Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Caged posted:

According to two sources, Google has apparently been reshuffling the teams that used to form the core of Google+, a group numbering between 1,000 and 1,200 employees.

lmao what a horrendous waste of human life

so with six figure salaries that's a minimum of 100 million every year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
:stare:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

it benefits Facebook because they still know what sites you're trying to log into so they can sell you related ads but other sites can't now

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cygni posted:

lol like anyone buys a winders, it comes preinstalled on your crappy bargain bin laptop that breaks in 2 years

tbf microsoft didn't exactly encourage people buying them with copies costing like $200

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

uncurable mlady posted:

no matter who wins, you're hosed

we're better off with them fighting each other

the syria of the tech world

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
i thought that'd be a realtime location of where the devices were but i guess that's too creepy/the :nsa: wants that for themselves

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Install Windows posted:

msn messenger is dead
yahoo messenger is dead
aim is dying
icq is dying
irc doesnt let them do dumb video chat

icq isn't dying in :china:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

hobbesmaster posted:

that's because that's all that austin was 40 years ago

that's texas in general

houston was smaller than Minneapolis in 1970

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
valve needs a separate group of people for their storefront/customer service stuff

let the game devs play in their ball pit if they want but there are some things that need organization

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
shooters are all terrible

single player shooters even more so

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Phoenixan posted:

whenever i tried watching anything on twitch the connection's never been stable so i never bothered watching anything or going there

at the same time i don't really give as many fucks about video games these days so

literally the only thing of note out of twitch other than neck beards streaming games was a game of pokemon controlled by the comments

so you didn't miss much

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Stereotype posted:

America isn't really the land of the free because I can't even distort the electromagnetic spectrum here without goin to jail

sure you can, just not at that wavelength

try at 500nm or so and you should be good to go

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

pseudorandom name posted:

let me know when Google Maps is allowed to respond to Siri voice commands, replace the lock screen, use custom banner notification icons or share data usage between apps

i'm guessing you think iTunes is also anti-competitive

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FMguru posted:

someone broke down those google numbers by group

lol at tech v non-tech. male engineers outnumber women 5:1

honestly compared to my computer engineering class freshman year that's a bit high for women

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
google's gonna buy spotify and lots of people will get mad

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
that sounds just like microsoft

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

theflyingexecutive posted:

for real, when is fbook gonna spin off another college only network?

the filtering options they have make it so you effectively can have that now

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rufus Ping posted:

tinder requiring a facebook account is seriously the stupidest loving thing

who the gently caress uses facebook

750 million people log in to Facebook daily as of december 2013

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2014/feb/04/facebook-in-numbers-statistics

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

double sulk posted:

idk whether im the LFC or ALOHA

who is that supposed to be on the obama poster

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

theadder posted:

facebook will look like myspace does now before a decade is up

a decade's already been up for Facebook

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
it's still not going to be true though since tumblr already has the myspace customization demographic

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
blackberry will probably get bought by microsoft to "further their enterprise credibility"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

api call girl posted:

did cremnob's title always read apple stymie

no

this has been going around a lot

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

flakeloaf posted:

OH NO

can't google for things because your pesky steering wheel is in the way

"I can't search for anything while watching out for all those pedestrians"

THERE'S GOT TO BE A BETTER WAY

the better way is obviously to hire a chauffeur

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

theflyingexecutive posted:

hey look five icons about to disappear

five in 3 months, six in a year

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i don't think the eu could realistically do this. tampering with the tax laws of member states would be a real rough ride

i'm sure there's a "any trade not within the eu must follow eu laws" clause somewhere

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

LastInLine posted:

as someone who works with foreign addresses let me assure you that british addresses are notoriously not computer friendly

that said they arent nearly as bad as it gets in the developing world where you get things like "opposite gas station" (india, middle east) or simply [thing] with no number street or anything other than the city (saharan africa)

the weird thing is that with the exception of india former british colonies have probably the most sensible address layouts of anywhere although france and french colonies did a good job too (with the exception of using 9xxxx for every french territory not in france and oh yeah a bunch in france too)

yeah in china i had to find an address for a hotel and it was literally "x street, next to the hospital and the grocery market"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Wild EEPROM posted:

remember when youtube was actually about watching stupid videos of skateboarding accidents and cat videos and google didn't try to shove suggested videos down your throat

i've not spent more than about 10 minutes on youtube at any one time for a while now

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ah yes, the EA model

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

uncurable mlady posted:

incidentally if Microsoft had made the iPhone first they would probably be doing a lot better!!

but it would look like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9HfdSp2E2A

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Pinterest Mom posted:

reminder that stocks are impossible to predict and it's impossible to tell if warren buffet is good or merely lucky

buffet basically has his own uncertainty principle going on where his very presence effects how the stock market works

this is only because he's worth several billion dollars though

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

theadder posted:

do no evil

*for certain definitions of evil

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

poty posted:

if it rains or anything at all changes from the mapped data you crash and possibly kill someone

just make it fly and you'll get billions from the us government

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PleasureKevin posted:

truthfully though I'm trained to open the doors and windows while cooking because of my smoke detector.

don't burn your poo poo

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

qirex posted:

we're not going to have drone fighter aircraft because the air force needs people to be able to be fighter pilots otherwise nobody would sign up for their branch

I assume classified UAVs and drones are both vastly superior to manned aircraft at this point

would navy pilots be automated though?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
a lot of people actually like those giant emoticons

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The Merkinman posted:

I'm not even going to say which I am, but lol at everyone focusing on my use of the word millennial and not the more important word, entitled.

by which you mean "black"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
iirc anyone born post 9/11 is a different generation but we don't have to care about them for another 5 years or so at the earliest

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Stringent posted:

to me, millennials look and sound a lot like the boomers did at their age.

can you imagine what the millennials are going to look like when they get to be the boomers' age?

less white

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cold on a Cob posted:

The payoff for this self-imposed ostracism is that you can be in the Metaverse for about an hour, and gather intelligence for about an hour.

• Locked thread