Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Unfortunately Vermont is still dragging its feet on actually implementing single-payer; the law was signed four years ago and the state still has not produced a budget proposal for paying for it. I just hope they can get their act together soon enough, the single-payer movement in the US is probably going to depend a lot on Vermont's success.

I don't know if I'd call it foot-dragging; they can't actually implement anything until 2017, so it's not like they're losing time that the law could be active and protecting people.

Though, given the speed of bureaucracy, I do agree that they should really try to get something together soon--it's going to take plenty of time to get everything in order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Fat Ogre posted:

Maybe, just maybe, you shouldn't go Skiing if you don't have insurance. :shrug:

You misunderstand--that was with insurance. I went to the ER in November for a constant chest pain that hurt when I breathed. It turned out to be like a stress problem, not a treatable thing. The bill for that? Over 2000 dollars, AFTER my dad's insurance.

poo poo sucks here.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

I really don't understand your argument. Nowhere did he say that the American friend didn't have insurance, and as my own experience shows, you can easily rack up a crippling bill at the ER even with insurance. So what are you trying to say?

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Fat Ogre posted:

2000 is crippling now? Where do you live that 2000 is crippling but you don't qualify for state aid etc for being poor as gently caress?

Wherein I'm a graduate student.

EDIT: Hell, just on a minimum wage job 2000 dollars is 1/8th of your entire yearly salary.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

If the problem is expense, really as a country we are not short on the money to pay for this end-of-life care.

It's just all going to an extremely small slice of the populace right now. This problem sort of sits at the head of all or at least most of our national ills.

• Locked thread