Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
Those who dislike it are in the minority on this board, at least as far as I've seen. I'm a big fan of Hickman, and I'm enjoying it. As far as "emotional connection or narrative catharsis", his Fantastic Four/FF run has both in spades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.

TwoPair posted:

Yeah, the one constant is that it's always the Illuminati holed up in a basement trying to fix the problem by themselves. Of course, if you were cynical you could point out that The Great Society doesn't exactly seem to be overflowing with members either, they're just a lot more optimistic about the odds of stopping incursions non-violently. But then, we don't know a lot about their stupid fake Earth, maybe it just doesn't have a lot of heroes.

In the 16.now issue, it states the Great Society came together when their world's previous super-group fell to an invasion (with what appeared to be Kree and Skrull shown). The page showed that Earth's Psylocke, Wolverine, Namor etc getting attacked. It described the Society as outcasts that banded together to save the day. So there at least were other heroes once. One thing I am curious about, is the lack of a Wonder Woman analog among all the big JLA equivalents. We do now know there was a 3rd incursion the Illuminati didn't see, and the Society sure didn't want to talk about it.

Madrox fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 15, 2014

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
Heheheh, lookit' Uatu's stubby lil' arms. Moreso than normal anyway... Oh, and the dead cosmic arbiter of justice I guess.

VVVVV - Agreed

Madrox fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jun 22, 2014

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
I think I remember Strange discussing delving into the book shown in this week's NA issue earlier (and discussing the cost of doing so), but can't remember the issue/scene. Anyone recall where that was shown?

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
I went back and double-checked, looks like the scene with Wong and the Blood Bible I was thinking of was actually in NA #12:

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Wrong book. What Strange summoned/did refers to another back which was shown all the way back in NA#4. Wong calls the book with the C'Thulu looking thing Blu'dakorr which is the title of NA#20. It actually even goes and sets up the failed deal for Godhood as touching the book "stains the soul". What I'm really curious is that when Strange presents his solution says it has roughly the same cost as the other plans involved, all of which meant one of the illuminati staying behind and/or dying.

EDIT: Actually I think the Blood Bible IS the Blu'dakorr so we're both right.

Thanks! I knew there was something prior to what I posted, just couldn't dig it up. It was bugging the crap out of me.

I think the cost of using spells from the book being the lives of men, ties back into what the Norn has been doing by sacrificing his alternate/future selves to draw power. I think that (or some version of it) is also what Strange uses in the annual. Strange splits himself. The demon there responds: "The Muntu Splitting of the Self. Such magic... What have you sacrificed for this power." Strange answers: "I have... Given... ALL."

Madrox fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jun 27, 2014

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.

Dr.Magnificent posted:

I just can't stand it anymore. The idea of a moral quandary doesn't work so well in fiction when I know that the writer created the quandary.

What? So, any fiction with a moral quandary then? That must keep you away from a staggering amount of novels, movies, and a lot of other media.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.

Cabbit posted:

The 100th Anniversary Avengers was good, and extremely pretty. Not that the latter was much in question.

So pretty. I haven't picked up any of the other 100th Anniversary issues, but when I saw Stokoe was on art/writing, I had to have it. It is kind of a painful tease at what would be one crazy Avengers run. The 'next issue' blurb for a comic I want immediately, but isn't coming, is kind of mean.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
Remember, from the earliest interviews, Hickman said Avengers would be life, New Avengers would be death. That's proven out fairly well so far, and things are going to get worse. This feels like the tipping point in NA.

Who knows the repercussions with Strange? Besides what he's done here, he has the mask of a Black Priest now. Maximus' inevitable betrayal is coming soon. With his history, surely some of the others have to expect it. However, along with it, we have the likely release of cosmic herald Terrax, Thanos n' Friends, and Black Swan. Not a bunch of pushovers. T'Challa no longer has the support of his pantheon, and is no longer the Black Panther. We don't know what that means regarding his status with Wakanda. Will he be outcast? Will he kill Namor? Oh yeah, plus those little incursion things. Gah, just give me the issues now Hickman!

Madrox fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 30, 2014

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
I almost didn't pick up Avengers 34.1 today, since it appeared to be a one-off without Hickman writing. I've been mixed on the past stuff I've read by Ewing. Grabbed it thanks to this thread, and it is indeed a great issue. It's a nice single issue story you can pass to people that claim not to "get" Superman, Hyperion, et al.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
Good point, that wouldn't have even crossed Superman's mind. I think with Hyperion's upbringing, he has more of a practical/realist bent than Clark would have. Fortunately, Hyperion does seem to have the restraint and moral compass along his lines though.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.

General Bort posted:

Are you saying Captain Steve Roger himself was a Werewolf?

Say hello to the 90s!

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.

Endless Mike posted:

Please be sure to refer to Marvel's upcoming event by its proper name SIXIS. Thank you.

Argh, this is all I can see when I look at the event logo. I know it's supposed to be AXIS, but my brain always sees SIXIS. I think the design backfired on them there.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.

Jiro posted:

Soooooo any bets on what is going to take the big guns out? Cause there's no way that they're getting sent out there and they romp all over poo poo and come back with kegs of other universe's beer. Cause all of this smells like a huge rear end trap, and Sunspot being angsty and the one to reform The Avengers just feels off.

I don't think Sunspot was being angsty, he was making sure the stakes were understood. He also felt inadequate and undeserving of carrying the Avenger's torch, while founding Avenger Thor goes off on a suicide mission to save creation. On that note, I'm glad that Hickman is getting to spend time with some of the lesser-used characters this arc.

Also of note this issue, Hickman counters any sperging over the time-frame of Cannonball and Smasher's baby with a single line of dialogue.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.

Jiro posted:

Wait I really liked the reveal of what happened, but something is bugging me. Didn't The City and all The Children turn their backs on Reed at the end of that arc? Or am I misremembering how those things went down, like I know the City was built Thor gets chumped Tony gets chumped. But didn't the planet surrender and then a plan gets hatched and blocks on the City's intelligence have it so they betray Reed. Why does it show up again in his super secret evil lair?

Maybe it made its own decision to work with him to stop incursions and save their shared world. Maybe he simply rebuilt it with his 6 months and unlimited world resources courtesy of SHEILD. It doesn't seem like the how really matters here beyond that, though Hickman may well address it.

Edit: Thinking about Namor's next encounter with the Illuminati. I nnneeeeed that issue now. I'm kind of glad Hickman didn't wait to reveal that Namor was alive. I was in the "no body, no death" camp on that one (besides the fact there was no way the Cabal was gone).

Madrox fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Feb 5, 2015

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
I also suspect that we'll find out what caused the collapse acceleration when we get back to Suicide Squad: Cosmic. A confrontation between Thor's crew and the big bad could have resulted in escalation from the villain (or Valeria, or Reed with a goatee, whatever).

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.

Please tell me that's from some kid's deviantart page...

Edit: Oh, Ramos? That explains it.

Madrox fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 7, 2015

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.

Tamizander Rey posted:

Is this confirmed anywhere or are we all rolling with this? I didn't take that from the issue at all.

It was what I took away as well, before checking the thread. I'm certainly not totally sure that's what happened.

Owen Reece is a Beyonder-designed ticking time-bomb for all the universes where he exists, and shares a simultaneous consciousness. When a universe's Molecule Man dies, it also dies. Doom is a messiah to the Swans. Their religion's most sacred act is executing a Molecule Man, and destroying a universe to thwart the death of all others. Do they even know that's why they're doing it? Not recalling if that was explicitly stated. Either way. they are wholly devoted to finding these men, and ending them. Those that betrayed their tenets, and looked upon Doom's work were enraged enough to turn on him. What could anger them enough to go against their God-Emperor (of) Doom? Perhaps the sight of countless iterations of their enemy, stockpiled instead of destroyed? I do think they were in the Library, which was hurled at the Beyonders, and their pre-emptive destruction was the sudden great loss of universes. I don't know if the spiral universe formation itself was supposed to illustrate that as well, or if Hickman did intend something different. I do hope he maybe writes something to clarify later, but it wouldn't hurt me if it stood on it's own either.

One minor thing from the recent books that has annoyed me a bit, is the huge discrepancy in how the artists have illustrated the Beyonders. From varied organic forms by one, to some of the Transformer knock-off i had in the 80s by the other... I guess if any beings have an excuse to be rendered differently, it's them, but I feel like it happened because they didn't communicate. Maybe I'm not giving them enough credit on a Hickman-plotted title, I don't know.

Madrox fucked around with this message at 04:21 on May 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
I guess through wanting to push for a solution, never give up, etc etc. Time-travel arc maybe? Eh, I felt like that was kind of weak myself, and I'm a nerd for Hickman generally.

• Locked thread