Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
Google Cornpops are bad :synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
lol that anyone thinks apple has an ounce of programming talent anywhere

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Smythe posted:

how can i get google to sponsor my tiny arts organization so i can get hooked up with some sweet chrome books

i don't know, but i know a guy who might know. i'll see if i can get a lead

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

lmao at google burning their nerd following capital for years with google+ to chase facebook and then facebook changes directions

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
you should stick to lf'ing about stocks and charts, you're clearly completely over your head when talking about anything remotely technical

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
typical macintosh user

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

cremnob posted:

but also very revealing of the mentality of google. thx

yes having people dedicated to the things you do is a nice feeling.

you realize if you're a paying customer you get better cs too right?

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

api call girl posted:

lol that anyone thinks apple has an ounce of programming talent anywhere

it's a good thing they're good at hardware, marketing, mobile, supply chain, and delivering the optimal user experience in the world's most advanced operating system, osx mavericks then

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

im just a non-technical man that has google pegged :smugmrgw:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

cremnob posted:

im just a non-technical man that has google pegged :smugmrgw:

pics or it didn't happen

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

quote:

Facebook announced a new way for people to log in to apps “anonymously” today. You still log into the (third party) app using your Facebook credentials, but Facebook sends absolutely no information about you at all to the app.

Read all the coverage about it on TechMeme. The tech press is impressed, even to to point of wondering if there’s a catch.

I don’t know the details, such as if this is something all apps have to implement if they want Facebook login, or if developers can opt not to offer it while still using the “normal” FB login.

But it doesn’t really matter. Facebook is addressing a strong desire for privacy by its users.

Distill that even further and it comes down to this – Facebook is treating its users, at least in this case, like its customers.

Then there’s Google. Today I read that they’re going to stop scanning student Gmail accounts (because of a lawsuit). Of course the rest of us who haven’t sued Google get the same old treatment.

I’m also still simmering over Google+ logins. I’ve diligently avoided getting a Google+ account for years now. The times that they’ve auto-created one for me because I clicked the wrong button I’ve deleted it. I’m still able to use Gmail without it, but Google Voice is rumored to be shutting down soon, and the only way I may be able to continue using my Google Voice phone number is if I finally relent and get a Google+ account.

I’m not going to go into the very many reasons why getting a Google+ account may be a bad idea – you can Bing that if you don’t already know. But even though no one wants to use Google+, Google is pushing, whining and pleading with you constantly to sign up – because it’s the only way they can continue to push higher numbers of “active users.”

No one uses Google+, but the whole Internet has an account there.

We’re not Google’s customers. Never were. We’re just a bundle of data to be sold to advertisers, and they don’t give a drat what we think about that.

Facebook may not be all that different, really. But at least today they treated us like human beings. And for that I’m grateful.

Don’t Be Evil™

http://uncrunched.com/2014/04/30/facebook-gets-it-google-doesnt/

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
oh no google's scanning my gmail account... the horror...

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 05:26 on May 1, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

it benefits Facebook because they still know what sites you're trying to log into so they can sell you related ads but other sites can't now

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

quote:

If you're not paying for the product, you are the product.

I have to admit, this is a catchy line. It appeals to the inner cynic in us all and makes a certain amount of sense in a core, "what can you do for me," type of thinking.

But it's hog-wash.

I work for Google so I follow the news about the company and I'm really tired of seeing that first line, or some variation of it, spouted by people who really don't care enough to want to think it through. It does not work that way!

Yes, Google is a company. And yes, Google is a reasonably large company (though not that large compared to the likes of IBM, GE, etc.). But though a company is a single entity in the eyes of the law, it is not run like that. Google is full of many thousands of individuals, many of whom are more rabid about user privacy than the privacy watchdogs that complain. I've watched them take Larry and Sergey to task on stage about the smallest things. I've done it twice myself. If the leaders of the company purposely violated our users' trust, there would be open revolt and the founders would be lucky to not find themselves strung up by their toes.

Everything Google does is done for our users. Your happiness is always the first priority, even above Ads. (I've seen this in both policy and various practical implementations.) You are not product; you are our customers! That's simply the way we view it and it permeates the company from bottom to top. Everything is done to make a better service for you.

