Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

twistedmentat posted:

The reveal of Angela being their long lost sister better happen after Thor or Loki hits on her.

Loki isn't a blood relation of Odin, and while I don't know a ton about Norse mythology, I know that among the Greek gods, incest wasn't much of a taboo. I do know that in Norse mythology Loki had sex with a magic horse and Loki then gave birth to Odin's favorite six legged horse as a result, so millenia estranged sister doesn't seem that weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

A_Ruse! posted:

The mythological Odin is missing an eye - he cut it out in exchange for unlimited cosmic knowledge. I don't know if this is already incorporated into the history of Marvel's Odin, but it would be an interesting parallel.

Odin is currently dead, but he does only have 1 eye.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gatts posted:

Wait...Odin is still dead? Was this from Ragnarok? So is Balder still ruling Asgard or is that Thor?

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Odin's not actually dead; he's in (self-imposed?) exile after the events of Fear Itself. With Asgard currently hovering over Oklahoma as the city of Asgardia, Odin is currently hanging out in the space where Asgard used to be, keeping vigil over the Serpent (the main baddie of Fear Itself).

He was shown very briefly in said space in Jason Aaron's Thor: God of Thunder as he prayed for his son to defeat Gorr the God-Butcher.

That's what I was thinking of. I just knew he wasn't in charge of Asgard since Fear Itself, and my PTSD related to that event causes some gaps in my memory.

But he definitely only has one eye.

His three wives are ruling Asgard.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 08:13 on May 11, 2014

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

First Bass posted:

Is there a reason Dr. Midas dresses like Iron Man from the '60s? Also, for all the crazy and campy bullshit I've seen in comics over the years, I'm sort of stuck in a quantum superposition of loving and hating Nick Fury just taking everyone to the moon in a flying car that bears an eerie resemblance to the one Coulson flies/drives in the S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show. I mean, it's awesome in its sheer ridiculousness, but then again, it would have to be the Magic loving Schoolbus to do that.

Anyways, the Strange/Castle team-up I'm looking forward to. The Lang/Frost pairing? Not so much. Also, wasn't Uatu married with a wife and kid? Is the Fulcrum going to make an appearance; the death of a Watcher must be pretty serious poo poo. And with Uatu dead, who the hell is going to curate the What If? stories now!?

The flying classic sports car thing is an old SHIELD standby. Captain America gets chauffeured around in one at the start of Brubaker's run, (same looking red one). I'm not an expert on SHIELD history, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was from Steranko's Nick Fury series from way back in the day or something similar.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gavok posted:

Another thing is that I think there's more than one investigation here. Much like how we're led to believe that there was only one party murdering and pillaging when they're probably not, we're also led to believe that every team-up is put together by Nick Fury. But has that even been confirmed?

Outside of the main Cap/Iron Man group, scenes with the other teams have gone out of their way not to mention Nick Fury. Notable instances include Black Panther's conversation with who we're supposed to think is Nick and Dr. Strange interrupting himself when he's about to identify their benefactor.

If that's what's going on, then that leads to even more questions. Who is it? Why is there a separate couple of investigations? Who is someone who'd be able to rope in both Dr. Strange and the Punisher if it's not Nick Fury?

Also, Nick Fury is asking for Strange when they capture the mindless one, when Strange is off in some other dimension, although that could just be Fury playing his cats close to his chest.

My theory is that since the loving Orb is a major player in this, the shadowy organizer of these other teams is Dirk Anger.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wait, I just remembered, doesn't Dirk Anger have a comically oversized gun that would use bullets of whatever caliber those giant green slugs are?

In more serious matters, strictly speaking they didn't recover a bullet from the Watcher's body, just some fragments.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rirse posted:

You know they could actually fit him in this. His company had access to the Mindless One as well. Plus the story already pulling characters who haven't been seen in years as villains.

Cabbit posted:

Dirk Anger has many comically oversized guns, I'm sure.

I posted this in the image request thread already, but I figure I'll say it here, Can I get a Dirk Anger picture avatar sized?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

IUG posted:

Can someone summerize what is happening with the Watcher's family? I'm not going to pick up that issue regardless of Land's art, but I'm curious.

Blue Marvel is the Watcher's kid's godfather and blasting him with radiation because that's how you become a grown up Watcher.

Also Ulana isn't that sad about Uatu's death because Watchers don't experience grief the same way humans do.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Black Widow, Bucky and Old Nick are probably on that list, Maybe Hawkguys brother Barney. Is Black Widow 2 still alive?

For people who know how to get to that plane of existence, there's also Dormamu's sister and possibly Loki in one of his various incarnations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm a little confused about the having 2 eyes in 1958, didn't he only have one eye back when he was Sgt. Fury and the Howling Commandos killing Nazis in WW2?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

I think a better one would have been Reed Richards or another member of the F4, since that part was supposed to be indicative of his reaction to the start of the Hero age.

I dont know how they deal with it now (since the sliding timescale means Reed Richards wasn't born yet in 1945) but in the Stan Lee/Jack Kirby comics they Reed Richards and Nick Fury were war buddies.

