Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I find it hilarious that people use the word :siren:medical rationing:siren: as if the term hasn't existed for a billion years in medicine under the term TRIAGE.

There is no excuse for the US to not have a better system of healthcare. We pay more, as a nation, for fewer covered citizens, fewer covered procedures, and worse outcomes. The ACA, for all its protections, really only entrenches a system of high-premium/high-deductible insurance that really does jack-poo poo for the average citizen.

It is a staggering ethical failure for healthcare to be a for-profit industry.

Hopefully Vermont will get their poo poo together so I can move for decent insurance without having to ex-patriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Nessus posted:

What?

Granted that perhaps we waste money on heroic measures in some cases. Are you just advocating Logan's Run or something? It sounds like you're specifically advocating cutting expensive treatments and things in favor of much cheaper (and good!) things like "gym memberships" and "bikes." You also seem to be introducing this whiff of "life unworthy of life" which has, uh, poor historical connotations.

I think he is just highlighting the depressing fact that there is an insane amount of profit for physicians in maintaining a solid consumer base of chronically ill, but not critically ill patients. Polypharmacy is bad enough as it is, but with enormous kickbacks, it incentivizes dependencies, most physicians will treat adequately but not comprehensively.

There is no financial reward in this system for good outcomes.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 12, 2014

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

VitalSigns posted:

That's why I only go to my naturopath; institutional "doctors" and "medical science" make :10bux: by keeping you sick. They don't want you to know the real secret to staying healthy.

I know you're being a smartass, but I work in healthcare and see this frequently. MOST individual doctors are not guilty of this, but it is an overall institutional flaw.

Yet another reason that treating healthcare as a consumer good is ethically hosed.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

on the left posted:

Other countries show us that this is 100% possible to do.

American exceptionalism is so ingrained our society that everything is a 'special circumstance.' Nevermind the fact that other countries pay less for more.

• Locked thread