Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

bobkatt013 posted:

Wasn't it identity crisis the reason why bss was created?

That and Mallrats Thing's thing conversations started popping up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Angela's being Thor's sister works really well in my mind.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

The Question IRL posted:

Because prayer is talked about as being a tangible thing that has benefits. Thor hears and answers the prayer of an alien girl at the start of the arc. By the end of the arc, every God through out all of time is Praying to Thor to give him the strength to defeat a bomb that travels backwards through Time killing every God that ever existed.

That's still just listing something a set of beings can do, God is a very nebulous term in writing. Thor and other Gods aren't the only comic characters that feed/are empowered by thoughts and feelings directed at them.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

WickedHate posted:

Well, how do you define god?

If you listen carefully you can hear the sound of every writer on the planet disagreeing with each other.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Nick Fury has been dead for a decade it's all just LMDs with his brain pattern.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Senor Candle posted:

She never lost her telepathy, just like every other character affected by it they just can't control their powers.

Wasn't her first issue that she couldn't stop reading everybody's mind and couldn't pick a single mind out of the chaos?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

TwoPair posted:

Comedy option though: The now-dead Fury was the real one and he just didn't see anything when the eye-bomb went off because he's been playing puppetmaster in 616 so long he didn't really have anything left to uncover.

That's actually pretty good. Everyone learned a secret about themselves or their lives but Nick Fury had no more secrets to discover about himself because he'd already figured out all the one's he didn't personally orchestrate.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

d00gZ posted:

SOMEONE DRAW THIS

NO DON'T!

It'll never live up to the image we all have in our heads.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

It's still a relationship that makes sense, the two biggest brains in the defense industry should at least cross paths.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Unmature posted:

Why doesn't Thor just look at the cover?

Thor is a TPB guy.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

I'm gonna have to agree with LittlePriest the level of grandmaster spy was more then enough but Fury is coming off like a thirteen year old's fanfic self insertion character in this, better at everything then everybody and hardcorest of the hardcore.

I'm hoping it shakes out more interesting then it's coming off as right this second.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Wanderer posted:

I don't see how "Fury has been quietly disposing of supernatural and alien threats to Earth for the last sixty years" invalidates any story at all. It's not like, for example, the existence of the Avengers invalidates any story where any other character has had to face a world-threatening event. It's an inherent assumption in a shared universe that nobody can be everywhere at once.

It just means that against all odds, Fury was even more hardcore than we thought he was, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Fury hit maximum allowable hardcore a long time ago and this just pushed him over the edge into parody levels of it.

Plus the "I got my hands dirty so you don't have to" is so drat trite with Fury, every time he shows up that's what he's doing. It's biggest sin is that it boring core wrapped in interesting fluff.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

I'm not nerd raging, it just doesn't feel like a Fury story to me, it feels like a Dirk Anger story.

This is really the first thing Aaron has done I haven't loved, I guess Fury is a little too grounded in my mind for Aaron's usual turn it up to elven then yank off the knob style. I always saw Fury dealing with the subtle threats, the spies and politics, stuff that you can't just shoot with a giant gun or throw an angry green nerd at but now he's been doing comic book hero work the whole time and it's just disappointing.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 20, 2014

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Fury's been the in the background spy-master as long as I've been alive with most of his crazier stuff glossed over and Hydra is the Bond-ish world threat I'd expect him to be dealing with.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Don't get your hopes up for a good Tony smashing, they pulled out the old Smart Hulk card so Hulk is probably going to lose. A Smart Hulk in the story is like having a half starved Galactus show up the fight's already over except the splash panels.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

"There's not time to explain!" he repeated seventy three times proving he actually had ample time to explain.

Also eye patch sporting military guy just chumped a bunch of more powerful people with no real explanation beyond badassry. Aaron really did say to himself "I can make Identity Crisis better."

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

Jane has told Thor that like 4 times though. Why would it affect him more from Fury?

Making the main love interest character the female version of the hero is the most cliche way to go too.

I'm Thordis will all work out in the end.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

The Biggest Jerk posted:

I thought Watchers were multiverse entities, in that there is only one set. They're actually from 616?

Yes to both.

They don't originate outside of the multiverse but are singular throughout the multiverse. Galactus is still the only entity that survived the big bang the entities that showed up in the pre aniliation-mini were just some of the first entities that came into existence, they also promptly disappeared once their role in the plot was over and have never shown up again.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

That's not a revelation it's the writer forgetting that Dum Dum has basically been a brain in an cyborg/lmd body for close to two decades and didn't have the knock off infinity formula since way before then.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

It ended with some neat visuals and... yep that's all I got.

Off the board but not really off the board.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Just have him be Fury's kid and have him trained and fielded by Fury in secret, he's Nick loving Fury nobody would have questioned it "This is my son and he's seen some poo poo, this is his partner Coulson, I gotta go do a thing on a wall peace out squares." *rides rocket bike out through the wall slapping Maria Hill on the rear end as he exits*

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The whole thing just seems weird to me. I mean Uatu just had a kid with a fem-watcher, so I can't see him being all "GRAH END IT ALL NOW".

I don't think he had a choice, like it was a he'd seen it happen so it had to happen Doc Manhattan deal, maybe. Aaron's good a dumb fun but any more complicated then that it kinda falls flat.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Midas is a low enough tier villain he's probably just going to stay dead.

Fury did leave a meaty chunk stew and is now in some watcher provided near omniscient and undetectable, possibly untouchable, body.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Pfft years? Try half a year or less, most of Aaron's big changes have had the shelf life of a banana under a heat lamp.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

He basically rewrote the Ghost Rider mythos and that as well as the whole set up he put in place was dropped as soon as he was off the book.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Uatu is dead? No, Uatu is a dead beat dad.

Honey I'm pregnant!

Oh..uh, whoops totally accidentataly set my own murder gotta go bye!

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Kaleidoscope posted:

Isn't the entire deal for Galactus that killing him would be even worse for the universe?

That's still a lot of bodies for the health of the universe. People freak out over Namor killing one earth Galactus has eaten countless earth level planets.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

bobkatt013 posted:

It was not revealed in Thor 25?

Nope. I'm guessing it's going to be a slow burn reveal.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

galagazombie posted:

I personally think Marvel doesn't even know what made Thor unworthy yet. Someone just thought it would be "cool" and they'll come up with the reason later like they did with Brand New Day.

The Murderweapon Loki is the biggest most obvious unfired chekhov's gun in the Thor line that could make Thor doubt himself enough to stop himself from lifting the hammer. Like every other time Thor has lost the hammer it's not about actually being unworthy it's about him considering himself unworthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

This is my bet, honestly.

Since he can and already offered to cure it with magic I don't know why that would bother him that much.

[edit] It'd be more likely him fixing it against her will would cause his Mjolnir malfunction.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Sep 20, 2014

• Locked thread