Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

SirFozzie posted:

So Oneiyara is now just MOSTLY useless, not completely useless (before, a 1F follower negated his fear effect for winning a duel, now it fears the personality even if it has attachments) compared to every other duelist who duels to a bow/kill.. I guess there's SOME niche use for it (Okura is Released, other such fearkill actions).. but still.. waste of cardboard if you ask me ;)

I fail to see how a Kensai Duelist with a battle duel that bows through followers is bad, personally. It still resolves any potentially useful Focus Effects. It's not as good as destroy the loser of course but he's cheap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Considering most duelists already bow through followers, he's a waste.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Anyone know of a site that will sell reasonably discounted playsets of L5R fixed/commons? Convinced a large amount of people to play a pauper format and even non-players are interested.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I've been playing L5R casually for a couple of months now since I heard about the Ivory reset and over this past weekend I attended the local Kotei here in Brisbane, Australia. My previous experience with the game was a long, long time ago and mostly in the form of big multiplayer games with outrageously degenerate decks. Good times, but I'm glad the game isn't like that anymore.

35 people showed up and the TO invited Bryan Reese ("Oh, that guy works for AEG? What does he do?") so I got to spend time chatting to the lead designer about the good/bad old days, which was fun. I managed to make the Top 4 with a Crane courtier honor deck which was very similar to my favorite classic deck, just with a lot less rocket fuel. I'll post a decklist if anyone is interested but the main points would be that it lives or dies according to how many Imperial Summons I draw, and that Thoughtless Sacrifice is just as amusing to me as To Do What We Must was back in the day.

My match-ups were pretty favorable right up until the end. I lost my first two games to Crab military (a crazy 60/60 deck from one of the locals who would've made Top 4 but passed to another local guy) and Crane scouts, then proceeded to go 4-2 against Mantis, Unicorn, Mantis, and Phoenix (all military).

In my Top 8 play-off I faced a Phoenix dishonor deck which I was dreading because I knew dishonor was naturally my hardest match-up. For the first 4-5 turns I was able to re-honor my people immediately, thus avoiding his early dishonor tricks, and I spent the last 5-6 turns of the game crossing 40 and being pulled back. His dynasty deck ran out a few turns before mine, but I'd been keeping people face-up so I could get a proclaim every turn, and he played a very late Political Standoff which I hadn't seen before and which worried me (PPG vs BCI plus Hot Springs, fun math) but in the end it didn't matter. In my final turn I shot from 37 to 52 honor and he could only pull me back to 45.

My Top 8 match was against a strong Mantis ranged deck. I lost provinces, my guys blew themselves up, and I managed to win 2-1 with an Encircled Terrain at my last province. These games really highlighted to me the importance of Imperial Summons. Based on forum-browsing and my own experience I find send home actions (and especially the IF) to be pretty useless at the moment; my military counters were force penalties, destruction actions, or the bowing effect from IS.

My last match was against one of the two local Scorpion military/dishonor guys, who had both made it to the Top 4. I hadn't played against Scorpion at all but I thought I knew what to expect and I was feeling pretty good having beaten the Phoenix dishonor deck earlier. Unfortunately, this Scorpion was a very different beast. For one thing, he actually had force (the Phoenix had barely ten force total with a table full of people). I got a sinking feeling fairly early on when I realized this deck would play similarly to a couple of Mantis military/dishonor decks I'd played against socially. All it takes is for a deck with an army to slow me down by 1-2 turns via dishonor and I'm toast. The deck had a surprising amount of synergy and I had to read a lot of the cards twice, but to his credit my opponent made a few really killer plays against me across both games. I lost the first on 40 honor at my last province when he named Encircled Terrain, and in the second game I got steamrolled right from the start.

Crane scouts won the day and I discovered that ranking highly is pretty rewarding in more ways than one! I ended up getting IvE and TCS rare packs (over 150 rares total) plus another 30 or so boosters over the course of the two days (the second day was casual drafting, which was more interesting than I thought it would be). It seemed like a huge amount of product for only 35 people but I guess they have a standard sized package for this sort of thing.

One question for those who've been playing longer - is there any place on the net I'm missing which features a lot of competitive discussion? I know the game is very meta-sensitive with lots of small playgroups spread over large distances, but most of my preparation was done reading the various bits and pieces on the clan forums and trying to analyze the decklists that get posted on AEG's site. Is there anything else?

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
https://www.dojooflies.com for all your strategy needs.

Are you in Waynes playgroup?

Did you get to see the siege deck in action, I'm interested in how people respond to it.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

That's the group but I think Wayne has been in Melbourne for the last year or so? I didn't get to see his deck in action unfortunately. I was kinda surprised at how far some people traveled, there were a bunch of guys from Adelaide and Melbourne and a few places in between.

That site doesn't seem to have a lot of recent activity. Does it have additional private forums like the Crane site?

