Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rscott
Dec 10, 2009
man I wish my MRIs only cost $250, got the bill for the MRI I had taken for my back and it was $1300, not covered at all until I hit my deductible. Turns out I didn't even really need it, or the epidural injection I got in my T7/T8, just pain management doctors getting kickback referrals from my PCP in the same hospital network. At least the needle didn't slip and paralyze me for life or anything!

e: I had to wait about 3 and a half weeks for my useless outpatient procedure too, give me the loving socialized healthcare any day, maybe I would have been able to get my back checked out 10 years ago when the damage wasn't so severe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
It's literally everyone's fault but the people who control the purse strings and wield the power in this society. Got any more bootstraps tales for us Fat Ogre? Are you aware that you can't just discharge student loan debt through bankruptcy anymore, and that you have to start paying that poo poo off 6 months after you stop going to school full time? It's not a sunk cost fallacy to be 3 years through a bachelors that you're 60k in debt in already, because you will owe that 60k plus interest for the rest of your loving life. Your tax returns will be garnished, and your already pitiful wages as well. Hardship exemptions are basically impossible to get. General personal bankruptcy law has been tightened as well. Normal people can't just walk away from their debts like corporations can, the deck has been stacked against them.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Fat Ogre posted:

Totally aware of it. Which is why I'm saying we need education reforms, and that people need to be exceedingly careful about what they are doing in school.

When I was in school people would just get a ton of credit cards increase the limits, then pay their bursar bill with credit cards. File for bankruptcy and go on. Now colleges don't let people do that or you have to cash advance and make the minimum payments somehow.

It still is a sunk cost if you keep trying to get a job related to your expensive degree instead of looking for other ways to support yourself and get rid of the debts.

So your solution to a systemic problem that is affecting 10s of millions of Americans (funny how this applies to healthcare costs and higher education costs) is to "figure out a different way to support yourself and get rid of your debt". Stunning analysis really. Why didn't everyone think of that before?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
"Gosh you shouldn't wear a skirt that short when you're walking out alone at night. Yeah it's messed up that violence against women is so endemic but you gotta recognize a broken system. Maybe you should wear a wooly muffler instead"

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Plus healthcare in general is like a textbook example of perverse incentives. Sometimes markets aren't the most efficient way of doing things, I know that might be a shock to some of you neoliberals, but it's true.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

asdf32 posted:

But it's actually not comparatively common.

And it has parallels to a whole bunch of other industries which deal with emergencies (plumbers, car repair) and respond to price signals just fine. So it's really a bad argument against posting prices and using prices as one peice of the puzzle.

If you are comparing a broken transmission to a heart attack you are a god drat moron. Hint, you can die from one, but not the other!

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Fat Ogre posted:

This is obviously a reason why we should keep prices secret. Every medical expense is a heart attack. Earaches, surgeries, bone setting, check ups etc are always emergencies.

That isn't what I am saying at all. If you actually read my posts in this thread you would realize that I am saying a market based solution does not work for healthcare. It doesn't matter if you make that market more or less efficient, you run into inextricable problems that can not be resolved.

e: Plus the actual comparison was between automobile/plumbing emergencies and medical emergencies. You really should pay more attention to the arguments being presented in this thread, you're making yourself look like an rear end.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
the only low hanging fruit is the moronic arguments you're putting forth in this thread, hth

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Fat Ogre posted:

Good reason to not post prices you have there :thumbsup:

I already told you why, in the post you ignored because you can't respond to it.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
And a market of healthcare and insurance providers has proven to drive those healthcare costs far higher than in countries where this is not the case. For both ethical and logistical reasons, a traditional market that neoliberals advocate for healthcare does not work. A healthy life should be a basic right afforded to everyone living in the United States. The profit motive in this market is fraught with perverse incentives and market signals do not function correctly when a product like healthcare is so vital and so expensive at the same time. If the entire healthcare sector isn't outright nationalized, a UHC system where the government is the either the sole buyer, or some other monopsony situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
haha all you depressed people you don't need pills! You just need to change your life, for the better, while feeling totally awful about yourself and possibly suicidal. Sage advice there Kimosabe.

• Locked thread