Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)
So I just kind of grabbed #0 today on a whim. I just started reading comics, and have mostly only gone through collections of DC/Vertigo stuff so far. My knowledge of the marvel universe consists pretty much entirely of stuff I've seen in movies.

that said, I really enjoyed whatever it was that I just read. Avengers showing up to chill out with a pretty cool super suit kid. Weird quiet watching dude who's really intriguing. Crazy comicbooky multiverse energy all over the drat place. I'm going to keep reading this. Is there anything I really need to know, read or understand to get what's going on here? I gather that this story is going to be somehow related to something else, like a reboot - is that correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

bobkatt013 posted:

No. The watcher is just there to watch an not get involved but he always does. He also used to host a comic called what if which is where the multiverse energy comes from. It seems the everything you need to know will be told to you.

There is no reboot in fact this will be characters finding poo poo out

Cool - thanks man. I think seeing people discuss the What If connection is what fooled me into thinking something was being rebooted or retold. I'm pretty excited to follow this story in real time. I'll probably post annoying marvel baby comments in here, after each release. Be excited.

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

Guys. I'm pretty new at this. What's the deal with those gray things that seem to have developed self awareness via the watcher's eyeball? I get that they used to be mindless monsters, and aren't enjoying the whole "conscious thought" thing very much, but I feel like there's some history I'm missing. Also - who is Dr. Midas, and why are we speculating that he's involved? Based upon a google search, I've gathered that he's a dude who knows how to rock a chunky golden suit of armor.

On another note - did anyone else get a free bouncy watcher eyeball from their comic shop? Or did (oh poo poo SPOILERS?!) my comic book guy kill Uatu?

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

FilthyImp posted:

I want the mystery to be bugfuck crazypants poo poo.

Like Fury and Odin steal the eyes to give them maximum knowledge type of poo poo.

The mythological Odin is missing an eye - he cut it out in exchange for unlimited cosmic knowledge. I don't know if this is already incorporated into the history of Marvel's Odin, but it would be an interesting parallel.

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

What exactly happened in Avengers 29? Original Sin 0 got me started on monthly floppy comics, and I grabbed 29 today because it's a "tie in" - some cool stuff happened, but I didn't really understand it all. Cap's mad at Tony Stark for trying to make a super-weapon that destroys alternate universes because doing that saves the main universe, maybe? I totally understand why Captain America would take a moral stand against ultimate destructive power, but I'm not exactly sure what Stark was up to in the first place. And also one time Cap used the infinity gauntlet on like . . . a moon? What was that about?

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

IUG posted:

[Discussion of Avengers/New Avengers]

Avengers and New Avengers are pretty awesome, and New Avengers mostly deals with the incursions if you want to read more about it.

^ This sounds amazing. I'm going to have to a chat with my comic book guy about some back issues, and try to catch up.

Codependent Poster: Awesome summary of the central theme. Cap is such a great character. Before I started diving into comics and embracing this stuff, I remember thinking he sounded super goofy and outdated, and wondered how they could possibly make him work in modern blockbuster movies without getting super jingoistic. But I think I "get" him now, and I loving love it. He's like - captain-of-what-we-wish-America-represented, and his biggest superpower is having super powers but still being a really, really good and principled guy. This isn't on topic, but loving Winter Soldier prompted me to stick with marvel comics after a test run, and the tldr of my revelation/cap-boner-origin was this: the film constantly asks 'who can we trust.' It also proposed an answer: even in an increasingly lovely, omg grim-dark obsessed world - we can trust goddamned Captain America. Not because he's crazy strong, but because being a legitimately good guy is ultimately way more super than being able to hulk out or throw a magic hammer around. That's really refreshing and cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

PSA: They glow in the dark. I woke up in the middle of the night to a glowing orb on my bookshelf. If this happens to you: it's the watcher's bouncy eye, not a ghost.

• Locked thread