Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Strange ends up disconnected from the rest of marvel on his solo runs, even his earliest runs have him off somewhere fighting evil and his personal demons which doesn't meld with the marvel interconnectivty they like to push.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

See by trying to write good stories he's trying to ape the golden god of comics Grant Morrison.

The one Morrison says only exists in people's brains and even he's tired of trying to live up to.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Fuckstick Electric posted:

Uatu is dead during this whole multiverse/Earth car crash thing, right? You know, the guy who'd save Earth by handing over the Ultimate Nullifier probably wouldn't sit on his thumbs if an impending destructive event was coming to, you know, wipe out an entire universe, would he?

Yup, but since whatever did this laid The Living Tribunal out there's approximately jack and poo poo Uatu could have done anyway.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Hickman has covered that base, relocate the earth and you are stranded in your own universe after the incursion passes until the whole multiverse comes crashing down.

Incursions are not natural, whatever is causing them has rigged the game well enough that opting out still gets you destroyed just a little later.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

You know the twist is probably going to be that the bomb the Illuminati left on earth is actually set to blow up their earth if they fail.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

SynthOrange posted:

And it's not like he's not gone through this already with using FORBIDDEN ARTS during the whole World War Hulk thing. Oh hey, that was also the Illuminati making poor decisions that'd bite them in the rear end.

Strange's soul has been stained for a long time, first thing I ever read involved him trying to use "good" magic and it rebelling and fizzing out because of what he'd done the issue before.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Starsnostars posted:

Hulk may not have started the fight that angry but he sure got angry when Sun God called him "nature" and "out of control".

Was the planet shattering beneath his feat and waves of anger? Then the Hulk wasn't really that angry.

The not-JLA were always going to be stronger, impossibly strong in fact, so they'd have enough hubris to they think they can hope their way into fixing the incursion. Ideal circumstances and perfect beings who've never had to compromise themselves for a second of course they think they can fix it.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

I think Strange has destroyed at least a few pocket dimensions to keep the 616 safe before.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

PupsOfWar posted:

it's even sillier in the (super common) Superman vs Hulk case because Supes and his derivatives have so much other stuff over the Hulk that there's no reason they have to fist-fight.

These fights should end when Supes/Supes analog just drops Hulk/Hulk analog off in space, at which point the Hulk couldn't do anything other than float around and scowl. The reason they don't is probably that artists point out that it would be a boring thing to draw. This is fine, but it illustrates that there's no reason whatsoever to try and be ~realistic or even ~consistent about strength levels. These conflicts will almost always have some other, more arbitrary solution and will be dictated instead by the needs of the narrative.

That doesn't work with Hulk, Hulk can propel himself through space by being mad. I poo poo you not that has happened. Thrown into space on a trajectory so he wouldn't hit anything, got mad enough to turn the gently caress around. Hulk isn't strong, Hulk warps reality wielding the power of being pissed.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

He also developed the ability to punch ghosts. Punch. Ghosts.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

jsoh posted:

They sent him back so he could help kill the justice league

Very unlikely. There's a future so we pretty much know they won the fight without Tony, actually we pretty much know that 616 Earth survives all the incursions. We also know how they did it apparently wasn't worth the cost.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

I guess all the time travel stuff would look predestined to somebody who is functionally omniscient. All the Kangs and Imortusi results came out like they were always going to, minus a pocket alternate timeline or twelve that wouldn't be worth mentioning.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

It's not really a reboot if they say everything dies and lives and all continuity stays the same, it's more an Infinity Gauntlet deal where it's undone but not unwritten.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Nevvy Z posted:

He's here now. And Osborn is his dad or something I think.

His Dad was always the evil head of an evil corporation and now he's trying to protect his great-something-grandfather so he doesn't get wiped from existence. Of course it means he's not actually Irish-Mexican so dock some diversity points from Mighty.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Senor Candle posted:

How do you get that he can't be Irish-Mexican?

Well his Irish heritage was supposed to be from his Irish Cop father's side but he's actually the result of an affair with the WASPiest guy to ever run an evil mega corporation.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Wanderer posted:

I'm not sure it docks any "diversity points" when a guy who thought he was Irish/Mexican is actually Some Other White Guy/Mexican.

His mom actually kinda kicked rear end, as I recall.

There's no kinda to it, most of Conchata Ohara's panel time could go in the badass panel, she survived an overwhelming Atlanten force with nothing but a shotgun.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

It's easy to sit outside of the situation knowing that even if the iluminati sat on their thumbs eating hostess fruit pies poo poo would have worked out because the gravy train don't stop but Namor as a character isn't aware that he's in a fantasy world. Hell the Number of times they have saved the universe should scare any character in the know shitless because nobody bats a thousand forever.

But the idea that if they did nothing they would be absolved of the deaths they failed to prevent is the greatest misunderstanding of the cape comic medium's moral standard I have run across. "With Great Power Come Great Responsibility" is the marvel multiverse's prime rule handed down by the One Above All for Uncle Ben's sake.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Valaria would be blowing up the other earths the second she could, she's still got the moral compass of a selfish child and Franklin is basically the infinity gauntlet omnipotent in our universe near powerless outside of it so he could move the other earth out of the way and then probably die.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Lurdiak posted:

And now we're getting back to why I dropped the book. :shrug:

It's a malevolent force powerful enough to cause the collapse and eventual death of the multiverse, if there was such a simple out I'd be calling bullshit. If it was a malfunctioning Doombot I'd be calling bullsht.

:doom:"You have to play my game of death or die!"

