Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."
Between this and All-New X-Men, Bendis really likes seeing the Watcher on a pulpit, eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."

Aphrodite posted:

This isn't Bendis.

That Illuminati #2 excerpt was Bendis, Reed and Cheung.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

coconono posted:

I think it was kinda implied that who shot Uatu and who ransacked his place were totally different people.

I hadn't even thought of this, you're completely right. I guess Mysterious Shooter and Team Ransack (who I assume to be Dr. Midas, Oubliette and Orb) each have an eye?

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

PaybackJack posted:

The most shocking twists usually come from people you don't expect. In this situation, i'm going to say Nick Fury fits that bill perfectly. He doesn't ask to go along with everyone, Cap puts him in charge, he's the exact type of guy who'd do a means justify the ends type reasoning as to why he had to kill the watcher and take one of his eyes. Calling in a second group to come ransack the place and cover his tracks is right up his alley and he can always use the out that it's another LMD gone bad like Max Fury.

I agree -- I think Fury's definitely behind this.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

OldTennisCourt posted:

A possibility I just thought of, I have to imagine that the alien race that ended up extinct due to the Watcher's interference in OS #0 has to be a big part of the overall story. Maybe some surviving remnant of the race or someone who knows what causes the extinction wants Uatu to answer for it.

I actually don't think it'll be a big deal at all -- if it were, it'd be in the main series. The #0 being by a completely different creative team was a pretty big hint that it was largely a disconnected Watcher oneshot.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

It's been ten years since Identity Crisis and the founding of BSS. Thought I'd try to bring back an ol' tradition.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

TwoPair posted:

I just realized something that really bothered me about this story is that Emma has her telepathy back when that's something she's not supposed to have post-AvX. DOPPELGANGER, SKRULL, or just Jason Aaron not bothering to keep up with X-titles? YOU DECIDE. (its the last one but it still just irks me)

Yes, Jason Aaron has not been keeping up with the X-Titles, especially the "Phoenix Five lost control of their powers" subplot, which started a year before he left two major X-titles and was the main plotter of a crossover directly involving his titles and the title with that character, not to mention being one of the main plotters of the original story which led to her being in this condition.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Having to wait until 9am for digital is bullshit I want this poo poo now.

It went up earlier on the website than the app, that's how I read it.

Also, I'm now confident Fury's an LMD, and Mysterious Boss is Real Fury.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

We don't know FOR SURE that Bucky pulled the trigger on the Watcher. Yet.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

There's almost no way Bucky's the killer on purpose, UNLESS Old Fury's been programming him to do this for decades. Most of the monsters that've gotten gamma-irradiated bullets to the head died way before the Winter Soldier arc, while he was still working for the Soviets.

My guess:

Yeah, Bucky's definitely a major character in this -- there's a reason they brought up the story of him butchering that cow in #1. But I still think Old Fury is the actual behind-the-scenes villain; look at the way Mysterious Boss is drawn in #3, with a huge-rear end shadow over his eye. I think that the Fury we've been seeing all of this event is an LMD, hence why he didn't see anything when the Watcher's eye went off. I reread the issues so far, though, and they don't mention life model decoys even once, so it feels like that might be playing a bit unfair. At the same time, though, there's an argument to be made that Fury and LMDs are about as linked as, like, Iron Man and repulsors; you don't have to explain them.

Still, at least to me it makes the most sense that Old Fury's been behind all of this and is trying to get himself exposed for some reason. It seemed like Bucky figured out who was behind poo poo while he was on that dead planet and got pissed off and went to ice the Fury LMD, but the question is WHY -- what did he just figure out? Did he remember being forced to do it all of a sudden?

This event rules.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

MagnesiumB posted:

I'm also leaning towards the Old Fury = Mysterious Boss theory. It also seemed to me like the other person who was talking to him in those panels was wearing the classic Punisher costume, which makes me wonder if Fury's not only using LMD's of himself but other heroes in some fashion?

That didn't look like the classic Punisher costume to me, it looked like the classic SHIELD outfit.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

Also, Fury being an LMD explains why Bucky would take his head along with the Eye -- he probably wants to hit the memory banks.

My guess is that we're going to end up seeing the Watcher-killer's side of things more sympathetically as they go for an Edward Snowden greater-good thing. Marvel loves their metaphors for current events.

Edit: It's legitimately crazy to me that we're ten years in and at this point so used to Bucky being around in the MU all the time, just talking about him in a major event book because nobody's even waiting for him to die off again anymore. We all know he's gonna end up still being around and a hero because he was just in an insanely popular major movie. There's no way they're gonna make him a villain now; this is just him taking on a major proactive role in the series. Nobody's going to be pissed at him for offing an LMD.

d00gZ fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 5, 2014

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

~Caaaaaalllleeeddd iiiiittttt~

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

I really hope Old Nick Fury survives Original Sin so he can get into an old-man cane-fight with depowered Steve Rogers. Just broken walkers and wheelchairs everywhere.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

CzarChasm posted:

Just recreate that two page spread of him on the rocket bike, but have it be a rascal scooter instead.

SOMEONE DRAW THIS

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

Fury was holding a big green bullet in #1. He, at the very least, KNEW ABOUT the murders for years and years before Uatu got got. There's a certain degree of culpability here.

I think that they're going for an Edward Snowden metaphor -- I mean, look at Marvel, they love being Topical with their Big Events -- and the idea here isn that dying Nick Fury wanted his secrets released out into the world.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

It's so relieving to have a murder mystery resolve itself in a totally fair way that people guessed because it makes sense both on a universe logic level and a satisfying story level.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

C'mon, guys, it DID tell us who pulled the trigger. It's obviously Old Fury. The only question is why.

(He wants to release the secrets out into the world, because he's the Snowden in this gigantic NSA metaphor).

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I still don't think it was Old Fury. I think Old Fury knows and was aware of the plot against the Watcher and rather than be the man on the wall he allowed it to happen so he could take the eye.

Then why was one of the gamma bullets used to ice Uatu?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

Original Sin has a major edge over Infinity in that you'll be able to read it on its own and it'll be a perfectly satisfying story. Infinity is the end of act one of a three-year arc.

Edit: I mean, don't get me wrong, I LOVE Infinity. It's just not a very good story as a standalone at all.

• Locked thread