Spider-Man makes more sense, because the FF were were celebrities almost immediately after being revealed, and Spider-Man was this menacing thing that a lot of people were scared of originally.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Fuckstick Electric posted:

This is more of what I was leaning towards. If he took a look in on Spidey during his early days (wait, was that an LMD? How long is Spidey supposed to have been fighting crime for in Marvel NOW), he definitely would've taken a look at Norman Osborn, Otto Octavius, Electro and Sandman. He probably would've quit when The Sentry came into being, though.

Fantastic Four #1 took place 14ish years ago. Peter Parker got his powers shortly after that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Am I the only one your read a very real and dark level of sadness in Wolverine's "You even violated the sanctity of Meat Night"?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm a lot more familiar with Marvel comics than DC, and I never read Identity Crisis, but on the face of it "Nick Fury chumps the Avengers" is a lot more believable to me than "Deathstroke chumps the JLA"

Part of it is the fact that Nick Fury, despite being an rear end in a top hat, has always been one of the good guys before.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

LMDs always bugged me, because they are so often used for retcons, so we will get captions of the LMD's emotional state before it's revealed to be one, and then everyone (after the reveal) just thinks, oh, it's just a loving robot it doesn't have emotions.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

If it's been LMDs all the way down, what does that mean for Sam Jackson Fury in the comics?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

I really hate that they called that character Nick Fury Jr just so that they can state that they have "a" black Nick Fury.

It's the dumbest thing, because I think the odd movie viewer with no knowledge of comics who picks up a a comic could be okay with Nick Fury being white (Whether or not they are happy about it, I assume most people understand that movie adaptations often change significant parts of whatever they are adapting), but dealing with a Nick Fury who looks kinda like Sam Jackson, but is just a rookie agent and not director of SHIELD would be weirder.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wachter posted:

It's not that weird. "James Bond" may or may not be a code name.

No, it absolutely isn't a codename. That's just dumb people trying to spin continuity out of an in joke.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wachter posted:

The only dumb thing about Nick Fury Jr. is the hamfisted "synergy" with the movies.

That was exactly my point, turning Nick Fury into a title is like if Bruce Wayne died and Dick Grayson started going around saying his name was now Bruce Wayne.

The really dumb thing about Nick Junior is that they wanted to abandon every single bit of characterization that both the movie character and comic character shared so they characters will look similar.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The Question IRL posted:

Firstly Skyfall is absolutely one of the worst Bond movies of all time. Like, as much as people mock Die Another Day for having a car that turns invisible, Skyfall has parts that are as stupid and intelligent insulting. And, what's worse, they are smug about it. They are actively saying "all those other films are dumb baby films and not super realistic like us." And then they will have scenes where the badguy can perfectly drops trains on James Bond.

Second, Skyfall (if you chose to look for it) has material that support the Bond as codename material. (How Q, M and Moneypenny are all made seem like they are taking over a named role that had been occupied before.)

The stuff with Bond and his ancestral home can also be fan wanked if you go with the theory that Bond's father was himself a previous James Bond who was granted a new identity by MI-6 when he retired and he went and raised his son to be the next generation of James Bond.

But anyway, that's neither here nor there. The worst part (and it is the absolute worst part) about Nick Fury Jr is he is normally brought in as a soldier with some experience but not the same baggage as old Nick Fury. So they can have a one eyed super spy. Fine. But often most writers don't care, and just clearly write him as the old Nick Fury with plenty of crazy old, grizzled adventures under his belt.

I'm not going to debate you on the qualities of Skyfall (Skyfall isn't even the worst Craig Bond, and once you throw Roger Moore's films into the mix ooh boy), but Q and M are clearly job titles (M is the actual title of the person in charge of British intelligence in the real world) and Moneypenny is that girl's name. The Craig Bond films are a reboot that kept one actor from the previous series, and the pre-Craig bond films operated on a very loose kind of continuity where it falls apart if you think about it too hard, but oh my god why am I having to explain this bullshit to someone.

Bond movies are silly and dumb, but frequently fun and, more importantly, not comic books.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

First Bass posted:

I don't think Fury's fate is as bitter a pill as people are making it out to be. If anything, the Watchers granted him his last wish: to bear witness to the Earth surviving, just so he'd know his entire life was worth it. Of course, giving him cosmic awareness and all that other mojo, Fury would start on an interference streak that would make Uatu look like an absolute non-entity, hence he's chained up. Fury will probably end up being a better Watcher than Uatu ever was, just because the actual Watchers can control him.

The thing is, The Watcher is only interesting when he violates his rule about not interfering, because other wise why are you devoting any space in a 22 page book who literally has no influence on events.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gatts posted:

Like is Uatu an FF character?

Probably, outside of this he's really only been a major character in FF stuff. Galactus has more ties to other characters probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TwoPair posted:

Of course, if Uatu were really ever down with the whole non-interference thing, he'd at least go and cloak his house and not just leave it sittin' there on the moon where anyone can just pop in and have a barbecue. poo poo, at least put your superweapons on Mars if you insist on not locking your doors/hiding, that'd at least put 'em somewhere where people would need a super-science ship to reach you. Any ol' schmoe can reach the moon these days :rolleyes:

If Uatu was ever really down with the non-interference thing, none of us would know who he was. He gave the Fantastic Four the Ultimate Nullifier in one of his earliest appearences, if that isn't interfering I don't know what is.

• Locked thread