Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

YamiNoSenshi posted:

Between that and Captain Bravo being right about what Rufus does with the cash, I'm starting to think you've all played this already.

Oh god, noooo! Really? :gonk:

Edit: Just watched the latest episode, yep. Rufus, you are terrible.

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Deponia: where lowest common predictions are correct

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Doc and Bozo trying to hide Goal was pretty hilarious there.

Also these clowns really did need to do a Scooby-Doo door sequence sooner or later.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So how does the door puzzle work? Everyone follows a set pattern and you choosing a door changes the time spent?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

anilEhilated posted:

So how does the door puzzle work? Everyone follows a set pattern and you choosing a door changes the time spent?

Seems like it counts the number of transitions needed to get from one to the other. So taking the stairs gets you to the heater room, which then transitions back to the hallway. Two time segments. Room 9 requires going out the window, then moving to Room 3, then entering the hallway. Three time segments. And the rooms with no exits are just enter and leave, so one time segment.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

Captain Bravo posted:

Seems like it counts the number of transitions needed to get from one to the other. So taking the stairs gets you to the heater room, which then transitions back to the hallway. Two time segments. Room 9 requires going out the window, then moving to Room 3, then entering the hallway. Three time segments. And the rooms with no exits are just enter and leave, so one time segment.

Some of the characters will also stop to talk to Rufus, chase him, or beat the tar out of him in Donna's case.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
Somebody in the Youtube comments mentioned that you can watched Cletus eat his gourmet dinner. I assumed you'd just get a generic "I can't go in there" message. Shows what I know. I thought it was worth showing, so here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwq6SzQdzeM

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Finally time to get out of this dumb hotel! Deponia is great and all but this segment was pretty dull.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
This episode has my favorite character and my most hated puzzle.

Still no new platypodes. :(

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Near the start of the episode, right after Rufus considered letting Deponia blow up, I managed to sigh "Rufus" at exactly the same time as Goal did. It's rather worrying that I'm getting to the point of reacting to Rufus the same way the characters do.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Before the next update you might want to consider showing of the tutorials of the game.
For context.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

Air is lava! posted:

Before the next update you might want to consider showing of the tutorials of the game.
For context.

Good point. They're up as bonus episodes, but I'll probably add in a note saying you should watch at least one. The start of the next chapter isn't nearly as funny without them.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Can't really blame you for skipping the camera puzzle the first time around, that thing looks obnoxious as hell. The coffee trail sequence is pretty drat cool though.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
There are enough good sequences/puzzles in thr trilogy for at least one really good game if it was pared down, possibly two.

Three games just meant a lot of useless filler.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Sometimes it kind of feels like they came up with the puzzles first and then wrote a plot to go around them, honestly. See also: previous comments re: Rufus' character development.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Rufus's little letter-opener poetry was really the highlight of that episode for me.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
I've got my real life friends bugging me for new episodes, so I guess it's time to actually work on this thing.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Ah yes, USE baseball bat WITH cloning device. That old adventure games cliché.

The fire playtypus seems oddly mundane, compared to the rest.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Air is lava! posted:

Ah yes, USE baseball bat WITH cloning device. That old adventure games cliché.

The fire playtypus seems oddly mundane, compared to the rest.

I'm pretty sure it's just the same design as the fire platypus from the last game.

Speaking of which the water platypus always kind of baffled me. Surely all platypi are water platypi unless otherwise noted?

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Even knowing he's a clone with stunted empathy really does not change how much I like Rufas. Though, if Goal is really dead, who wants to bet we screw up cloning her somehow?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

SystemLogoff posted:

who wants to bet we screw up cloning her somehow?

Oh god, this post, combined with the guy explaining very carefully how those tanks behind him (the tanks Rufus is about to smash) control aging, have "B-B-BABY GOAL" stuck in my head all over again. :gonk:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's... actually really dark, thinking that Rufus won't ever learn from his mistakes. Like, even this. Even screwing up so hard that he wants to die, he will still not learn from, because he can't.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I really want to like these games, the setting is sorta interesting and the art is tolerable. But I just cannot stop hating the main character, to the point where I begin to hate the game. We are not supposed to like him correct?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Have to give them props for the last plot twist, didn't see it coming and it explains quite a lot. Still have to wonder how Rufus ended on Deponia, though.

And no, I don't think we're supposed to like him, definitely at this point. He's essentially a parody of an adventure game protagonist, good as a stab at the genre but in order to make that work he pretty much has to be a complete rear end in a top hat.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

anilEhilated posted:

Have to give them props for the last plot twist, didn't see it coming and it explains quite a lot. Still have to wonder how Rufus ended on Deponia, though.

Well, I mean the cloning station is on Deponia, and it was used to create the Organon, who are based on Deponia. If anything, I'd say the real question is how did Cletus end up on Elysium?

Also, I could have sworn in one of the earlier games they said the Organon were robots. Is that a kind of retcon, or is there an explanation for that?

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
This episode brought to you by the power going out every time I tried to render it.

