Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

It's harder than it looks
the "Welcome to a dental fleet. Hope you to, like Squeeki Nbreeki will enjoy laughing at the death of my son." dude is now PMing people in reddit fleets the same thing non-stop

also: p sure theres some kinda ship loadout dupe bug going on, so far i've accidentally (like seriously im not trying to trigger this) gotten a free AP Vuln Locator and a free Spiral Wave array in 3 days. Filed a bug report but v0v havent heard anything back and dont really expect to

Rotation Confusion fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

faxmachine
Apr 1, 2007

Oh yeah....
Somehow I ended up with free Relativity Rifles on a few of my toons, but they still haven't fixed the bug that prevents me from claiming a Kar'Fi on some of my Klinks.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

So wait. A Fleet ship would be :20bux: or about 36 million EC??

:sigh: it's going to be a loooong time till I get a fleet ship. :(

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.

Doctor Zero posted:

If you're getting a Fleet version of a C-Store ship you already own, you only need one module

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Doctor Zero posted:

Roll a klank and farm contra.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yeah, marauding missions can get you a ton very quickly.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Posting for wiki access - registered as Wilekat. I last played this game in 2012 and it's still fun to shoot stuff in space.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Wilekat posted:

Posting for wiki access - registered as Wilekat. I last played this game in 2012 and it's still fun to shoot stuff in space.

Done.

w00tuberjedi
Jul 3, 2007

A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away...

The most uber of the Jedi
Need wiki access please, registered as w00tuberjedi!

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So I know there's a running joke about ship consoles being lovely, but some of them are hilariously bullshit in PVE. I mentioned before that I had a ton of C-Points that I never spent and wanted to buy a ship pack. I wanted the three pack of that ridiculous Romulan dreadnought, but since I didn't have a capped Romulan yet I went with a Vesta.

Some of the consoles in that pack are insane. In particular is the Fermionic Shield-Whatever-The-gently caress. Which applies an AOE heal hull and shield DOT that's as strong as the only other real hull heal dot in the game, Hazard Emitters. And it does it to everyone in the same radius as the science officer's Scattering Field, which buffs damage resistance by a fair amount. Which means it's a very useful ability for a science officer in space combat. :stare:

Popping both of them off means anything nearby becomes a nigh indestructible self healing tank to the point where even the shittiest pubbies can't die. You can also stack Hazard Emitters on top of it, which lets you weather even the gimmick boss attacks with ease. As far as I can tell this thing has no upwards cap on the number of people it effects too, so for these new events like the Undine BZ it's very useful to the "raid".

Makes me glad I didn't buy the Odyssey pack. The reaction I get when I roll up on a lovely pubbie that's getting slaughtered by a STF cube, apply a ridiculous number of heals to his badly damaged craft, then just rip it apart is pretty great.

Edit: Also, using the other AOE field to reflect instant death projectiles at pubbies in STF's will never get old.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 27, 2014

Forseeable Fuchsia
Dec 28, 2011
Could I have wiki access please? Registered as Mock and Droll.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Mock and Droll posted:

Could I have wiki access please? Registered as Mock and Droll.

w00tuberjedi posted:

Need wiki access please, registered as w00tuberjedi!

You're both in.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Archonex posted:

So I know there's a running joke about ship consoles being lovely, but some of them are hilariously bullshit in PVE. I mentioned before that I had a ton of C-Points that I never spent and wanted to buy a ship pack. I wanted the three pack of that ridiculous Romulan dreadnought, but since I didn't have a capped Romulan yet I went with a Vesta.

Some of the consoles in that pack are insane. In particular is the Fermionic Shield-Whatever-The-gently caress. Which applies an AOE heal hull and shield DOT that's as strong as the only other real hull heal dot in the game, Hazard Emitters. And it does it to everyone in the same radius as the science officer's Scattering Field, which buffs damage resistance by a fair amount. Which means it's a very useful ability for a science officer in space combat. :stare:

Popping both of them off means anything nearby becomes a nigh indestructible self healing tank to the point where even the shittiest pubbies can't die. You can also stack Hazard Emitters on top of it, which lets you weather even the gimmick boss attacks with ease. As far as I can tell this thing has no upwards cap on the number of people it effects too, so for these new events like the Undine BZ it's very useful to the "raid".

