Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Waterhaul posted:

I don't know how people can care about Avengers Undercover when the important thing from the July solicits is that Marvel have finally seen the light to give the world a truly amazing Avengers book.

:allears:

Ideally this is a Dum Dum Dugan centered continuation of Half Century War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh man that's a bummer. But with one year to go there's still a lot of story to tell so bring it on.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh my God Avengers and New Avengers were loving awesome.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

notthegoatseguy posted:

Avengers was really loving awesome. So SHIELD took the fake-alternate Hulk into custody, right?

Yup. Real Banner is now with The Illuminati.

THE HULK is now part of the team that shot him off to space :allears:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Starsnostars posted:

To an extent but I can't help but like Sun God's optimism, I almost want him and his team to succeed against The Illuminati.

I'm pretty sure this ends with our Illuminati winning but looking no different than the other faction if not outright evil.

Bonus points if them destroying a living world is witnessed by everyone.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah Mapmakers seems to have a station in between realities. No idea if this is their main HQ as one station sure doesn't seem to be big enough for a group that has mined countless Earths.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Die Laughing posted:

You'd think Hickman would have touched on Apocalypse, or the Celestials at least, but it seems they're being left with Remender.

Apocalypse was a member of the original SHIELD when they defended ancient Egypt from the Brood, but I doubt that has anything to do with the Avengers.

Hickman used Celestials in F4/FF. I don't think he'll be using them again.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

EVGA Longoria posted:

Also, have we heard about the Ivory King before now? Or did Hickman just drop another one on us.

Swan has mentioned them at least once (maybe twice). I know she did in #12 of whichever acted as an epilogue to Infinity.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Leper Residue posted:

I think the Illuminati is trying to keep this hush hush from cosmic entities cause the cosmic dudes will just be like "Alright, let us just get rid of the earth then. Problem solved!"

We already saw a Galaktus deal with an Earth because of an incursion. And the entirety of Infinity/Builders was because they wanted to destroy Earth due to the incursions.

I don't think the current factions shown have any ties to 616's Illuminati. The Norn clearly has ties to the Black Priests but I don't think he's THE Black Priests. Unless Dr. Strange's Godhood is via the words of power the priests/norn use. That could be an interesting angle. Strange gave all of his souls. Maybe Norn gave 20-40% which is why he also needs to sacrifice his future possibilities? What does that make of the black priests themselves?

The Mapmakers are AI and AIM showed a variation of their creation which makes me think they don't have a true maker or leader. They're a collective that "mine" Earths in order to grow in strength. They still have a possible link to 616 Earth via the chunk of dead Earth Doom has in Latveria.

Ivory/Ebony kings we know too little to make any good guesses though the Ivory gift to the swans makes the think they're more than just another faction.

I think the most important thing is we now have a deadline: May '15. So a year's worth to deal with all of this means things should be speeding up and not slowing down pretty soon. The Avengers (and maybe the world?) will be discovering the illuminati soon enough and then they'll be fighting a war on two sides. Black Bolt / Maximus are "dead" so it'll be interesting to see how the Inhimans react to that. Thanos and crew seem to be alive and making a possible comeback? Seriously, there is SO MUCH to look forward to.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 3, 2014

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Well. Cap certainly wasted no time. And that ending :stare:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

hope and vaseline posted:

All of this. Even with half of the issue being flashback, Avengers was fantastic. NA however felt like one big cocktease :/

Strange is back, Panther is going to kill some fools, Black Bolt is back to full strength. Toby is all beat up from Avengers so you know when this is happening. Next NA is going to be amazing.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Codependent Poster posted:

Cap punching the poo poo out of Tony was so goddamned good.

I like that the other Avengers completely backed Cap up, too.

I like it because they're not wrong but the illuminati have done everything they can to look for an answer beyond "blow the other Earth up". You don't have the luxury of time especially if they start occurring at faster intervals. Even Cap's real worry has not come to pass as the only Earth the Illuminati has directly destroyed was dead. The current incursion is the nightmare scenario Cap feared yet could provide NO SOLUTION to.

I'm kinda hoping that now that the secret is out, Hyperion realizes this is what he suffered through. He understands better than anyone just how complete the destruction is and I'm hoping he tries to mediate the argument between Cap and Tony.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 14, 2014

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh man, like an idiot I just realized that the runaway planet from Avengers #24 was probably launched to destroy Earth abs stop the incursions. So there's also a threat within 616 that is also aware of the incursions.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 15, 2014

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Avengers #30 answered a lot of my issues of when this is happening in relation to NA.

Also, Old Clint best Clint.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hooooooooooly poo poo that looks good.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The problem with Strange is that he's crazy loving powerful so the only way you can get him in a position or conflict or struggle is to de-power him and that's a lovely thing to write about.

Like deadpool said, he's way better in small doses that allow him to be awesome then go back to drinking tea.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Every time I feel he's not using Namor enough Hickman goes and does something like today's NA :allears:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Spiderdrake posted:

And that they're really guilty about dwindling marketshare but only one Earth can survive and it will be the one with Namor, right.

I'm ok with this. Sun God's :stare: at the illuminati's solution was wonderful.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I didn't really pick up on it during my first read but god drat this sequence (right before Namor's moment) is incredible.

