Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
what was the rationale for real names again? something about making the internet less infantile and petty?

because lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
arguing with shaggar detected

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

but that's as far back as it'll fold

that's what you think

*breaks computer over knee*

TAKE THAT GOOGLE

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

http://google-nest.org/ posted:

Google Hug. There for one another.

Having a bad day? Chances are high that someone else is too. And they’re probably not far away. 82% of the average person’s human interactions are now digital – which leaves very little for real connection. Who do you reach out to when you need face to face contact just to share your feelings or drink a cup of tea?

With our unique behavioral monitoring algorithms, embedded within all Google tools and services, we know when you’re not at your best and what kind of interaction you might need to feel better. Google Hug helps you find others nearby who have the same needs you do. Anytime. Just reach out and you’ll find what you’re looking for. We promise.

no google no. DONT HUG ME GOOGLE. DONT TOUCH ME THERE

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Kheldragar posted:

Where can I get one?

mailto:ralp@somethingawful.com
subject: please train me to the nite crew forum <eom>

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

THC posted:

it only took them 2 years to implement this trivial feature

wasnt google latitude basically this

it was available in like 2010 and nobody used it ever

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

DarkJC posted:

all mail is the archive

why do we need archive now

nsa has it all stored in utah

i guess youd have to go to utah to get it

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

my favorite sony move was the software used to put music on minidiscs, which added their special OpenMG DRM onto creative commons licensed tracks.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Install Windows posted:

this is a pretty cute way to say "it's ok that apple is a colossal failure"

wat.

i don't like apple, but they're far from a horrible colossal failure.

anyway this is the gently caress google thread. why are we talking about apple.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

im the classism

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

wsj is behind a paywall unless you have a goog referrer, so this is probably helpful

i dont think you understand how copy pasting works

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

i still dont understand why people have a problem with their music being used in videos in the background or for some purpose other than just having the entire track available to rip. meanwhile there is another section of the company dedicated to getting as much radio airplay as possible.

some guys movie preview show that uses the trailers with the original soundtrack will find itself muted because someone thought that listening to a movie soundtrack clip is somehow depriving a label of money? gently caress off.

broadcast fees are totally not a thing nope

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

doesnt google have an office to handle paper forms hand-signed by the parent or guardian of a childe under 13 years of age who wants there very own google+ account

the joke is that nobody wants a google+ account regardless of age

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Busta Chimes.wav posted:

good, only olds fullscreen their browsers

wat.

i fullscreen my browser all the time.

does this mean i am an old.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Busta Chimes.wav posted:

you don't find it annoying to read the forums stretched across an entire monitor? what resolution do you use?

2650x1440

at 221 ppi

:getin:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

most of the google ads i get now are for the products i support because i use it to search for manuals and poo poo

yes google, i /would/ like to purchase enterprise security appliances!

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

phones are v important, per okcupid profiles

nobody lists 'fusion power' as something they cant live without

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

transit nav is still broken but apparently theres now better integration with uber

thanks for subtly encouraging me to kill the planet or smth google

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Fabricated posted:

I work in academia

I have two separate pools of time off; one for sick, one for vacation, +some personal days/holidays

sitting at like 280 or so hours sick time, and 310 hours of vacation, and a week or so of personal days/holidays

yeah academia gave me 4 weeks off that i got in a block at the beginning of the year.

that said they fired me after 1.5 months so didnt really get to use that.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

The Management posted:

wtf does this have to do with google and how terrible they are?

apparently the lawyer in question did some work against google not advertising exactly what it should

so theres that

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

what will i use to replace google earth flight sim

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

your posting? broadband

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

IPvSH6T posted:

my posting? broadband

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

it cant be worse than the OS on my samsung smart tv.

or that thing's just bad because the processor in it is about as fast a pII as best I can tell

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

its funny how much nerds hate touchwiz but normal people dont have a problem

normal people are dumb

but so are nerds

makes u think

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

my installation of firefox sometimes freezes up for 5 seconds for no apparent reason and sometimes pegs a CPU core to 100% until it's killed when playing some html5 videos.

chrome does neither of these things but its also bad so welp

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

firefox isnt based on dumbass webkit

why would the main rendering engine handle image rendering anyway. wouldnt that be delegated to whatever the gif equivalent of libpng is or whatever.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

testing software yourself is such a waste of a developer's time. just let the users tell you what's wrong and fix it in the next release. that's why it's called beta!

this would sort of work if there was anyone googles users could complain to when they have problems

you can make a post in google product forums i guess

lol if you expect that to actually accomplish anything

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

cremnob posted:

speaking of autism

http://www.wired.com/2015/02/tech-companies-and-vaccines/

At one Google daycare, only 49 percent of children are completely vaccinated.

Given their parentage, they're probably all autistic regardless.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

you should see my fonts.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

lol business insider

at least it's not Forbes

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

http://googleforwork.blogspot.com/2015/02/android-is-ready-for-work.html

introducing the new anroid, now with blackberry.

wat.

also lol SAP.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

eric posted:

I've always wondered why they pay YouTube stars so much considering their audience are kids and poors.

hey, i'm a grown man and i watch the only youtube star that matters, cooking with dog

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

google isn't taking the breakup with firefox well

Really though, did any Firefox user that wasn't using DuckDuckGo as their search engine of choice already (although they apparently show the same thing if you use DDG's !google thing to pass through to Google results) really go "gee, now that Mozilla has changed partnerships, I think I'lll start using Yahoo!"?

I sure as hell didn't. poo poo was defaulted back to Google as soon as it came out. Yahoo! is a website olds use to infect their computers with viruses while they read bad news articles with a mediocre search engine thrown in somewhere and/or a company that is trying to make anything it acquires as bad as possible (lol Fliickr).

Google is also terrible but other search engines are worse.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

why would anyone be offended by my silent camera eyewear? it's no different from strangers visibly waving phones at you, or security cameras!!!!

"eh our product is basically the precursor to a black mirror episode but w/e"

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

El_Elegante posted:

cummunist Chiba would be a good weed brand

The province east of Tokyo?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

duTrieux. posted:

universal minimum wage now

we already have one or do you mean guaranteed basic income

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

all plain http traffic got an extra tag thing added on requests. https traffic had none of the tracker stuff added because breaking ssl for it would be way more trouble than it was worth.

Not necessarily. Verizon Android phones typically have their crapware baked into the OS image (I believe they specifically have gotten flak for including some shady stuff in the past). If they wanted to put a local TLS proxy on them a la Lenovo, they could do so. I imagine it would go over rather poorly, but it's possible.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

calling pagancow we need pagancow on the scene of this thread stat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

ShadowHawk posted:

most things are when you're dyslexic.

• Locked thread