Oh my goodness look at the chubby little platypus.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I got to say, Rufus is getting a lot more enjoyable as a character as he gets closer to rock bottom. I suppose it's because when everything is broken and busted, he can still do the one thing he's good at, puzzle solving his way out of everything.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Great. Now with three Rufuses (Rufii?), not only is Deponia doomed, but they'll probably find a way to destroy Elysium and its destination planet at the same time.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Oh come on, why would you grind up the original Rufus just to recreate him? Why wouldn't you just kick Hermes into the machine and then clone two additional Rufii?

(Also, I'm disappointed in the game for bringing back Baby Goal. Never have I been so depressed to be proven right.)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
And that's how a vampire platypus saved Deponia.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

Captain Bravo posted:

Oh come on, why would you grind up the original Rufus just to recreate him? Why wouldn't you just kick Hermes into the machine and then clone two additional Rufii?

(Also, I'm disappointed in the game for bringing back Baby Goal. Never have I been so depressed to be proven right.)

At least it's an actual baby this time, and not an adult with a bubbly, naive personality. Baby Goal is on the cute side in the coming section, at least.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Wow, that sure is a lot of sucides in order to arrive at the part we are at now.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Rufus, you shouldn't have embarked on a plan that required you to cooperate with anyone. Even if it was yourself.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Glazius posted:

Rufus, you shouldn't have embarked on a plan that required you to cooperate with anyone. Even if it was yourself.

Especially with yourself.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
He has to cooperate with himself SIX times.
That is quite hard.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
I finally got around to beating Goodbye Deponia the other day and I think I've put my finger on a big part of what's wrong with the series and bugging us all so much. It's all kind of monkey's paw, it delivered on the letter of what I wanted to get out of the game but in a way that was really unsatisfying. When Rufus suffers some kind of repercussions for his behavior it doesn't affect him at all and it kind of feels like the game is petulantly going "There, something bad happened to Rufus, are you happy?" And the character development is so inconsistent that sometimes they actually pretend Rufus has learned something, and then go "Psyche! Fooled you!" and that, in and of itself, is the joke.

I don't think Rufus is a parody of adventure game protagonists, I think he was just written by someone who thinks that's how adventure game protagonists are and likes it that way, and someone else tried to sneak in Rufus being a parody around the first guy's veto power.

Nemo Somen
Aug 20, 2013

Dr. Buttass posted:

I don't think Rufus is a parody of adventure game protagonists, I think he was just written by someone who thinks that's how adventure game protagonists are and likes it that way, and someone else tried to sneak in Rufus being a parody around the first guy's veto power.

Rufus is definitely a character made to poke fun at adventure tropes (especially point-and-click adventure), maybe not a parody, but he still makes of them. However, the method through which those tropes are made fun of is a bit different than some other games (like Monkey Island). But poking fun at the industry is nothing new, so Rufus doesn't seem particularly innovative in that regard. Rather the innovation is in how much of jerk Rufus is. I suppose the Deponia Trilogy did showcase how much of a jerk adventure game protagonists were for humor purposes, but having that as central focus of the game (much less 3) is probably where Rufus becomes grating. Its one thing to have an NPC comment on how much of an rear end the protagonist is, and another to have a game revolve around the concept.

The whole inconsistent character growth bit is a problem, too. But its hard to properly evaluate, especially if, according to others in this thread, the game underwent some hasty expansion of writing/puzzles to make three games. Some areas may be awkward due to the expansion, and others for another reason. :iiam:

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Nemo Somen posted:

The whole inconsistent character growth bit is a problem, too. But its hard to properly evaluate, especially if, according to others in this thread, the game underwent some hasty expansion of writing/puzzles to make three games. Some areas may be awkward due to the expansion, and others for another reason. :iiam:

Well but the whole point is that's an explanation, not an excuse. It's still bad writing either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

Nemo Somen posted:

Rufus is definitely a character made to poke fun at adventure tropes (especially point-and-click adventure), maybe not a parody, but he still makes of them. However, the method through which those tropes are made fun of is a bit different than some other games (like Monkey Island). But poking fun at the industry is nothing new, so Rufus doesn't seem particularly innovative in that regard. Rather the innovation is in how much of jerk Rufus is. I suppose the Deponia Trilogy did showcase how much of a jerk adventure game protagonists were for humor purposes, but having that as central focus of the game (much less 3) is probably where Rufus becomes grating. Its one thing to have an NPC comment on how much of an rear end the protagonist is, and another to have a game revolve around the concept.

It's too much. Stretching the whole idea into three games just made the whole thing wear thin. Taking the old rear end in a top hat protagonist joke and seeing how far you can push it is a fine idea, but making three games out of it is too much. We've got almost random character growth. Rufus seems to constantly almost realize the error of his ways, but he has to snap back so he can do the next horrible thing the developers thought of. And some of the things that happen just to stretch the story make no sense. Goal coming back at the end of Chaos was strange enough, but I guess they just shoved her off the cruiser once she was dead so Hermes could find the body? Wouldn't they want to take her back to Elysium for a funeral of some kind? And Hermes explaining that Rufus is designed to not learn is the laziest of lazy cop-outs.

In my opinion, they could have compressed this down to one long or two short games. There's plenty that could have been taken out, and Daedalic makes enough games every year that they could have used the puzzles elsewhere. As long as they left in the cat food bit.

Anyway, this update is brought to you by me forgetting to put the subtitle file in the video render for the third video in a row.

• Locked thread