:rolleyes: "Whatever, I'm leaving."

:doom:" Curses I didn't think of that! Sdrahcccccciiiiiirrrrrrr!"

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Aug 1, 2014

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

First Bass posted:

My favorite DC/Marvel crossover is New Avengers, where Strange beats Superman, Batman, the Flash and Dr. Fate all at once. :shepface:

He just saved up enough jobber points to activate his limit break.

Strange should really be hooking back up with the Vishanti at this point. The chutulu monster that punked the not JLA would have been punked by old school Vishanti backed Dr.Strange as an opener to a date with Clea issue. Actually Old School Strange would have laughed off the offer to sell his sold for the powers of A God, "One measly deity? I beat three Gods of fear and one part of the first evil last week!"

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Aug 3, 2014

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Matlock posted:

I'm still a little confused as to how Tony Stark's repulsors hit Strange hard enough to beat Not Cthulu out of him

I thought it was actually waking him up. Strange basically gets knocked out, then Cthulhu's starts leaking out kills the Society and then Tony restarts his brain with the repulsor and Cthulhu loses his gate.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Codependent Poster posted:

Black Panther did let Wakanda kill a whole bunch of Namor's people, so he's no saint. I really don't like T'Challa at all.

Yeah at this point Strange and Namor are the only ones coping to what they have become and T'Challa is just being all, "You murdered my people after I let my people murder your people! GRRRRRR I'M ANGRY WITH RIGHTEOUSNESS!"

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

He'll be the makes tough choices guy. Dude triaged a planet to save two universes.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Boogaleeboo posted:

Scott Lang, jumped up electrician, mastered the use of Pym Particles. Literally every single person that has been involved in the study of Pym Particles not Hank Pym has been better at using them than he is. Add to that most attempts to make Pym relevant fizzle out and you have a character that is primed to be thought of as a failure forever. Unless he gets really lucky and a great writer gets an idea for him, he could absolutely fade into oblivion.

Pym should fade into oblivion. He's never going to escape the slap because writers are never going to stop bringing up the one interesting thing he's done, (Ironman will have be the one who actually invented Ultron by next summer). He needs to die and stay in the ground for a decade or so then maybe he can get brought back and reworked.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 18, 2014

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Yeah they are both grandfathered into repeated attempts at relevance because old means good.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Considering their nature of the sky opening up and stuff coming through it's not really indicative of anything major on the marvel earth. The old joke of it must be Tuesday but really that poo poo happens all the time.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Senor Candle posted:

Here's an easy pitch. "Hey Thanos do you want to go kill some Earths with me?

I can only imagine the response as a childlike excited "Boy do I!"

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

It's basically the only chance they have. Also little tidbit afterlifes aren't multiversal so when the universe and it's fundamental elements gets destroyed it's actual destruction not just death.

It's probably why Thanos is involved Death is a fundamental force in the universe and is threatened by the incursions.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Zachack posted:

I thought it saves the universe but forever cuts off contact with other universes, so no more Beyonder.

The incursions will eventually destroy the entire multiverse even the cut off ones when they hit a certain tipping point.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 22, 2014

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

That would have involved revealing what they had done and they are all too selfish for that. They decided to martyr themselves at the cost of two universes and the acceleration the end of literally everything for the imaginary moral high ground they have in their heads.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 22, 2014

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

WickedHate posted:

Captain America and the Great Society.

They chose inaction and so would he. The Great Society's plan was to hope everything works out real hard, it was cripplingly naive.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Aug 23, 2014

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Cyclops on a team with Cap (even if Cap was just around for a little while) while he was still being kinda hunted by SHIELD would have been hilarious.

Also, oh man now I really want the Illuminati to hit an incursion where the other side is being protected by a Phoenix powered Jean.

It'd get chumped like it should have been in AVX. "Oh no the Phonix is rampaging" "Send the b team, it's poker night."

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Seldom Posts posted:

Have they explained why they can't use the future technology they used in regular avengers to make the 'rogue planet' occupy the same space as the earth to have the two incursioning earths occupy the same space?

No but it'd probably hold the same effect as moving the earths, you are still eventually destroyed when the multiverse collapses and stranded in your universe unable to stop the incursions from do so, yadda yadda

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

notthegoatseguy posted:

Strange's refusal to pull the trigger wasn't done out of any sense of morality. In NA 21, he's basically saying "gently caress you guys for rejecting my beautiful Cthulu. Shove it up your rear end" except in a much more Strange-esque way.

Of course now that he's back down to reality, he might feel a bit different.

Strange had already done it. He'd pulled the trigger with the cthulu summoning and they stopped him. It was going to destroy the other earth, it was probably going to kill him, probably going to destroy his existence completely. It was an act where he could do what was needed and would be punished for it. He could have pretended he was going to a noble death but they took that chance from him and now he's got to live with it.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 25, 2014

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

The Question IRL posted:

let's not kid ourselves. What they are doing is murder.

Lets not kid ourselves letting two universes die when you can save both and choose not to is murder.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

It'd be a short trial.

Defense: So mister Captain America You claim there was a better way but Reed Richards didn't invent it out of what was left of a toaster?

:911: : well I uh I mean

Judge: I've heard enough, case dismissed.

:911: : Wah, I'm gonna go be Nomad again.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Heroes Reborner

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Franklin hates deaf people.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

I think Hickman's contribution was scribbled on a napkin and signed - seeya in the real marvel universe poo poo lords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

No, they are going blame the characters not the writer for the book's failure and they will be shelved until they need somebody to go evil or die.

• Locked thread