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
So the Irish and English crew (couple of Aussies and US guys too )hang out on https://www.dojooflies.com/irishl5r

Mainly we let people in with a connection to that group but if you apply there and say you were talking to Eoin about up to date strategy discussion Jon should approve you.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Going to the Sheffield Kotei with this (with some edits). Friend came up with it, and it will almost certainly fold hard to dishonour but I don't careeee. I'm kind of sick of playing dishonour anyway:
The Shadowed Estate of the Scorpion

Dynasty(42)
Personalities(20)
3 Shosuro Sadao
3 Bayushi Jin-e
1 Bayushi Nitoshi Experienced
3 Shosuro Keiichi
3 Shosuro Tagiso
1 Soshi Kodanshi Experienced
3 Bayushi Amorie
3 Ninube Shiho

Holding/Event(22)
2 Into The Wastes
1 The Emerald Dojo
3 Colonial Temple
3 Famous Bazaar
3 Geisha House
1 Temple Of Tengen
1 Bamboo Harvesters Experienced
3 Fudoist Temple
2 Heavy Infantry Dojo
3 Nexus Of Lies

Fate(42)
Attachments(11)
2 Untested Blade
3 Shinobi Vassal
3 Red Hunger's Fang
2 Blessed Sword
1 Maddened Horde

Strategy(31)
3 Unsanctioned Strike
2 Planted Evidence
1 A Game Of Dice
2 Deliberations
2 Knowledge And Power
2 Unexpected Discovery
3 Strike As The Earth
3 Inspired Devotion
3 Back To The Front
2 Advance Warning
3 Sneak Attack
2 Discretionary Valor
1 Ring Of Air
1 Ring Of Water
1 Creating Order

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I'm trying a Unicorn version of the Mantis Ogre Bushi Blitz Dueling Deck that Will Abbot has used so effectively.

I affectionately call it My Little Oni No Pony

Dynasty
1 Dark Audience
1 Frost Dragon Festival
3 Stables
3 Famous Bazaar
3 Productive Mine
2 Jade Pearl Inn
2 Bookkeeper
2 Cloth Market
1 The Emerald Dojo
2 Vengeful Populace
1 Oracle Of The Void Experienced
1 Bayushi Nitoshi Experienced
1 The Dark Naga Experienced
1 Hiruma Nikaru, The Flesh Eater Experienced 2
3 Ogre Bushi
1 Moto Taigo, The Skull Taker Experienced
3 Moto Alagh
3 Shinjo Yoshie
1 Iuchi Wattu
1 Nishoji, The Steel-eyed
1 The Shakash Experienced
3 Minikui No Oni

Fate
2 Versatile Blade
3 Justice Of The Crane
3 Family Sword
1 The Egg Of P'an Ku Experienced
1 Ring Of Air
1 Ring Of Earth
1 Ring Of Water
1 A Game Of Dice
3 Breaking The Rhythm
3 Incapacitated
2 Come One At A Time
2 Ivory Magistrate Outpost
3 Sudden Movement
3 Back To The Front
3 Weakness Exposed
1 Creating Order
3 Determined Challenge
3 Contentious Terrain
1 Coward!

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

SirFozzie posted:

Absolute best way?
Has anyone ever collected all of the card flavor text into sets and narratively collated them?

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

:ffg:
EAT THE DONUTS
:ffg:
A bunch of my friends are getting back into this game after we played a bit in high school, and now that I actually have some resources to dump into I'm curious: whats the best way to get a decent card base going? I'm really curious if you can buy a bunch of commons anywhere. Unfortunately my FLGS doesn't carry L5R (I may try to convince them to pick up but who knows).

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Friction.123 posted:

A bunch of my friends are getting back into this game after we played a bit in high school, and now that I actually have some resources to dump into I'm curious: whats the best way to get a decent card base going? I'm really curious if you can buy a bunch of commons anywhere. Unfortunately my FLGS doesn't carry L5R (I may try to convince them to pick up but who knows).

Buy boxes/cases through Potomac Distribution or similar sites I'm sorry to say. L5R continues to have a weak secondary market which means doing things like buying playsets of common/uncommons has to be done in a peer to peer method at inflated prices.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
So they announced the Ivory-2 Strongholds at worlds.. some changes coming (Crane is now Bow SH for 2 Honor, for example).

These Strongholds will be the only ones legal for tourney play in 2014.

In the Worlds, Spider (!!!) and Unicorn made it to the Championship, with Unicorn winning

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Anyone still into this? I'm dusting off my cards for Modern and BigDeck, trying to track down all the newest IvE expansions. Seeing all the clans make cut at major tournaments makes me think, "Oh, hey, balance."

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
yeah, I play a lot on untap... health issues have prevented real life play for now.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I've got my trade list cleaned up and posted on the AEG forums so click this and trade me cards.

Is anyone playing extended formats like BigDeck or Modern yet? I'm getting old cards out and sorted, hoping this is somewhat worth my time.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I found my set of Dawn of the Empire. Anyone interested in buying it?

