Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I've seen a few preview panels where some people are holding one of Uatu's eyes. I'm guessing his eye stores some of his knowledge or possesses powers of clairvoyance. That's a very magical trope. I had thought Uatu was more of an ultra-science character who monitored Earth with advanced instruments. Where do his omniscient powers really come from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I haven't been following this series closely, but as I understand, the heroes are fighting over Uatu's eyes, which contain all his knowledge. Why would his eyes contain his knowledge? Wouldn't that all be in his brain?

Beanpants posted:

It would be funny if the secret got out and goons everywhere started weaponizing it whenever Thor comes knocking. Just dudes with megaphones yelling "You eat your own boogers" at Thor when he's mid flight causing him to drop to the ground.
A horrible secret loses such power once everybody knows it.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Unmature posted:

Cuz he saw it, idiot.
But it's kinda like taking a camera's lens rather than the SD card.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Shouldn't his eyes be seriously decomposed by now? It's been a while since he was killed. I'm surprised none of the characters in the book have remarked about them smelling funny. At what point will tissue decay destroy the information that is (somehow) encoded in his eyes?

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 15, 2014

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I was suprised to see that Uatu's eyes have an iris and pupil. Usually when we see him they are just blank. Usually solid white, although in Original Sin #0 they are pitch black. What gives?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
If the Watcher comes back to life (of course he will) but he doesn't get his eyes back, will he forget everything he knew?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Does each eye contain half of Uatu's knowledge, or do both hold full copies of all his knowledge?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

SirDan3k posted:

Yes to both.

They don't originate outside of the multiverse but are singular throughout the multiverse. Galactus is still the only entity that survived the big bang the entities that showed up in the pre aniliation-mini were just some of the first entities that came into existence, they also promptly disappeared once their role in the plot was over and have never shown up again.

Original Sin #0 has Uatu searching parallel universes for one where they didn't gently caress up Prosilicus. Therefore, they are not multiversal.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Skwirl posted:

The thing is, The Watcher is only interesting when he violates his rule about not interfering, because other wise why are you devoting any space in a 22 page book who literally has no influence on events.
I'm waiting for some writer to do a story where Uatu snaps and decides to publicly air everybody's dirty secrets and basically turn the Marvel Universe on its head.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Am I the only one who is going to miss Uatu? I liked the guy.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
In the last issue of Original Sin, Uatu says he has "seen too much" and allows Fury to kill him. Is it specifically Fury's crimes that made him lose the will to live?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
So Uatu allowed himself to be killed because he didn't want to kill in self-defense?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Bar Crow posted:

Self-defense counts as interfering. But being murdered is also interfering.
If the Watchers won't even fight to defend their own lives, then they would have been wiped out ages ago. There are plenty of people in the cosmos who don't like being spied upon, even by a race of Watchers who swear non-interference. There are also those who would love to twist a Watcher's arm to get information. The Watchers must be prepared to do some interference to be allowed to watch at all.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Sep 9, 2014

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Weird. Watchers are weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Kaleidoscope posted:

Isn't the entire deal for Galactus that killing him would be even worse for the universe?
I think it's a bit stupid that Galactus must be depicted as some force of nature who plays some essential role in the cosmic order and thus must accepted. I think it's because it's a bit disturbing for us humans to conceive a predator above us on the food chain. Is an anteater a great cosmic force to an ant colony? Galactus is just a big predator and Reed should never have passed up his opportunities to destroy Galactus.

• Locked thread