For all his smugness and arrogance, even he struggled over the decision to be what the illuminati needed him to be.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Atlantis was wrecked by Wakanda in retaliation of Phoenix-Namor. It was shown in ruins during Infinity.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

They're also taking an approach of trying to solve the whole incursion thing at the source. The bridge + studying the incursions shows that they're not just trying to kill other Earths. Blowing up Earths isn't their end goal, it's the only play they have until they can figure poo poo out.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lurdiak posted:

T'Challa was right back then.

If this entire story ends in any other way than the Illuminati realizing their entire approach was wrong-headed and they should've told... everyone... I'll be very surprised.

He was right then BUT he was also the one that got the gang back together in the first place.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I'm... not entirely certain where any incarnation of the Illuminati, much less the current set-up, has done anything one might call "rule the world in secret." Have they done poo poo in secret that maybe other people might have wanted to have an opinion about? Absolutely! But "rule the world?" Seriously?

At what point did we start confusing the Marvel Comics Illuminati with the Bavarian Illuminati?

I actually don't know much about their initial efforts but aside from trying to get rid of the Hulk (which kinda backfired), being guards of the Infinity Gauntlet (a good thing), and now saving Earth and the universe itself from incursions, what else have they done? Like I can kinda get why Cap would be pissed but given the incursions, even if the Avengers were aware of it what could they have done different? At the very best, you'd have Clint applying for Illuminati membership. Widow agreeing 100% with what's going on. Thor may have some issues with it (as shown), but Hyperion loving survived an incursion so he knows what's t stake.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 15, 2014

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

My fear is that while he may play towards redemption, not everyone is going to reach it. Namor, T'Challa, Black Bolt (who has been surprisingly absent in this incursion), and Strange are playing waaaaaay too close for comfort. 616-Reed is hanging on thanks to his family which is the one thing that makes him Special. Tony is Tony no matter where (there's a reason there's ALWAYS an Iron Man in every variant Illuminati). Beast I don't know enough to comment but he's hosed up plenty of things. Banner got played a bad hand and is doing what he can with it.

Assuming the story is leading towards a merger between Avengers/New Avengers (how could it not), I'm excited to see how the world of the world comes to terms with what the Illuminati have done for the sake of saving everything. Like how do you condemn those that have done horrible things when those horrible things are the reason you still exist?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I think you mean Doom defeats and eliminates the Map Makers :colbert:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That looks like Hyperion and a random negative zone bug? That short sequence in NA still confuses me. Was it a flash forward or other incursions from other universes? I'm guessing the latter.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hawkeye eloquently asks the same as me: what the hell is going on?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I think Swan mentioned that while that is an option it basically puts the universe out of the incursion game meaning the Illiminati's goal of stopping the entire thing from continuing goes nowhere.

Same as just evacuating and blowing up Earth. It just gives you a bit more time as the incursions cause ALL universe to end sooner.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

1. NA Annual was loving beautiful. Like holy poo poo make that team do a Strange mini or something.

2. NA was awesome. We FINALLY get the fight and a pleasant reveal regarding Strange only for him to say gently caress it I did something as worse. I can't wait for the repercussions from it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah Hickman said in a reddit AMA that his run ends May '15.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Madrox posted:

I went back and double-checked, looks like the scene with Wong and the Blood Bible I was thinking of was actually in NA #12:

Wrong book. What Strange summoned/did refers to another back which was shown all the way back in NA#4. Wong calls the book with the C'Thulu looking thing Blu'dakorr which is the title of NA#20. It actually even goes and sets up the failed deal for Godhood as touching the book "stains the soul". What I'm really curious is that when Strange presents his solution says it has roughly the same cost as the other plans involved, all of which meant one of the illuminati staying behind and/or dying.

EDIT: Actually I think the Blood Bible IS the Blu'dakorr so we're both right.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah I have no idea what he's trying to say there. Of course the writer creates the quandary. He's the one writing the story!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It's also a conflict that is having a payoff in Avengers since it's the exact thing Cap warned would happen.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Doom will most certainly come into play when it's time to deal with the Mapmakers. Or maybe it'll be revealed that he already took care of them.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Sithsaber posted:

Is Death cool with what's going on? How about Galactus?

Galactus is currently stuck in the negative zone I think. No idea about Death.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

And when he wasn't he actually was fixing things himself by just devouring Earth during an incursion.

That was a different one (referred as Galaktus).

Senor Candle posted:

How loving great would it be that after Cataclysm, the Ultimate earth just gets blown up by the Illuminati?

From today's Miles Morales

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Senor Candle posted:

No, it was 616 Galactus in Cataclysm.

No. The Galactus he's referring is the one on NA#4 who had Terrax as his herald. That's not 616's Galactus.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

AV Club has a preview of the next issue of Avengers, with a guest star Hickman is very familiar with.

http://www.avclub.com/article/exclusive-marvel-preview-travel-5045-years-marvels-206532

Oh gently caress yes.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

hope and vaseline posted:

Hickman, pls make Future Franklin a member of the avengers k bye

Actually, have Starbrand join the FF so he can hang with young Franklin and they can go off in adventures where they're always over-qualified to deal with so they just have fun and learn about poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

goldenoreos posted:

Oh god Hickman is going to kill Franklin with the eye bomb isn't he?

Not a chance. The bomb is probably for Tony.

• Locked thread