Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
When you give white people a state to themselves, they treat each other really nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Fat Ogre posted:

:lol: Look at you guys getting angry at actually weighing your options and taking the jobs that have healthcare and pay enough to get your way through college.

poo poo isn't fair. I'm not saying it is. I'm also not saying that we shouldn't fix it.

What I am saying is there are ways around it if you put thought and effort into it instead of rolling the dice and gambling on not getting sick so you can get your grad degree and then hopefully get that job related to your science degree once you get your PHD and hopefully you'll get tenure and that you'll never have a serious accident or illness that entire time. Also hopefully your spouse will have decent healthcare in the meantime if you want kids etc.

It is about priorities in life and working in a given system.

Sure it doesn't encourage people to take science degrees unless they have money or insurance from mom and dad.

If you don't have that support network to help you out, DON'T loving risk it and instead take the practical jobs that will get you paid and get your healthcare taken care of.

How many of you saw people that were the first in their family to ever go to college and they went for an arts degree thinking, "I'll study what my passion is!" Hell I've even seen it with some of the science degrees. How many Anthropologists, Archaeologists, Paleontologists, Sociologists, Psychologists etc are really needed? Yet why do people keep getting these degrees?

Surefire way to end up with a poo poo job, in debt up to your eyeballs.

Until we fix our healthcare system and fix the issues with student loans people need to wake the gently caress up and stop loving themselves over.

Tell us more about the white working class chip on your shoulder

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
For anyone tired of sheet metal workers or whoever coming in and posting grim realities about skiing from their trailer park I fully recommend Kaiser Health News and their daily roundup of health news.

In particular, everyone seems to love the idea of single payer but nobody seems to be able to articulate how to implement or pay for it. Given how entrenched private insurance is, I think a German style model where the existing Medicare tax levied on employers and employees be expanded and diverted to purchase private insurance offering essential coverage is probably a more sustainable and deficit neutral option. Rich people can even opt out and buy a Cadillac plan of they want or self pay!

CAPS LOCK BROKEN fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 6, 2014

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

MondayHotDog posted:

America needs WAY more anthropologists, sociologists and psychologists than it has now. It's just that no one is willing to hire them.

And it seems nobody wants to hire engineers either

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Fat Ogre posted:

Depends on the job and the place you want to work.

But "I need a job for money" is about the dumbest non answer you can come up with.

I would like to expand my job skills.
I am looking to advance my career in X and this job looks like an excellent opportunity to do so.
I'm excited for the challenge this job will bring to my everyday life.
I like that your company is involved in XYZ and I want to be involved in that even if it is just starting out at as ABC position to start with.
I want to live here and establish roots in the community and this looks like a wonderfully stable place to build a career.
etc etc.

It isn't even smart enough to lie. It is being honest and not a goony shut-in that can't interact with others or smug idiot that thinks talking to people is below them.

Many times the HR interview is to see how you interact with others that aren't your peers in your job at all just to see if you'd fit in the work environment.

What's it like being a gun nut with a chip on his shoulder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I'm also deeply enjoying gun nuts arguing that guns aren't to blame for america's violence its the bad healthcare system and then in the healthcare thread talk about how only IT workers should be entitled to healthcare

• Locked thread