Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Fat Ogre posted:

The market collapsed in 2008 with warnings all over the place the market was going to implode.
The dotcom bubble busted in the early 2000s.

So basically at the very least 6 years if not almost 10-14 years to adjust to the new realities of getting jobs and degrees etc.

If you're still considering a PHD in something like Archaeology or any other low paying highly competitive field that is irresponsible or uninformed plain and simple.

Or do you get mad at people for pointing out that maybe we shouldn't use lead in things anymore and greenhouse gases are a bad idea?

In 2000 I decided I didn't want to keep taking CS classes at UIUC (a very good public college) because too many people were in CS/CE and the dotcom bubble showed it was a long term bad idea. Then I decided to go to law school in 2005 because of family connections + it seemed like that was a field that would keep hiring at better rates than elsewhere. Then 2008 happened, after I graduated.

Oops!!! Should I just go get more degrees or just kill myself at this point, in your estimation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I remember reading years ago that in India, hospitals actually did compete on price, and those with lower prices made profits via volume. That isn't a model that will work in the USA because insurance has been around for too long. When I had my kidney stone operations, I would have rather had the most expensive possible procedure, because that was the only metric I had to judge quality with. Assuming no coinsurance, the cost of the procedure is irrelevant once you hit your deductible, so more expensive procedure = better, and I'm not going to pay any of it anyways.

• Locked thread