Makes me glad I didn't buy the Odyssey pack. The reaction I get when I roll up on a lovely pubbie that's getting slaughtered by a STF cube, apply a ridiculous number of heals to his badly damaged craft, then just rip it apart is pretty great.

Edit: Also, using the other AOE field to reflect instant death projectiles at pubbies in STF's will never get old.

Vestas have always been awesome, and I'm glad other people now recognice this.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

Archonex posted:

Pretty sure it's something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPzJSBHG4pI
Time: 3m20s (though 1m58s also works to set the scene)

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime
Squeeki Nbreeki reporting in to let you know that if you receive any PMs or anything from out favorite pubbie @marquisitor to send them my way! I'm creating a scrapbook of precious pubbie moments.

For those not in the know, here's a quick breakdown of events:
He was complaining about something on Droz, and I got word that he has an alcohol problem, and I made some comment about him being a drunk, and how that must affect his IRL relationships He went off about his dead son for hours. He then accused me of being an IRL mass murderer, a child rapist, and a child. However, despite all those heavy claims, his masterstroke burn is my "squicky" voice. He's also said that I should receive the death penalty. Additionally, I've been told by very reliable sources, that when members of his fleet leave, he curses them in the name of his dead son.

Perfectly normal, well-adjusted person.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Can I get a summary of the Bajorans according to Dental? I've been playing one and I'd like to know if there's a more trolly background than a fanatical space-Palestinian.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

MizPiz posted:

Can I get a summary of the Bajorans according to Dental? I've been playing one and I'd like to know if there's a more trolly background than a fanatical space-Palestinian.

Dukat was right.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
The Cardassian uplift of Bajor was tragically undermined my fanatical terrorists driven by religious extremism.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

tarbrush posted:

Vestas have always been awesome, and I'm glad other people now recognice this.

I can't wait for the secondary deflectors for science ships to be implemented. Vesta is going to be even better. :D

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

Lagomorphic posted:

The Cardassian uplift of Bajor was tragically undermined my fanatical terrorists driven by religious extremism.

Some people you just can't help.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime
Good news, everyone!

quote:

[Service and Trade] High Executor Kinsha@hkinsha01: and Nibreeki. you are a goon, you are a dental, AND you are NOP. so by orders of the channel leaderships and rules. GTFO or be muted

quote:

[Service and Trade] Alpha Iradan@Megacharge: High Executor Kinsha has been terminated from the channel for being an asswipe

quote:

[Service and Trade] Alpha Iradan@Megacharge: he was telling people to STFU and cussing and personallyu insulting people, thats against channel rules

And there we go!

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
Please add me to the wiki, registered as Immaryn, thank you.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
I registered on the wiki as Tuskin38

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I just came back to the game and made a dude called RomulanBob@gorelaboo, if anyone could invite me to the global channel, I'd be obliged.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
Can Banderas@revtd get an invitation to the global channel? Also could use wiki access under username revtoiletduck.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

aperion posted:

Please add me to the wiki, registered as Immaryn, thank you.

Tuskin38 posted:

I registered on the wiki as Tuskin38

Gorelab posted:

I just came back to the game and made a dude called RomulanBob@gorelaboo, if anyone could invite me to the global channel, I'd be obliged.

revtoiletduck posted:

Can Banderas@revtd get an invitation to the global channel? Also could use wiki access under username revtoiletduck.

You're all invited to the wiki and/or TheNextGooneration.

Logic Probed
Feb 26, 2011

Having a normal one since 2016

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=16602771&postcount=52

thlaylierah posted:

First: Change is bad, Always.

All successful people should fear change. Only less successful people embrace a change to the status quo as they might be able to exploit it.

Until they found an MMO Oversite Commity to prevent MMO's from unfair business practices we have to take what they give us.

Unfortunately, when they do make an MMOOC, companies that have been behaving this way will simply close down the games cited.

Integrity can't be forced on someone, they need to understand the need for it.

