in the first inFamous. Instead of a health bar they do the blood on the screen thing.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Common Coder posted:

There's no commentary over the cutscenes in the normal versions. If you guys want, I can remove commentary over in-game dialogue, too.

Either that or put things like the dead drop dialog in a separate video. I've never played the game so I'd like to hear what is going on in those.

Five
Jan 6, 2009

I'd appreciate you guys cutting out the commentary when there is in game dialogue going on, too. It just makes sense!

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
The new VA for Cole is extraordinarily lovely compared to the old one, jesus.

Common Coder
Jul 25, 2012

Two complaints are more than enough for me.

I took the footage we had and found the places where we were talking over dialogue with exposition (including dead drops). The video ended up being about 7 minutes long, but if you really want to know what everybody was saying, I hope it helps.

Missed dialogue

Jazz and I are still discussing exactly how we're going to tackle commentary from now on (we might just not talk at all when a character is talking), but no matter what we choose, normal videos will not feature us talking over in-game expositional dialogue anymore.

Sorry about that!

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011
Haven't noticed anyone say this, but its kind of hilarious how you're told to switch to stun so you won't injure the bird. Then once you stun the bird it plummets like four stories and smacks into the ground. Now, I'm not a doctor, but I'm pretty sure that pigeon isn't going to carry any more messages after that.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
What, Cole McGrath has a stun setting? What is he, a phaser on star trek?

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Common Coder posted:

Two complaints are more than enough for me.

I took the footage we had and found the places where we were talking over dialogue with exposition (including dead drops). The video ended up being about 7 minutes long, but if you really want to know what everybody was saying, I hope it helps.

Missed dialogue

Jazz and I are still discussing exactly how we're going to tackle commentary from now on (we might just not talk at all when a character is talking), but no matter what we choose, normal videos will not feature us talking over in-game expositional dialogue anymore.

Sorry about that!

Uncut will stay uncut, right?

Common Coder
Jul 25, 2012

Yeah, nothing will be changing in the uncut versions of the videos.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Zeke is an interesting moral compass in that you should never do anything he says.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Why are they friends again?

Jazzahn
Jul 3, 2007

Its like that friend you had in High School that never really amounts to anything and you still keep in touch with him because you feel bad that he doesn't have any friends since they all moved away or moved on with their lives. Except Zeke turned into a psychopath rather than a manchild who doesn't leave the house.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Crane Fist posted:

Why are they friends again?

Cole has no other friends. It's Zeke or nothing. :smith:

Common Coder
Jul 25, 2012

I like to that think Cole was friends with Zeke's brother, who's dying wish was "Look, I know he's a total tool, but just take care of my brother for me." If Cole wasn't around, Zeke wouldn't have anything to do right now and he would be the manchild in the basement that he really would be better off as.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm pretty sure if I was Cole I would have dropped him off a roof two months ago and pretended Kessler did it or something. The ONLY THING he does is make things worse and Cole's life harder

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
I played iF2 recently and I don't remember Zeke doing anything particularly egregious :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marlinspike
Aug 7, 2010
not so much in this one but in the first game he pulled a total dick move on you

• Locked thread