Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
google plus taking over youtube comments owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

flakeloaf posted:

were youtube comments ascribed to their real-named owners retroactively because if so lol

i think so yeah

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Smythe posted:

i dont think so. uinless u chose 2 merge ur accts - in which case there was plenty of warning

a lot of people did merge them unknowingly

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
lol that you think google will ever die when not even aol has died

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
they're both going to be around at least as long as ibm has been around tbqh. one might buy the other tho

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

cremnob posted:

apple needs to twist the knife and get rid of google as default and thereby deny a hugely profitable and engaged userbase

apple needs to suicide

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

hmmm cory doctorow-lite, yase

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
apple search would at most be a bing rebrand like current yahoo

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

theadder posted:

i posted it because its stupid but it also wouldnt surprise me too much if something appeared at some point

ping is a bit different because they could have apple search as the default in safari

ah yes, a default in a browser only existing on a minority of mobile devices, and a very tiny minority of regular computers. this will truly be a success.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Beeftweeter posted:

at first i was going to say theres no way apple would partner with anyone for something like search but them i remembered apple maps are basically tomtom maps (and some other providers maybe?) so i guess its possible

i still dont see it happening though. they'll probably just replace google with bing or yahoo as the default provider

why would apple partner with anyone else for search? well, they've been partnering with google for a good decade by now.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
apple is already dead hth

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
typical macintosh user

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
oh no google's scanning my gmail account... the horror...

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 05:26 on May 1, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

cremnob posted:

yea but ios 7 was all about letting the content take front and center and the change fits with the overall design goal. google is trying to become the new aol and have everyone search for keywords on google.com. CPC is tanking, little tweaks like this will incrementally drive up aggregate clicks

http://www.allenpike.com/2014/burying-the-url/

cool impression of how i'd write a strawman apple defender

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

spongeh posted:

ios7 was about ruining years of good ui by going for looks over legibility and usability, and proving that being a great hardware designer doesn't mean you can design UIs for poo poo.

i dont see how it proves it, they haven't had great hardware design since december 1992

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
stebe's rdf only getting more powerful after being struck down i see

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cygni posted:

i truly had to view the world as a fishmech to get this dumb abbreviation

it was rather poo poo

how do you yospost and not know about the rdf

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cygni posted:

ive been gone a while i apologize :(

dog the reality distortion field is older than most of yospos

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
shaggar was right

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I hate when things are set so link colors don't chat after clicking

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Forums Terrorist posted:

communism is to capitalism as google is to apple, clowns all around

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cocoa Crispies posted:

also http://www.google.com/get/videoqualityreport/ still doesn't have results for my area and isp

thats because theres no quality :laugh:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Necc0 posted:

aaaahahaha gently caress you google

wait, you mean we can make more money by utilizing our deep pockets to sign exclusive deals with carriers to gently caress our competitors? *quietly abandons net neutrality*

google signed direct transit agreements and placing in-network cdns starting in about 2003 dude

why do idiots keep thinking this has anything to do with net neutrality

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cocoa Crispies posted:

i just think "what if you only had one plan that was $5 per seat-month or $50 per seat-year"

then microsoft makes much less money out of the people they can currently trick.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
only spergs care about windows skus because a normal just sees a home one and a business/professional one

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
im just glad apple stopped groupign multiple meaningfulyl different actual models under the same m-number

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
too bad macs dont sell so it doesnt matter in the first place

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
stop trying to fob off your overpriced computers on grandma when noone buys it, namaste

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

duTrieux. posted:

lol, no.

some places may have limited how many skus were sold, but during the vista era and into 7 the official ms merchandising strategy was loving bonkers

there was literally an AIDS edition of vista

and 99% of the sold copies to consumers were home, business, or ultimate, coincidentally also 99% of what showed up on store shelves

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

computer parts posted:

tbf microsoft didn't exactly encourage people buying them with copies costing like $200

if you buy the high end version, sure.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
excuse me it was vitally important that there was a copy of windows available with no media player so that there could be copetetion for free media players ion the eu tyvm!!!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
i love n versions of windows because they meant i got double the keys when i got a year of technet

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

uncurable mlady posted:

then you're an idiot

of course he is, he's an apple user

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Trast posted:

That might be true for furnaces. I'm down in South Florida so we mainly deal with straight cool systems. And any of those that are two speed or variable speed won't work with NEST. That is direct from the manufacturers and our own experience working with them. And it doesn't make sense because you'd think Google would want to data mine from the higher end customers.

nest was developed by silicon valley dudes who barely use or even have air conditioning but do occasionally have to use simple heat setups; hence why its unsuitable for a ton of places.

google's certainly not going to spend more money on the product

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Trast posted:

That just makes even less sense as a purchase then. :psyduck:

as a purchase for google? nest guys had some patents and poo poo and an overpriced product that people were and maybe still are buying a good amount of. no lose deal really.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cocoa Crispies posted:

i kinda wonder why he didn't use google+ to barge his way in instead of twitter

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

pram posted:

nice jpeg fuckwit

:devil:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

scroogle nmaps posted:

wasnt google latitude basically this

it was available in like 2010 and nobody used it ever

its now just called location history.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

rotor posted:

peanisburg

narrow peanisburg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
cremnob how does it feel to know deep down that google will never die or even be seriously afflicted in business

• Locked thread