Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
rooting for facebook over google is kinda like picking sides in "hitler vs. stalin"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
yea lets root for facebook, the company with the most personal information on everyone, provided by their own dumb friends and family, including databases of tagged photos for future facial recognition. surely they can be trusted more than google

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

i dont hate google or facebook for stockpiling lots of data

i just hate them because they are piss-garbage advertising companies with piss-garbage products

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Socracheese posted:

i just hate them because they are piss-garbage advertising companies with piss-garbage products

actually google services own

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
google plus taking over youtube comments owns

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

were youtube comments ascribed to their real-named owners retroactively because if so lol

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Socracheese posted:

gmail loving owns for piss users like me

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
google apps are best in class for small and med biz

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

ok actually google drive is pretty sw8

its not perfect but goddamn if it doesnt suit my needs for free

google is jumping the shark though, buying robot companies and google glass. they will fail spectacularly but hopefully goog drive will still work

google is doing the world a favor though by rounding up all the insufferables and keeping them in their googleplex daycares

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

flakeloaf posted:

were youtube comments ascribed to their real-named owners retroactively because if so lol

i think so yeah

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Install Windows posted:

i think so yeah

i dont think so. uinless u chose 2 merge ur accts - in which case there was plenty of warning

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
my youtube and commenbts, for example, are stull under SmytheHiggins, but my G+ is under my real name and not related to my youtube. i can switch between them by clicking the icon on the top right

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Smythe posted:

i dont think so. uinless u chose 2 merge ur accts - in which case there was plenty of warning

a lot of people did merge them unknowingly

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Install Windows posted:

a lot of people did merge them unknowingly

they should have read the screen, in my humble opinion

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
oh, the screen it jammed in front of you, with 4 distinct clicks to properly dismiss without accidentillay merging, even before the ad started playing?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

JawnV6 posted:

oh, the screen it jammed in front of you, with 4 distinct clicks to properly dismiss without accidentillay merging, even before the ad started playing?

i'm the internet user who reads things before clicking next

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yes it was a really funny show

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

it was kinda funny when crybaby youtubers started disabling comments on their videos to protest the google+ integration

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

cremnob posted:

anything that cuts off google at the knees in their attempt to remain relevant in the post-pc world is a good thing. and facebook is excelling at it

facebook is just as bad as google and will probably die quicker

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

gmail and youtube used to be good but both have gone through piles of lovely redesigns that get worse and worse each try. they also closed igoogle and reader which i liked and used

they are just lovely advertising company with bad products these days, but everyone is reliant on them because they are systemic at a lot of homes/places.

relying on people being too lazy to switch to superior products works for a while but in the long run, not exactly a great plan

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

facebook is just one horse of many that will help put google into the ground, and currently executing the best

quote:

This really makes it sound like Vic was essentially fired. I wonder how much Facebook's recent success in monetizing mobile is at the root of this? For a long time the conventional wisdom was that there was no money in mobile at all and it was a huge problem. Now Facebook is killing it, and Google's answer seems to have missed the mark. Although this article is all loose rumors and speculation, if you piece it together the picture feels believable: Google is seriously worried their bet on G+ is wrong. Until Facebook starting doing big numbers Vic had the benefit of the doubt, but now that it's clear in stark numerical fashion that Facebook is actually increasing it's lead over Google it's causing a serious rethink.

google failed at social and now a $150 billion company exists when some portion of their market cap could have flowed to google if they werent incompetent and microsoft-like in resting on their laurels. they then spent years with google+, integrating it into all of their products trying to recreate facebook and get a slice of that pie. meanwhile facebook saw the writing on the wall and has been aggressive about buying the properties where users are increasingly spending most of their time (as well as not caring about making facebook.com the center of their universe, as is evident in their willingness to unbundle it). larry just figured this out a few weeks ago after a couple of FBs quarterly earnings sank in and fired vic gundotra.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
lol that you think google will ever die when not even aol has died

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

cremnob posted:

facebook is just one horse of many that will help put google into the ground, and currently executing the best

google failed at social and now a $150 billion company exists when some portion of their market cap could have flowed to google if they werent incompetent and microsoft-like in resting on their laurels. they then spent years with google+, integrating it into all of their products trying to recreate facebook and get a slice of that pie. meanwhile facebook saw the writing on the wall and has been aggressive about buying the properties where users are increasingly spending most of their time (as well as not caring about making facebook.com the center of their universe, as is evident in their willingness to unbundle it). larry just figured this out a few weeks ago after a couple of FBs quarterly earnings sank in and fired vic gundotra.

this is totally accurate and 100% reflects reality

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i give microsoft a 50/50 change of outliving google

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
they're both going to be around at least as long as ibm has been around tbqh. one might buy the other tho

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
won't matter once the antibiotic resistant bacteria kills us all

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

its not just that that google's CPC is tanking because mobile ads are inherently less profitable (which is true as of now) but they're also losing real market share of ad dollars to facebook. facebook's CPC and CPM are rising

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Cold on a Cob posted:

won't matter once the antibiotic resistant bacteria kills us all

cant wait

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
it's cool we'll all be living in water world by then

i am bored and full of cider right now and will answer the first 3 questions about working for google

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

everything dies

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

apple needs to twist the knife and get rid of google as default and thereby deny a hugely profitable and engaged userbase

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

iSearch

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the thing I'll never get about g+ is why they had to be so up-front about stuff like merging accounts, making you use your real name, etc.

letting people use their BS internet names [or even multiple ones under the same account, whoa] would have been a competitive advantage over FB and they'd still have all that juicy usage data anyway without annoying people and souring them to the idea

[g+ has such a bad interface, particularly on mobile they never had much of a chance anyway]

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

i am bored and full of cider right now and will answer the first 3 questions about working for google

what kind of cider is it?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

would use, ty timb

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

cremnob posted:

apple needs to twist the knife and get rid of google as default and thereby deny a hugely profitable and engaged userbase

apple needs to suicide

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

how do you live with yourself

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

google has no idea what they're doing, they're just emulating facebook and hoping for success

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

approximately how many times a week do you find yourself frustrated with a co-worker being particularly "googley"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

http://twothirdsdone.com/2014/04/28/how-apple-crushed-google-in-the-fall-of-2015-from-my-book-the-future-history-of-technology/

• Locked thread