Even Ads is viewed as a service to our users. Random ads are garbage. Useful ads are a benefit. Yes, it's also a benefit to our publishers and yes, it's also a benefit to our shareholders. Since when did win-win-win arrangements become a bad thing?

I won't claim that Google always gets it exactly right or that we haven't made mistakes. We don't and we have. And we admit it. And it will happen again. Sorry. But everything is done with the right intent even if it doesn't always work out as hoped. Hindsight is perfect.

Google is the most moral company in which I have ever worked. But guarding our users' privacy doesn't just make moral sense, it makes business sense. If we purposefully violated our users' privacy, we wouldn't have a business at all before very long.

https://plus.google.com/+BrianWhite1/posts/T56nDLcMHVk

lmao jesus

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Install Windows posted:

they're reading all the emails i don't get

:smith:

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Install Windows posted:

im the trolldb

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

cool thread op

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Sudo Echo posted:

im the trolldb

im the suspicious lack of many wikipedia pages

pram
Jun 10, 2001

theadder posted:

im the suspicious lack of many wikipedia pages

lol

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
hello andrew

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

computer parts posted:

it benefits Facebook because they still know what sites you're trying to log into so they can sell you related ads but other sites can't now

if they're going to log in with facebook tehy already trust facebook with their information. this change is more aligned with their users interests and is the exact opposite of the track google has been on these past few years

cremnob fucked around with this message at 07:23 on May 1, 2014

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
larry and sergey are still publicly on the record as thinking privacy is bullshit, right? like they have explicitly staked out the philosophical position that privacy is pointless and impossible, the world is better when everything is out in the open, and you might as well just let google help you out. none of google's strategic terribleness about privacy is a mistake, other than they probably don't mean to actually break the law

even larry's response to the nsa was just outrage that the government would dare interfere with the sanctity of google's internal network operations

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

yes thats because larry is an idiot bitch libertarian where as zuck was just a dumb college kid who's grown up and appears to be taking facebook in a new direction that is more aligned with user interests (as much as an advertising company can be), now that he's let go of the legacy idea of what facebook was

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

sounds like he needs you to guide him

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

facebook's success will come at the expense of google and will be a direct assault on their margins, so zuck's my boy

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Install Windows posted:

why would you look at tumblr

Cutting room floor is sweet though

E: I just read way too much poo poo on pastebin. It'd be nice to see how truthful most of the stuff is on there.

Armani fucked around with this message at 10:45 on May 1, 2014

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

(actual) mid six figures

calling someone out for taking an entire bunch of bananas home.

what

bananas are like the cheapest food

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

what

bananas are like the cheapest food

don't be evil

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I would not want to work at goog

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Shaggar posted:

i'd rather work at ms

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shaggar posted:

esp their mountain view satellite offices

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

uncurable mlady posted:

i'd rather work at ms

working at ms would be an interesting experience at the very least

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
does the + modifier in google search actually work now or is it still a google+ thing

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

rofl if you believe any of that

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The users are the demand, the services are the product. On the other side of it, the ad companies are also the demand, and the EXOSURE to us, the users, is also the product. The thing Google does is get the one group to pay enough for their desired product, that the other group doesn't have to pay for theirs. A simple thank you is sufficient I'm sure.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

quote:

If the leaders of the company purposely violated our users' trust, there would be open revolt and the founders would be lucky to not find themselves strung up by their toes

we the non paying public demand that cjs in pakistan do something about this unruly billionaire immediately

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

uncurable mlady posted:

i'd rather work at ms

woah, okay, let's not say or do anything we can't take back

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Wild EEPROM posted:

does the + modifier in google search actually work now or is it still a google+ thing

they broke all their advanced search characters to hide the fact that they hijacked + for goog+

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Wild EEPROM posted:

if you want a search term to show up, put quotes around it. that also stops them from giving you results for "similar" words

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

prefect posted:

if you want a search term to show up, put quotes around it. that also stops them from giving you results for "similar" words

p sure "this" doesn't work for verbatim strings anymore, I remember getting pissed about that a while back because I was trying to search a string with some punctuation

• Locked thread