Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Install Windows posted:

lol that you think google will ever die when not even aol has died

aol is a shell of what it once was, probably like google will be

and it isn't even the same company it was (it was spun off of time warner, not the other way around)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I do think it's important to note that no modern company has managed to gently caress up as badly as the AOL/TW merger yet

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
what was the rationale for real names again? something about making the internet less infantile and petty?

because lol

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

hmmm cory doctorow-lite, yase

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

if nonsense can be submitted anywhere its yospos thx

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

syscall girl posted:

what kind of cider is it?

pretty terrible, angry orchard ginger something. i think angry orchard is the barqs root beer of ciders where anheiser busch or someone bought a venerable brand just as a shortcut in to a market.

Beeftweeter posted:

how do you live with yourself

i work on a great product that millions of people use. (actual) mid six figures. its easy.

qirex posted:

approximately how many times a week do you find yourself frustrated with a co-worker being particularly "googley"?

people really believe in that poo poo. the most annoying googly thing is people bitching about others being ungoogly. like for example calling someone out for taking an entire bunch of bananas home.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

this is really stupid

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Beeftweeter posted:

this is really stupid

yeah??

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

i work on a great product that millions of people use.

how are you going to feel when that "great" product is unceremoniously discontinued for essentially no good reason

ps i had the stella artois cider last night its actually pretty decent

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

yeah. even if apple is working on a search product it will probably be about as popular as ping was. google is too entrenched in search

apple should let users do actual phone calls over facetime audio though, that would own

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

ps i had the stella artois cider last night its actually pretty decent

I've heard it's good but laffo at them trying to sell it for $7 I can get cider made by actual hipsters for that much

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah. even if apple is working on a search product it will probably be about as popular as ping was. google is too entrenched in search

apple should let users do actual phone calls over facetime audio though, that would own

i posted it because its stupid but it also wouldnt surprise me too much if something appeared at some point

ping is a bit different because they could have apple search as the default in safari

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
apple search would at most be a bing rebrand like current yahoo

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

quote:

all of which were finally revealed publicly by Steve Jobs at a major event in Sept. 2015. Yes, I said Steve Jobs. This effort was so important to him that he pre-recorded the announcement before his death and instructed Tim Cook to use it.

stebe :rip:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

theadder posted:

i posted it because its stupid but it also wouldnt surprise me too much if something appeared at some point

ping is a bit different because they could have apple search as the default in safari

ah yes, a default in a browser only existing on a minority of mobile devices, and a very tiny minority of regular computers. this will truly be a success.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
announcing a product after your death would be loving badass tbh

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

a single preinstalled internet browser within the operating system? nothing wrong with that.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

qirex posted:

I've heard it's good but laffo at them trying to sell it for $7 I can get cider made by actual hipsters for that much

i had two over at a friend's house but didnt know it was $7 a bottle lmao its not worth it then. it was good but not $7 good

Install Windows posted:

apple search would at most be a bing rebrand like current yahoo

at first i was going to say theres no way apple would partner with anyone for something like search but them i remembered apple maps are basically tomtom maps (and some other providers maybe?) so i guess its possible

i still dont see it happening though. they'll probably just replace google with bing or yahoo as the default provider

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

timb release the google search killer and swithc to yahoo or bing in the meantime

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Beeftweeter posted:

at first i was going to say theres no way apple would partner with anyone for something like search but them i remembered apple maps are basically tomtom maps (and some other providers maybe?) so i guess its possible

i still dont see it happening though. they'll probably just replace google with bing or yahoo as the default provider

why would apple partner with anyone else for search? well, they've been partnering with google for a good decade by now.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

cremnob posted:

swithc to bing

hold on let me bing up some reasons not to do that

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
TORONTO — Google has been caught afoul of the law by displaying web ads linked to a person’s health history, according to Canada’s interim privacy commissioner Chantal Bernier.

An investigation by her office backed up a man’s complaints that he was seeing so-called behavioural advertisements based on his web browsing history. After searching for information about devices to treat sleep apnea, he began to see ads for those devices as he browsed the web.

While behavioural advertising is not illegal, Canada’s privacy law does not allow consumers to be targeted based on “sensitive personal information,” including their health.

Google’s privacy policy outlaws displaying advertisements based on race, religion, sexual orientation or health. But the Mountain View, Calif.-based company acknowledged that some advertisers using its ad-serving platform were not following the policy.

Google has pledged to upgrade the system that reviews ads for compliance, increase the monitoring of ads, and provide more information to advertisers and staff about the rules.

“The monitoring system was not tight enough, not robust enough to ensure compliance, it wasn’t extensive enough to deal with the volume of ads,” said Bernier in an interview.

“What this brings to light is the complexity of ensuring compliance in relation to online behavioural advertising and therefore the compliance mechanisms, the monitoring, the training of staff, the frequency of reviews has to be really brought up.”

The company, which declined an interview request, said it will implement the changes by June.

“We’ve worked closely with the office of the privacy commissioner throughout this process and are pleased to be resolving this issue,” said a Google Canada spokeswoman in a statement.

The complainant who spurred the investigation also noted that he only contacted the privacy commissioner’s office because he couldn’t figure out how to notify someone at Google directly about his concerns.

Bernier said she’s also pushing Google to make it easier for consumers to be heard.

“The privacy law in Canada for the private sector includes the obligation to have clear recourse, to have remedy, if there is an issue with the way your personal information is handled,” she said.

“So Google must correct this as soon as possible.”

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

flakeloaf posted:

hold on let me bing up some reasons not to do that

ive been using bing for a while its p. sick

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Install Windows posted:

why would apple partner with anyone else for search? well, they've been partnering with google for a good decade by now.

yeah that apple rebrand of google search is really great and cool

you knew what i meant fishmech

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

cremnob posted:

ive been using bing for a while its p. sick

it's definitely not awful but media trying to make "bing it" happen is distractingly funny

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

quote:

The complainant who spurred the investigation also noted that he only contacted the privacy commissioner’s office because he couldn’t figure out how to notify someone at Google directly about his concerns.

lmao

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

should have binged it

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

pretty terrible, angry orchard ginger something. i think angry orchard is the barqs root beer of ciders where anheiser busch or someone bought a venerable brand just as a shortcut in to a market.

yeah i just saw an ad for it last night and it was pretty goofy

just an old man scowling in front of some trees

the idea of cider was tempting but probs not their implementation

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
what's wrong with ping :(

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Boxturret posted:

what's wrong with ping :(

well you see it's like bing, but ping

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
how can i get google to sponsor my tiny arts organization so i can get hooked up with some sweet chrome books

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

ask

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
so like does google have some kind of customer service now? or is it still a blackhole as far as trying to contact someone about fixing gay broken poo poo.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

fits my needs posted:

so like does google have some kind of customer service now? or is it still a blackhole as far as trying to contact someone about fixing gay broken poo poo.

you rang?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

fits my needs posted:

gay broken poo poo

don't sign

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
the office where all the conops (customer service) folks work is at least 85% women. working there is like being the guy who takes dance class in highschool.

the best customer service for google products is from the super hard core google users. usually if we have a workaround for something we don't even post it just send it to them and they will help the other people for us it's great.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

the office where all the conops (customer service) folks work is at least 85% women. working there is like being the guy who takes dance class in highschool.

the best customer service for google products is from the super hard core google users. usually if we have a workaround for something we don't even post it just send it to them and they will help the other people for us it's great.

lol that u would even post this as if its something to be proud of

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

but also very revealing of the mentality of google. thx

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

those premium anroid silver phones are going to be a real clown show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe