Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

anonumos posted:

Name one company that will pay for your school. You see, by and large companies have stopped doing this. Why bother? They can hire another fool who ALREADY went to school and kick you to the curb.

Part of the reasons companies don't do this anymore is that the tax code treats this as a fringe benefit now. The requirements are much stricter on what companies can pay for without getting taxed or counted as salary. This is a bad tax law and ideally should be changed to allow employers to pretty freely pay for higher education expenses for any reason without it getting counted as salary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

You don't need to nationalize the entire health system to open medicare for all. Just enroll everyone in medicare, say "Our budget goal is ~$4000 per person per year", and negotiate prices and covered procedures until you hit that number. Obviously cuts will need to be made, but just start with expensive treatments and work your way down.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

Nessus posted:

I saw a handy dandy "how much the average household pays for X in taxes," and I saw the medicare entry was (for this household of about 50k in earnings) about $600. I imagine doubling that would be more than sufficient to pay for everyone, given that most people on Medicare now are old and sick and busted.

In 2012, Medicare + Medicaid spending was about $1 trillion ($572bn + $421bn), which divided by 2012 population of 313 million is ~$3200. We already have the money and spend it on public health, we just need to spend it better. Ration care to those old, sick, and busted people so that the rest of society won't have to go into bankruptcy when they need their much less frequent/expensive care. Combine this with major cost reductions through negotiation and you are set.

Other countries show us that this is 100% possible to do.

• Locked thread