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

New cards for koku just went up. Get all the hotness.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
Anyone want to play the ccg online? I haven't played since daimond so I have no clue how to play.

http://www.alderac.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=124&t=111579

ShitheadDeluxe
May 14, 2007
Anyone going to the Knoxville Kotei? It's a nice one, and the TO, Donny Tait is having it as his farewell to the US party.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Any one else upset that John Akey is the new community organizer? He has made some comments in the past that have really upset quite a few of the Texas players such as don't go to the Austin Kotei, the person running the Austin Kotei is abusing a dead texas players memory, something his friends firmly disagreed with. Hell how do you have a Community Organizer who tells people to not go to a large regional event. Also Kotei what tomorrow and no story for the season at all.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
The current story is who will be the next emperor right, do we know who that is going to be?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Fallorn posted:

Any one else upset that John Akey is the new community organizer? He has made some comments in the past that have really upset quite a few of the Texas players such as don't go to the Austin Kotei, the person running the Austin Kotei is abusing a dead texas players memory, something his friends firmly disagreed with. Hell how do you have a Community Organizer who tells people to not go to a large regional event. Also Kotei what tomorrow and no story for the season at all.

Care to shed a bit more light on this?

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Whole of Twenty Festivals is up on the Oracle now. Nooooot entirely big on the scorpion sensei.

wargames posted:

The current story is who will be the next emperor right, do we know who that is going to be?

It's Seiken

PrinnySquadron fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 21, 2015

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Spider is now honor yourself out before the other player can its a race to the bottom.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

It's pretty bad and Spider players are pretty glum about it. Can't say I blame them, the dishonour matchup already seemed pretty bad.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
I am looking at this and saying design does not know what they were trying to do for the last two arcs with spider. Why the hell would you tack a honor loss onto a clan that already gets hosed by dishonor with no way to easily regain the honor. It's really bad.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Stockpiled weapon and enslaved djinn in a spider deck with arunai sensei is stronger than you would think. Also have people looking at the duelist and wondering where the duels are with 0 in deck you are all about dumb force. The stockpile weapon is 4g for a 2f1c weapon with pull a copy of it from deck which is like card draw in that it becomes card neutral and thins your fate deck. The Djinn is amazing because it will pull from graveyard and deck. If you have 1 in hand you can always get one back if it dies. You also always go second against the spider match because you start at -1 honor.

Fallorn fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 6, 2015

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

App. the 3 starting gold scheme is alright with geisha houses? Can anyone confirm this? Its the biggest thing putting me off the Aroru sensei.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
There is a ronin deck run out of crane for strict that uses the geisha's cost -1 gold that is very fast and strong. Enslaved djinn is also in it because it is a super strong card.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

The main site is now Super Spooky. poo poo's goin' real bad!

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

PrinnySquadron posted:

The main site is now Super Spooky. poo poo's goin' real bad!

As someone who only occasionally checks in with the state of the L5R story, any chance of explaining whats going on at the moment?

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

They haven't really explained it yet(presumably they'll put up some more fiction closer to the release of Onyx), but the new Emperor is not a fan of the Spider and the promises his mother, the previous Empress, made with them : presumably at some point, he will break the promises made with them that causes Kanpeki to go "Well, gently caress you too then!" and declare war on the Empire.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Bet mantis clan is eating it and dying since naga are coming back and fill the same niche. Also spider die and become shadowlands again.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

The Crab voting choices went up yesterday and I'm pretty sure it's a no brainer what option a majority of the Crab will vote for.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
I wish they would do deal with the shadows but they will murder the hell outa the spider I will just deal with that sadness.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Option 2 is currently winning the poll on the Crab Forums: The "Deal with the Shadows" option had a lonely one vote.

I'm interested to see how Unicorn, Dragon and Mantis go: Lion and Scorpion will probably end up being Team gently caress The Spider and I have no idea about Crane and Phoenix.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Mantis and spider are both on the way out this seems like it will at least be with a bang though.

ExtraCheese
Apr 16, 2014
I'm interested in picking this game up but I'm a bit concerned about card legalities. I've checked the website and saw it's based around the current base set but there's also talk of Onyx Edition, are any cards I buy now going to illegal after Onyx Edition? If not which expansions will still be legal? I'm probably not going to be going to any tournaments or anything so I could probably just suck it up but I would like to have legal cards even if I'm just playing casually with mates.

ExtraCheese fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jadarx
May 25, 2012

ExtraCheese posted:

I'm interested in picking this game up but I'm a bit concerned about card legalities. I've checked the website and saw it's based around the current base set but there's also talk of Onyx Edition, are any cards I buy now going to illegal after Onyx Edition? If not which expansions will still be legal? I'm probably not going to be going to any tournaments or anything so I could probably just suck it up but I would like to have legal cards even if I'm just playing casually with mates.

Here's how legality in L5R works:
You have a base set (Ivory 2 now, Onyx next) which determines the "arc". Each expansion is legal for 1 or 2 arcs. The expansions that are legal for two are the last 2-3 sets released in a particular arc. Cards from previous sets can be re-printed in new arc's base sets, but they are in the minority.

Looking at the current expansion lists, none of them are listed as being legal for both Ivory and Onyx. Ivory just got its reprint (Twenty Festivals), so there's probably about a year left. But don't quote me on that, since I haven't paid attention to the CCG at all this arc.

• Locked thread