Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Fat Ogre posted:

Were at 6.7% unemployment.. 5-6% is considered healthy for the economy.
http://www.federalreserve.gov/faqs/economy_14424.htm
If all 4 million found jobs that would reduce unemployment by 2.68% means we'd be at 4.02% unemployment which is considered amazing and healthy for our country so again, this isn't that big of a deal.

You cannot get unemployment to 0% nor would you want to.

Underemployment would throw a hex on those job figures just as it is now: ~90% of News Jobs since 2009 Part-Time

code:
                          January 2009       July 2013          Change
 Part-Time Employment     26.351 million     28.233 million     +1,882,000 (+7.14%)
 Full-Time Employment     115.820 million    116.090 million    +270,000 (+0.23%)
Source: Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics.
ECONOMY,US_FILEPHOTO:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Were you not basically saying that the unemployed should just create their own jobs?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I know a handful of successful entrepreneurs. Failure rates make it unrealistic. It, de facto, prescribes leaving these people out to dry. If you want to preserve a healthy first-world society, the greatest utility comes from processing people back into the system, keeping them integrated. Whether intended or not, your line of thinking prescribes letting them fall out of the system.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Fat Ogre posted:

They already are left out to dry because they are unemployed. :wtc:

If your assuming they can't ever get a job because the system is rigged they're going to have to do something until it is fixed right?

There's a difference between unemployed and someone becoming straight up disconnected and ending up homeless, ending up in a secondary system like black markets and gangs, etc.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Counter-argument: Gangs and black markets really do exist.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Fat Ogre, you want this to be a first world country, right? I see the level of individualism you're prescribing as literally incompatible with that. A lot of people do. That's principally where the guff you're getting is coming from. You've picked up on that by now, right? If not, it should inform your thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Vahakyla posted:

I know a person who talks so similar to Fat Ogre that I eerily wonder if they are the same person or if just all "personal responsibility" -retards sound so stupidly similar?

I used to believe the exact same poo poo (much of my family still does). A lot of it functions like a paint-by-numbers 'Assemble your Own Conclusions Kit.' You take culturally supplied concepts, terms, definitions, frames, etc. and run with em' and you end up in roughly the same place with the same language as everyone else.

• Locked thread