Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
The most shocking twists usually come from people you don't expect. In this situation, i'm going to say Nick Fury fits that bill perfectly. He doesn't ask to go along with everyone, Cap puts him in charge, he's the exact type of guy who'd do a means justify the ends type reasoning as to why he had to kill the watcher and take one of his eyes. Calling in a second group to come ransack the place and cover his tracks is right up his alley and he can always use the out that it's another LMD gone bad like Max Fury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

A_Ruse! posted:

The mythological Odin is missing an eye - he cut it out in exchange for unlimited cosmic knowledge. I don't know if this is already incorporated into the history of Marvel's Odin, but it would be an interesting parallel.

If so he is not the only one that has plucked out their own eye in a quest for GEM SUPREMACY!

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I taped two Watcher eyes to my face and stumbled around the store today.

Pics or it didn't happen. Bonus points if you're wearing some kind of toga thing.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I have been pretty behind tbe concept of someone murdering the watcher from the start but the 'secrets will be revealed' part I'm still skeptical about. So far its turning out great and thanks to Hickman Cap learning about his mindwipe has been a lot less "Civil War" than I expected.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

There is no way of killing Nick Fury that I'll ever find acceptable. You should never even be standing in the same room as him, and if you are it's because he's disguised as the janitor and you have no loving clue, until you notice that he was mopping the floor all day and that coffee stain from the morning is still there. Anyone getting close to him should be already finding the trail and gone cold.

Basically Nick Fury is like Keyser Söze except he runs a spy network instead of a criminal empire.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

The_Rob posted:

That would actually be a pretty cool end to the character.

Except that it would be pretty poor timing given he has a wife and newborn. I'd buy it other than that and I can't see Marvel wanting to, or letting , Allred or whoever came up with the idea on F4 run with it, if they had that idea already in mind.

I could see it still being Fury. I'm sticking to my guess. He didn't deny it, which makes me think it was him.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I think we can deduce some of what makes Thor unworthy with some assumptions.

First, is that secret is not inherently capable of making Thor unworthy. That is to say that only when the secret is revealed to Thor, is he now unworthy.

Second, because the secret makes him unworthy, it can reflect anything he's done to this point that he's known about, or anything else about him that he is aware of, otherwise he would have already been unworthy.

Third, because the secret itself makes him unworthy, and we've seen other people who thought they were worthy attempt to use the hammer, Thor still believes himself worthy, but the hammer now doesn't. This is an interesting point because this means that:

The only reason Thor is unworthy of the hammer is because he now knows the secret; the existence of the secret had no bearing on him wielding the hammer prior to this point.

That's going to be a tricky secret to write, I'm curious what it will be.

SirDan3k in the General Thread posted:

It's about making Thor think he's unworthy and that kinda failure would probably do it. I mean if it was actually straight up Thor is unworthy automatic hammer loss Thor wouldn't have to hear about it, it'd just happen.

See I don't think it works like that. Just because you think you are worthy doesn't let you wield the hammer, and while I think an argument could be made that he doesn't think he's worthy now that doesn't coincide with him trying to pick up the hammer. If he suddenly realized "I'm not worthy" he wouldn't start trying to pick up the hammer.

The secret is told to him, the hammer no longer follows him, and he goes to get it back and is now realizing "I'm not worthy because of what Fury said."

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Aug 14, 2014

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I totally read that a bit differently. The Watcher got his place busted into and he didn't defend his WMDs or his eye. Fury shows up and sees this and is all "WTF, why didn't you stop these crazies!" Then Fury realizes that Uata chose not interefere and makes the connection that his eye contains his knowledge, and gets really loving pissed off at him for not acting, plus a little self-righteous/greedy because he realizes with the Watcher's eye he could defend Earth even better. Watcher realizes what Fury realizes and pushes him to do it by forcing Fury to kill him. It was like 50% suicide 50% self defense. The only reason I say suicide is because he had foreknowledge of the event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I was thinking about this more and keeping with the idea that it's something that couldn't be true until now; maybe the secret was that Nick Fury told Thor he wasn't going to Valhalla. While "Hel" is not the equivalent of "Hell", it could be that the Hammer would only be 'worthy' of a soul that was bound for Valhalla. Introducing this knowledge suddenly makes Thor go "Ok, I could see giving up Valhalla for a good cause." while the Hammer is like "There's no cause more worthy than joining the honored dead, see ya!"

• Locked thread