Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Surprised to see Google Maps is actually not too bad for turn-by-turn directions now. It includes recommended lanes, the next two turns, and very impressive the time cost of not taking the marked route: i.e. if you go straight ahead instead of turning left.

Unfortunately in CT I noted that if four lanes appear only 3 feet before a junction, being alerted to which of those to be whilst only in three is really useless as the extra lane can be either the left or the right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

dazjw posted:

can you explain this slowly like i'm someone who's only ever driven on two lane roads

code:
Three lanes expanding to four then a junction splitting into 2+2 lanes:

/ / /
                   +---/ / /
-- __ ------------/ ----/ /
 _| =\__  -----------====/------
/o____o_\ ----------------------
--------------------------------
The Grand Army of the Republic Highway:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4165635,-73.4305788,3a,75y,81.96h,73.52t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sodG8CBmDbwzNL5VXF8duZQ!2e0

Somewhere else there are junctions that fork to the right, i.e.

code:
-- __ --------------------------
 _| =\__  ----------------------
/o____o_\ ------------====\-----
-------------------\ ----- \
                    +---\ \ \
                         \ \ \
                          \ \ \
So it is not obvious which is the second lane from the left (out of four lanes).

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 1, 2014

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Because simply having a spare pair charging in the car was too obvious.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Base Emitter posted:

i think only microsoft managers are touchy about employee phone choice

I work for Reuters and constantly use Bloomberg content for reference, no manager has even noticed. I used the Bloomberg logo on Reuters news on the NYSE floor, it was only changed a day before going live. Bloomberg provide better photos and videos of my work too, so of course I'm going to use them :lol:

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

So Google Car should launch a Google Drone to map out the roads in the immediate vicinity thus it can now drive anywhere!

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Still waiting on all these magical updates to Google Docs, when will this pile of trash actually load and save DOC and XLS files with 100% compatibility. Google is so smart, prove it.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Actually was impressed with Office 365, it can load everything I have given it. It cannot save anything though without breaking it really badly.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

The Management posted:

hi, we're google. we discovered your vulnerability a month before your next scheduled update when all of your poo poo is in lockdown for testing. you should add this fix in.

Microsoft apologists use a 90-day month calendar, maybe with Windows 10 you can upgrade to a decimal calendar for a nice round 100-day month, because ...

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

LastInLine posted:

tbf google does patch android but carriers and oems dont see the value in ensuring consumers have access to them

the dumping of KitKat or whatever updates is pretty much the only passive aggressive way google can bring users to complain upon vendors and carriers continually pushing old garbage versions.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Cocoa Crispies posted:

if Chinese companies steal and support google software they'll be the first

If Chinese companies support any software it will be a first. Ship it and forget it is quite widespread.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Beeftweeter posted:

shaggar was right

about the gmail part at least. it still works on my old iphone 4 that was registered years ago, why the gently caress cant they support newer devices also (the answer is anroid)

the support page was never updated: https://support.google.com/a/answer/135937?hl=en

:lol: crackberry 10

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Shaggar posted:

they stopped using active sync because it allows people to use whatever device + mail client they want because it is a standard.

I wonder how many clients fully support IMAP, CardDAV, CALDAV and how many support ActiveSync.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Tizen? More like tisane

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Shifty Pony posted:

some of samsung's internal software is epically awful

their internal webmail client (which they forced everyone to use by killing outlook/exchange support) started deleting everything after 30 days or when you hit 100MB in your inbox with no way to restore. it also had some strange social networking things integrated into it with personalized pages for each employee.

This is probably the sensible way to force people to use a DMS to track important issues. If both are terrible though :derp:

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Shifty Pony posted:

you are assuming a dms existed. a workflow system was integrated into the email thing but that's about it.

an engineer in quality control rolled his own dms to track critical issues and it was so effective it was used site wide. then hq found out about it, said they were going to implement it company wide, and proceeded to turn it over to the internal software folks who then stripped out all of the useful features and flexibility that made it so effective in the first place.

Oh and relocated the server to Korea so we couldn't touch it and had to be logged into a slow as balls vpn to use. which is a problem when the best way to document a problem is 130mb of raw photos or an hd video showing a robot exhibiting bad movement due to a failed bearing. and those photos and videos had to be embedded into a word doc because .tif and .mpeg weren't supported file types (remember I said they removed the flexibility?).

Samsung, with over 40,000 software engineers, ...

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

It does look a pretty game though, I hope they ship the artwork books.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

quote:

we'd have to run around the house to find the right unit
Nest actually tells you which unit is on alarm, which is kind of the point.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Shifty Pony posted:

get a $20 seven day programmable thermostat. problem solved.

You'll just get yelled at to fix the thermostat all the time as no one will want to touch it or just leave override on.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I get "The time in Wellington, New Zealand is 3:50:" ...

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

saucepanman posted:

3000$ gets you a nice computer.

woah :eyepop::monocle:

That's like a Surface with keyboard right?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

saucepanman posted:

$1,849.00 (Surface Pro 3 - 512GB / Intel i7) + 100$ (keyboard)

so no

Add Office, Visio, docking station, pen, etc, and it easily becomes > $3k. Still not a nice computer ...

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

pseudorandom name posted:

why would Apple care, they already have lightning?

It would be neat if the power adapter was a mag-safe lightning connector. It is kinda hosed if future MacBooks cannot use mag-safe.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

quote:

Criticizing Google is like criticizing Putin, while criticism of Apple is like criticizing the leader of the free world: inversely proportional to its rational merits.

:lol: http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/03/15/whos-afraid-of-the-apple-watch-aapl

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Shaggar posted:

why would the EU need to approve a connector?

EU directive to reduce E-waste due to incompatible junk power adapters.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Valeyard posted:

why is Chrome "dropping support for Java" :psyduck:

Going to wait a long time for all the VNC remote consoles to be updated to canvas or whatever. Similarly all those crappy IP security cameras with custom rear end hat plugins. Google could at least get DropCam hosting HTML 5 video streams.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Google's hiring always seems desperate for large project management, not exactly a plentiful market. SREs and SDEs rates just appear to be churn.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

anthonypants posted:

it's a matter of semantics. no one uses search engines on their smartphones...

And yet, http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/mobile/google-searches-mobile-devices-top-pcs-first-time-n354101

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

"Google Chromium" is enough to flag the reporter as not having a clue.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

PleasureKevin posted:

The key here is that Chromium is not a Google product

google shuts down chromium, someone update the database

Even slashdot editors finally noted this and updated their post to be "Debian Chromium", Chromium is a project by the The Chromium Authors :lol:, Chome is the Google product.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Launching a product and it failing is better than no product at all, something something Edison learnt 10,000 ways not to make a light build.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Picasa was pretty much the first app to prioritize UI rendering performance and have super zippy scrolling, nobody else took the hint though.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Woohoo, my "Ethernet Adapter for Chromecast" arrived. Google cannot be bothered to release a 5Ghz Chromecast but instead release an Ethernet adapter you can plug in.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Thanks Ants posted:

tbf to google the ethernet adaptor is actually quite a nice design. if it was sarnsung it would just be hanging out the usb port and you'd have to choose between powering it or using ethernet until someone on ebay started selling a third party cable to do both.

It's not too bad, the delivery box is like three times the size of the device and software wise Google appears to be copying Microsoft:

Ooh look an update to the Chromecast app, ...

Erm.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Why is Google Earth listed twice? So good it can die twice?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I bet they don't work with Nest.

Just one device? It looks like a D-link trash can, I thought they may be a bit smarter like Eero.

Same price as Eero, $199.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 18, 2015

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

well, you could say that about a thermostat too.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

apparently it uses Gentoo too, but I also read somewhere about it using ChromeOS code, but definitely not Anroid.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

But somehow Chome OS ended up being secure and Anroid a gaping welcome mat.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Google Inc. Class A Common Stock is changing from CUSIP 38259P508 to 02079K305, and Class C from 38259P706 to 02079K107.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

duTrieux. posted:

chromecast is great. not entirely sure why they want to add games to it though.

multi-user games in a party can be fun, some of the Google ones are really weird though, like a question: how tall is Mount Kilimanjaro in Justin Biebers?

• Locked thread