Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Axe Master
Jun 1, 2008

Shred ya later!

Fat Ogre posted:

:lol: I had a full time job with health insurance when I went to college. I guess I just don't understand.

Then you're laughably out of touch. Chemistry graduate students, for example, are expected to work in the lab anywhere from full time to 80 hours/week and a typical stipend is between 20 and 30k/year, typically on the lower end. Insurance is frequently done through the school, and at private universities at least is 1. bad coverage 2. expensive as gently caress.

Try telling someone who's working monday-saturday 8-8 to get a full time job. There aren't enough hours in the week for fucks sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe Master
Jun 1, 2008

Shred ya later!
:laffo: PhDs in science should not be pursued by most people because it's 'fiscally irresponsible'. Tell me more about how only the sons and daughters of privilege should be allowed to pursue a PhD :allears:

gently caress you and gently caress your bootstraps nonsense. Do you seriously believe everyone is a temporarily embarrassed millionaire who just hasn't unlocked their ~~full potential because you obtained your degree during a time when it was actually possible for non-educated persons to have decent full time jobs? Is it reasonable to expect every single person to only pursue "responsible" jobs (whatever that means, presumably STEM)? If every single person switched to what you consider a valid field, there won't be any more jobs yet there will be millions more people looking for jobs. You're either an elaborate troll or a stereotypical ignorant Gen Xer.

Edit: hold on, creating the "purge the poors from PhD progams pogrom", or P5 for short

Edit Edit: Man things just aren't the way they used to be, must be because of all those drat lazy millenials and not systemic problems with our society. If only they could bootstrap harder :qq:

Axe Master fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 9, 2014

Axe Master
Jun 1, 2008

Shred ya later!
Wow, well then I guess nobody in the world has emergencies, it's all in our imaginations. That's good to hear!

• Locked thread