Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Baron Bifford posted:

I think it's a bit stupid that Galactus must be depicted as some force of nature who plays some essential role in the cosmic order and thus must accepted. I think it's because it's a bit disturbing for us humans to conceive a predator above us on the food chain. Is an anteater a great cosmic force to an ant colony? Galactus is just a big predator and Reed should never have passed up his opportunities to destroy Galactus.

Well, it's a product of human beings needing to play an essential role in the cosmic order.

But aside from that, I don't think it's any kind of mystic universal balancing stuff, it still makes sense using the predator on the food chain analogy. He just happens to be a very old and pretty wise predator. Ants can't reason with others and neither can anteaters, but humans and Galactuses can. He's still a cosmic level force to us, but he's not mindless. I don't think it's absurd to imagine that he could be reasoned with. The Celestials always seemed far more intrinsically fundamental to the MU and inconceivable to humans.

I also think he was being truthful with the Galactus Seed stuff in FF, albeit with a healthy dose of vested self-preservation. Another younger and more reckless Galactus will take his place eventually. You can read that as some sort of fated cosmic balance stuff too, but I think it can work with the predator stuff too. Maybe the universe can support one apex Galactus at a time and the prey is better off with a status quo they understand. You don't want to kill off your Mufasa and get a Scar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread