Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Here's the original 169 page Identity Crisis thread (for those with archives)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

If you don't like it, don't read it! If you accidentally read something you did not love unconditionally, try to drink/take sedatives heavily enough to forget you read something you didn't like, or at least for crissake DON'T BE A NEGATIVE NANCY AND GET FEELS AND COMPLAIN ABOUT IT. If you read something you liked and then stopped liking it, probably just kill yourself.

I think our best bet is to probably close all threads other than the funny panels thread, the badass panels thread, the touching panels thread, and maybe also a thread where you show off badass swag. Maybe just set up four group tumblrs instead of a forum, to avoid any sticky problems with overthinking or being full of cares or otherwise devoting too much time or effort to such an obviously childish and stupid senseless piece of poo poo topic.

COMICS, EVERYBODY.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jul 20, 2014

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

fatherboxx posted:

I've caught up on this comic and it is absolutely loco.
Imagine a casual fan picking up ORIGINAL SIN THE MARVEL ENTERTAINMENT COMIC EVENT OF TYOOL 2014 TPB in the hopes of another Civil War or Secret Invasion and seeing THE ORB.
It is a Venture Bros. episode disguised under the awfulawfulawful, joke-missing Mike Deodato artwork, like M. Night Shyamalan working with a Neveldine/Taylor script.
Aaron has spun an entire story from that awesome Steranko cover of Fury In Space, exactly like Ellis did with grabbing various Marvel oddities out of context in Nextwave. drat! Disney may have all the merchandise billions, inmates are running the basement level here.
I'm kind of lost on this interpretation.

Even an event book written by climax-after-climax mediagenic Mark Millar will dedicate the first eight pages of Civil War to the New Warriors -- not even the moderately popular 1990s New Warriors, but the reality-show guys from a short-lived 2000s mini-series. Lots of c-listers show up and sometimes even play major roles in big shiny event comics.

The core cast of Original Sin is almost entirely stalwart Marvel Universe characters and past and future movie properties like Hulk, Captain America, Punisher, Wolverine, Iron Man, Black Widow, Winter Solider, Ant-Man, Gamorra, Doctor Strange, Moon Knight, Black Panther, Nick Fury, etc.

The Orb is an oddball pet character and I guess you could argue the same for Midas/Exterminatrix, but this feels like a weird oppositional reading that could be equally applied to the outre cult class art comic Infinite Crisis, which transgressed readers in the loving face by featuring UNCLE SAM AS A MOTHERFUCKING SUPERHERO TEAM LEADER and WILD DOG and THREE SUPERMANS FIGHTING EACH OTHER ON TOP OF A PLANET WHO'S A GREEN LANTERN.

The story of Original Sin is that someone got murdered and a bunch of marquee star heroes got upset and want to FIND THE TRUTH and then also some c-list villains are getting a revamp while taking the blame for the killing. I mean, there are odd couple teams that let people go LOL PUNISHER AND DOCTOR STRANGE WHAT IN THE WORLD WHAT IN THE WORLD. Is that all it takes to be Venture Bros wacky Crank 2 High Voltage David Lynch on Burroughs-laced acid now?

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 27, 2014

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

First Bass posted:

Your optimism that they might ever make a Moon Knight movie is touching. :unsmith:
For some reason I thought he was one of the four Netflix series that Marvel is developing, but I got my wires crossed.

They keep trying to revamp him and put him in things like Original Sin, so I'm sure someone is looking to bring him into the movie/TV universe.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Okay so how is this like Nextwave? Like Venture Bros.? How have these previous crossovers not begun to psychically shield puny normal's minds from THE PSYCHEDELIC NOOTROPIC ZODIAC MINDFUCK that is a character named the Orb?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

fatherboxx posted:

The concept behind Nextwave is unearthing of strange and silly in the Marvel history and bringing it in the Marvel comics of today, obsessed with the believability and order.
What did it really unearth besides making some jokes about MODOK and the Mindless Ones and then putting a bunch of Ellis cartoon characters in a book and arbitrarily assigning c-list character names to them? What is this doing that is similar, besides you know, having Mindless Ones?

quote:

Here we have a comic free of real world analogies (unless you project the Nick Fury retcon odyssey on Garth Ennis' Fury participating in every Cold War adventure), but full of wonderful stuff that has been considered not kosher enough for proper continuity. Of course, the decade of WEF alumni and Morrison fanboys heading Marvel creative dulls the impact, but even Fraction and Hickman, who love to go crazy, blew their chance to have fun when they had their event crossovers.
The entire thing seems to be a pretty big NSA/Edward Snowden metaphor and other than (I guess) Midas and Exterminatrix what on Earth in this book isn't kosher for "proper continuity"? Is it the part where Wolverine and the Hulk fight Doctor Strange and the Punisher?

quote:

Original Sin reminds me of Venture Bros. because VB loves to resolve the grudges of insecure costumed people in the grouptalk, and most of this comic has been "a dozen of random Marvel characters move and bicker" interspersed with splashes of violence.
Again, that also describes Identity Crisis, Infinite Crisis Civil War, Secret Invasion, most of Bendis's five year on the Avengers, Claremont's X-Men, half of Stan Lee's comics, Len Wein's Justice League, Hickman's New Avengers, the Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, the Godfather...

I should say I *really like* Venture Bros. but going back to your original post, I think if you gave this book to your average "I really like the Marvel Cinematic Universe and I read a couple X-Mens as a kid" fan they wouldn't be that confused at all. If you gave this to someone with the premise "If you liked Venture Bros., this is for you!" they would be positively baffled and waiting for the funny part or the twist where Black Panther is a child molester or something.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Unmature posted:

Fing Fang Foom
Did the team literally dig Fin Fang Foom out of the ground to make a joke about how he wore pants? Otherwise I don't get it.

• Locked thread