Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thurm
Nov 11, 2008

Spiderdrake posted:

Maybe he feels like he has written enough "big 2" style stuff, is a bit low on ideas for past that and wants to gracefully recharge rather than just staying on to phone in a bunch of stories?

I can't imagine he won't do anymore Marvel work in his lifetime, so I'll tend towards the positive outlook.

I've gotten the impression that he's wanted to go back to illustrating his own stuff again but he's never had the time due to writing for Marvel. He hasn't even finished Feel Better Now and that was supposed to come out in 2011.

Thurm fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
Hickman still has S.H.I.E.L.D left to do, but that might come out before his last issues of Avengers.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

goldenoreos posted:

Hickman still has S.H.I.E.L.D left to do, but that might come out before his last issues of Avengers.

In that AMA he says issue 5 is done and 6 is written and half drawn.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Man I don't want Hickman leaving Marvel for any amount of time.

I bet Jason Aaron takes the reins.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

E the Shaggy posted:

Man I don't want Hickman leaving Marvel for any amount of time.

I bet Jason Aaron takes the reins.

Bendis returns!

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I think they're quietly grooming Fialkov for something.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

Wanderer posted:

I think they're quietly grooming Fialkov for something.

Humphries :getin:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh my God Avengers and New Avengers were loving awesome.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Holy poo poo, Avengers! :allears: Haven't read New Avengers yet.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
The Uncanny Avengers annual is magical and you have to check it out.

Also agree on both Avengers and New Avengers being totally awesome this week.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."
Holy poo poo, double injection of payoff. We're back in high gear again!

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

As Deadpool once said, "Nobody cares about your fake world's fake history" so that part of New Avengers fell flat.

Namor and T'Challa being bros was really good, though.

Avengers was really loving awesome. So SHIELD took the fake-alternate Hulk into custody, right?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

notthegoatseguy posted:

Avengers was really loving awesome. So SHIELD took the fake-alternate Hulk into custody, right?

Yup. Real Banner is now with The Illuminati.

THE HULK is now part of the team that shot him off to space :allears:

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yup. Real Banner is now with The Illuminati.

THE HULK is now part of the team that shot him off to space :allears:

I liked the Planet Hulk/WWH reference with "Well, you are the worldbreaker, right?"

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

notthegoatseguy posted:

As Deadpool once said, "Nobody cares about your fake world's fake history" so that part of New Avengers fell flat.

To an extent but I can't help but like Sun God's optimism, I almost want him and his team to succeed against The Illuminati.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Starsnostars posted:

To an extent but I can't help but like Sun God's optimism, I almost want him and his team to succeed against The Illuminati.

I'm pretty sure this ends with our Illuminati winning but looking no different than the other faction if not outright evil.

Bonus points if them destroying a living world is witnessed by everyone.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
If I were registering on these forums today, I would be forced by circumstance to use the handle of Rumpus Dungeon.

MagnesiumB
Apr 13, 2013
Dang I liked Avengers and New Avengers today, now that Hickman's given an ending date for this run I feel maybe a little less worried that some of it was starting to meander. Still really disinterested in Avengers World so far.

Question, have we seen any of the Ivory Kings yet? I know we've seen the Black Priests and the Mapmakers so far and we've also seen that both of those two come from attempts to deal with the Incursion Events. I'm wondering if maybe The Ivory Kings aren't a possible outcome for the Illuminati, the end result in universes where they continue to battle against the Incursions by further compromising their morals?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
It's pretty hard not to want Hickman's Justice League to beat the Illuminati at this point.

The Illuminati getting crowded is kinda funny, tho. We got Black Bolt's brother, Banner and we already know that Cap's gonna remember. Put in Thor somehow and you've got a very normal Avengers lineup.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Oh man...So excited for this.

Also, I really hope someone makes a Midnight Sons Supernatural Avengers book already. Its long past due.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Am I the only one who started feeling like the Sentry is going to come into this somewhere, after Sun God pulled off a 'power of one million exploding suns' style hyper combo there?

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I loved New Avengers. I feel like the New Avengers and faux Justice League will try to solve this problem together, if only because they are the only other rational people we see. I just have no idea what they could possibly do together. At all.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Avengers was freaking TENSE. Great Hickman books this week.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I get the feeling that the Illuminati are really gonna hate that Bruce figured it out if he's around them when he learns they hosed around with Captain America's memories.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
It's really awkward reading a comic where Bruce Banner is smart enough to figure out the Illuminati's secret on the same day as a comic comes out where Mark Waid literally makes Bruce Banner retarded.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide

TwoPair posted:

It's really awkward reading a comic where Bruce Banner is smart enough to figure out the Illuminati's secret on the same day as a comic comes out where Mark Waid literally makes Bruce Banner retarded.

Timey-Wimey Ultron-Wultron

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Avengers was so loving good you guys, the whole interaction between Tony and Bruce was just so tense. The end was amazing too. Was that citadel thing one of the places between realities which was seen earlier in the run? I'm really going to have to go back and read it from the beginning.

I only got a few pages into New Avengers during my commute this morning (why didn't I just read them last night? :negative:) but it's brilliant so far, too. I loved that opening page - the Anti-Heroic Age. :allears:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah Mapmakers seems to have a station in between realities. No idea if this is their main HQ as one station sure doesn't seem to be big enough for a group that has mined countless Earths.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

So what the flying gently caress did I just read in Uncanny Avengers? There's been like, hints of greatness during the year or so this book has been going. But for the most part it has just been a clusterfuck with a ton of characters doing so many things it is hard to keep track and hard to get emotionally invested in.

I think part of why X-Force was so great is because the focus was very narrow. There was the core 5, and even when Deathlok or AOA Nightcrawler came on, one of the other 5 usually took a backseat so the focus wasn't so spread.

But how many people are now on the Unity team? A dozen? With like 6 villains in each story?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

TwoPair posted:

Yeah, I'm a little hosed off by the inconsistency. They could probably write it off as a alternate dimension switcheroo, I guess. The only person who would know what's up would be Maria Hill and that's consistent with her character being two-faced.

Otherwise I loved the crap out of Avengers& New Avengers.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

coconono posted:

Yeah, I'm a little hosed off by the inconsistency. They could probably write it off as a alternate dimension switcheroo, I guess. The only person who would know what's up would be Maria Hill and that's consistent with her character being two-faced.

Otherwise I loved the crap out of Avengers& New Avengers.

Yeah I'm not too bothered by those not lining up, since the only thing that has come over from Waid's Hulk is the armor. Have his assistants or anything ever shown up in other books?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

TwoPair posted:

Ugghhh I'm so glad I dropped the new Hulk after one issue.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Senor Candle posted:

Yeah I'm not too bothered by those not lining up, since the only thing that has come over from Waid's Hulk is the armor. Have his assistants or anything ever shown up in other books?

It sucks because I read the first 3 issues and they're pretty good. #2 with Stark and Banner being Scientist Bros was awesome and it seems like Hickman is channeling some of that in this week's Avengers issue.

But then it just becomes this weird book with no real focus.

K9 Philosopher
Jun 21, 2005
Do what now?

notthegoatseguy posted:

It sucks because I read the first 3 issues and they're pretty good. #2 with Stark and Banner being Scientist Bros was awesome and it seems like Hickman is channeling some of that in this week's Avengers issue.

But then it just becomes this weird book with no real focus.

The problem I feel that book had was it got too swamped with crossovers, to the point where it didn't tell the stories it promised. Bruce Banner making up for lost time by fixing the world, aligning his destructive nature for whatever SHIELD wanted to use it for, and in the process actually being a little bit scarier than the Hulk, is an amazing premise for a story that never really panned out to where it should. Same with the lives of his assistants: it felt like their stories were leading somewhere, and then proceeded to not get there.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

MagnesiumB posted:

Question, have we seen any of the Ivory Kings yet? I know we've seen the Black Priests and the Mapmakers so far and we've also seen that both of those two come from attempts to deal with the Incursion Events. I'm wondering if maybe The Ivory Kings aren't a possible outcome for the Illuminati, the end result in universes where they continue to battle against the Incursions by further compromising their morals?

Lots of foreshadowing this week with Namor and T'Challa referring to their kingdoms and their status as fallen Kings. As far as I know though, the Ivory Kings have only been barely referred to. We know that Black Swan's key to the library nexus (from the flashback story of her and her brother) was a gift from the Kings.

Anyone catch that the Justice League landed in some Apocalypse egyptian sphinx area before meeting up with our Illuminati? Maybe more foreshadowing with Rabum Alal = The Great Destroyer = Apocalypse?

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 1, 2014

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

hope and vaseline posted:

Anyone catch that the Justice League landed in some Apocalypse egyptian sphinx area before meeting up with our Illuminati? Maybe more foreshadowing with Rabum Alal = The Great Destroyer = Apocalypse?

Yeah I saw that. I can't remember my X-men trivia if Apocalypse was singular to the multiverse or not.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

No he is not. Remember when Magneto tore him apart in AoA?

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."
I find the idea of it being an alternate Apocalypse really interesting and intriguing -- It'd occurred to me as well with those Egyptian Empire ruins -- and it'd fit incredibly well with the character. It'd just also be sort of out of left field for Hickman, since he hasn't really been shown/referred to until this arc.

But for a dude who's entire credo is survival of the fittest, setting up a gigantic survival of the fittest competition between every alternate Earth is directly in line with his M.O.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Going from Thanos to Apocalypse....hrrrm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

d00gZ posted:

I find the idea of it being an alternate Apocalypse really interesting and intriguing -- It'd occurred to me as well with those Egyptian Empire ruins -- and it'd fit incredibly well with the character. It'd just also be sort of out of left field for Hickman, since he hasn't really been shown/referred to until this arc.

But for a dude who's entire credo is survival of the fittest, setting up a gigantic survival of the fittest competition between every alternate Earth is directly in line with his M.O.

You'd think Hickman would have touched on Apocalypse, or the Celestials at least, but it seems they're being left with Remender.

Apocalypse was a member of the original SHIELD when they defended ancient Egypt from the Brood, but I doubt that has anything to do with the Avengers.

• Locked thread