More forums silliness.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Thanks everyone for the feedback on the new OP. I've made some corrections and additions here and there, and will continue to add stuff as needed and increase the size of the Repository of Tears. In the meantime, please enjoy this instructional image on how to properly deal with Scimitars.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I know "spergs fear change and improvement" is a common meme, but it's rare to see it stated explicitly.

Actually the whole thread is hilarious, from the OP on down.

Asimo fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 28, 2014

bubbles depo
Jul 25, 2006

doot doot!

His next post is even better.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=16603131&postcount=56

He's a true predator you guys, and the other players are dumb prey who embrace change.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Ludicro posted:

In the meantime, please enjoy this instructional image on how to properly deal with Scimitars.

I'm sorry, but I don't see the Ramming Speed visual effect. You must have uploaded the wrong image.

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

i uh wow

that's gotta be some kinda "view from the top" troll

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

300 Earth Dollars posted:

i uh wow

that's gotta be some kinda "view from the top" troll

No, I can tell you that he is definitely not trolling. I have dealt with him a lot on the forums, and every single time, it is completely ridiculous.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

DonDoodles posted:

No, I can tell you that he is definitely not trolling. I have dealt with him a lot on the forums, and every single time, it is completely ridiculous.

I always wondered if the STO forums could get any worse than Stoleviathan and xfinity or whatever he called himself. Now I know.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

bubbles depo posted:

His next post is even better.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=16603131&postcount=56

He's a true predator you guys, and the other players are dumb prey who embrace change.

STO Season 9: True predators everywhere :pedo:

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

DonDoodles posted:

When you run into someone using a trolling archetype as a real personality, it is always pretty wild.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
This sounds like a bit of :effort: since I admit I didn't spend a lot of time trying to tease it out, but I just tried to play STO after a brief play long ago, and I absolutely cannot wrap my head around the space controls. Movement is unintuitive (why is W not Go Forward?), turning is slooow (why can't I just turn to the direction the camera is facing?), and half the time the game doesn't seem to be telling me why my phasers aren't firing. Old school gaming reference: I feel like I'm playing Descent again, without a mouse.

The MMO I'm most used to is a ground game like WoW. Is there any way to change the controls to mimic the groundgame in the space phase of the game?

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 28, 2014

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Step 1 to enjoying STO: binding the throttle on your ship to either the mousewheel or the browser forward/back keys. (Hey, I prefer the latter, but to each their own)

bubbles depo
Jul 25, 2006

doot doot!

Preechr posted:

STO Season 9: True predators everywhere :pedo:

Speaking of that literal topic, we had a run in with honest to god pedophilia in STO late this evening. If you see Legate Lashon@ntrusov, kindly remind him of the rules of the game, his home country and of general loving decency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

This sounds like a bit of :effort: since I admit I didn't spend a lot of time trying to tease it out, but I just tried to play STO after a brief play long ago, and I absolutely cannot wrap my head around the space controls. Movement is unintuitive (why is W not Go Forward?), turning is slooow (why can't I just turn to the direction the camera is facing?), and half the time the game doesn't seem to be telling me why my phasers aren't firing. Old school gaming reference: I feel like I'm playing Descent again, without a mouse.

The MMO I'm most used to is a ground game like WoW. Is there any way to change the controls to mimic the groundgame in the space phase of the game?
It's spaceships. You can't just (easily) have W be "go forward" because there's three dimensional movement involved... not just changing your Z positioning, but also the angle at which your pointing to aim your weapons. The turning is definitely an issue at low levels (as you get more skills/gear it's drastically improved... unless you're flying a carrier or something), but it's part of the metagame of shield facings and firing arcs and such too. Which also explains why your weapons may not have been firing; torpedoes (for example) have a 90-degree firing arc, so if you have one mounted in a forward arc and an enemy's behind you or to your side you won't be able to fire it on them.

That said... yeah, Cryptic's tutorials are kinda lovely. I forget if there's any drastic configuration options like there are for ground, but you can change the keys around easily enough. I also recommend flying around outside earth spacedock a while to get a feel for it; you can hold down both mouse buttons to turn along with the camera, it might help get the idea across more.

• Locked thread