Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

gonna miss all the yoscats on g+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
still can't janitor my circle contacts and actual contacts together in near any contacts list

duplicate entries in everyfuckingthing except stock android contacts manager

god please bathe this gay earth in cleansing fire

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
also the only time I saw gundotra's name on anything he was reposting KONY2012

so i guess that's about the quality of google's hiring

i should go be a product vp at this rate

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
every time i have been asked to sign up to google plus when signing onto gmail in the browser i have declined

i never have and never will be a member of google+

gregday
May 23, 2003

Vic Gundotra posted:

Icon Ambulance

One Sunday morning, January 6th, 2008 I was attending religious services when my cell phone vibrated. As discreetly as possible, I checked the phone and noticed that my phone said "Caller ID unknown". I choose to ignore.

After services, as I was walking to my car with my family, I checked my cell phone messages. The message left was from Steve Jobs. "Vic, can you call me at home? I have something urgent to discuss" it said.

Before I even reached my car, I called Steve Jobs back. I was responsible for all mobile applications at Google, and in that role, had regular dealings with Steve. It was one of the perks of the job.

"Hey Steve - this is Vic", I said. "I'm sorry I didn't answer your call earlier. I was in religious services, and the caller ID said unknown, so I didn't pick up".

Steve laughed. He said, "Vic, unless the Caller ID said 'GOD', you should never pick up during services".

I laughed nervously. After all, while it was customary for Steve to call during the week upset about something, it was unusual for him to call me on Sunday and ask me to call his home. I wondered what was so important?

"So Vic, we have an urgent issue, one that I need addressed right away. I've already assigned someone from my team to help you, and I hope you can fix this tomorrow" said Steve.

"I've been looking at the Google logo on the iPhone and I'm not happy with the icon. The second O in Google doesn't have the right yellow gradient. It's just wrong and I'm going to have Greg fix it tomorrow. Is that okay with you?"

Of course this was okay with me. A few minutes later on that Sunday I received an email from Steve with the subject "Icon Ambulance". The email directed me to work with Greg Christie to fix the icon.

Since I was 11 years old and fell in love with an Apple II, I have dozens of stories to tell about Apple products. They have been a part of my life for decades. Even when I worked for 15 years for Bill Gates at Microsoft, I had a huge admiration for Steve and what Apple had produced.

But in the end, when I think about leadership, passion and attention to detail, I think back to the call I received from Steve Jobs on a Sunday morning in January. It was a lesson I'll never forget. CEOs should care about details. Even shades of yellow. On a Sunday.

To one of the greatest leaders I've ever met, my prayers and hopes are with you Steve.

-Vic

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
owned

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Mr Dog posted:

this is the only reason i use g+

when it goes away they'll probably switch to some Planet aggregator and i'll be none the wiser except my browser's own scrollbars will actually work again

but g+ is obviously microsoft's fifth column's ploy to turn all open-source leaders into toothless paper-tigers ??

just look what they've done to linus, the infamously foul-mouthed figurehead who gets actual poo poo done. on google+ he's just one career programmer posting about his wife and kids, their cats, and the computers on their home LAN

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

dont be evil :xd:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Max Facetime posted:

but g+ is obviously microsoft's fifth column's ploy to turn all open-source leaders into toothless paper-tigers ??

just look what they've done to linus, the infamously foul-mouthed figurehead who gets actual poo poo done. on google+ he's just one career programmer posting about his wife and kids, their cats, and the computers on their home LAN

don't forget the dumbasses in teh comments sayign "MY RH INSTALL X WINDOW SERVER DOES NOT START HELP PLEEES" even if the guy is posting about his pet cat or w/e

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

exant posted:

buys motorola for its patents and tax credits, promises not to lay people off, lays off half their staff anyway. flips it to Lenovo.

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

exant posted:

*makes android*

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
"don't be evil" is possibly the greatest marketing line in history. it somehow hacked the brains of a billion idiot open source privacy nerds and made them love an advertising company.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
tbf i think they did genuinely try to follow the spirit of it for the first few years

then they progressively realised that they were, you know, an advertising company, and hence the fount of all the bile and garbage in this world.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
can't wait for my fifty "Google+ is sunsetting" emails

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Mr Dog posted:

tbf i think they did genuinely try to follow the spirit of it for the first few years

then they progressively realised that they were, you know, an advertising company, and hence the fount of all the bile and garbage in this world.

yeah at least they dont pretend anymore.

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Ten things we know to be true – Company – Google

https://www.google.com/intl/en/about/company/tenthings.html%FD

Google

You can make money without doing evil. [But] Google is a business. The revenue we generate is derived from offering search technology to companies and from the ...

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

Max Facetime posted:

You can make money without doing evil. [But] Google is evil

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

Max Facetime posted:

You can make money without doing evil. [But] Google is docevil

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
hello 911 i need an icon ambulance

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

The Management posted:

"don't be evil" is possibly the greatest marketing line in history. it somehow hacked the brains of a billion idiot open source privacy nerds and made them love an advertising company.

this

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

yeah, that's a good post

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i'm not going to be satisfied until larry page comes out and says 'look, we're really sorry about forcing you to use your real name on youtube, and asking you to integrate with google+ over and over again. yes, it was a lovely stupid move and everyone here hated it and we apologize. as a way of proving our sincerity, sergey brin will commit sepukku and i will serve as his kaishakunin"

gregday
May 23, 2003

The Management posted:

Sterling Cooper Draper Page

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Mr Dog posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVVTZgwYwVo

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
actually i was thinking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDW_Hj2K0wo

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i guess the "let it go" joke works better if you now that she was originally supposed to be the villain

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Comedy Gold.

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

no it wasn't

i shouldn't have to janitor my internet rolodex

a social network based around the idea of not sending any updates w/ the word "oval office" to my grandma

gregday
May 23, 2003

the weirdest poo poo from 3 years ago was supposed tech nerds defending an advertising company and championing adobe's promotion of flash as somehow part of "the open web" and html5 as proprietary

mirror universe

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

pram posted:

google+ interface is really loving bad

i forget what happened to google messages or whatever their im thing was but it's in g+ now under hangouts, and whenever you mouseover poo poo it pops up profiles that just sort of linger and hold focus as you're trying to type your message

very annoying

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

let me get this straight

larry page fired all the managers.

said the engineers didn't need supervision.

and they handle everyone's personal data.

so no one is making sure they aren't peepin' it.

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

PipeRifle posted:

At some point uploading Youtube videos from my phone stopped saying "PipeRifle" and started saying the other semi-fake name tied to my piperifle gmail account. Now I have two youtube accounts and no idea how to change my phone to upload to the right one and no idea how to merge them or even delete one of them because they're both tied to piperifle at gmail

lmfao

owend forever

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

“Asked about his approach to running the company, Page once told a Googler his method for solving complex problems was by reducing them to binaries, and then simply choosing the best option,” Carlson writes. “Whatever the downside he viewed as collateral damage he could live with.”

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

lmao

rubber cat
Jul 1, 2002
google buzz was unironically superior to google+

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

cremnob posted:

“Asked about his approach to running the company, Page once told a Googler his method for solving complex problems was by reducing them to binaries, and then simply choosing the best option,” Carlson writes. “Whatever the downside he viewed as collateral damage he could live with.”

describe the average g+ user

"One zero."

in 2015, how many people do you envision in g+'s community?

"Zero one."

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

:rip: op

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

cremnob posted:

a robot would be a better ceo than page

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Miley Virus posted:

a robot would be a better ceo than page

the board of google has determined this is not an either-or situation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

duTrieux. posted:

hey

hey google

i'm the blurred headlights but not the GMC logo on the van

the google blurring algorithm is whack, go to street view anywhere, anytime, they just blur random loving poo poo, what is this, the middle ages?

do we or do we not have face recognition Google c'mon

• Locked thread