Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the thing I'll never get about g+ is why they had to be so up-front about stuff like merging accounts, making you use your real name, etc.

letting people use their BS internet names [or even multiple ones under the same account, whoa] would have been a competitive advantage over FB and they'd still have all that juicy usage data anyway without annoying people and souring them to the idea

[g+ has such a bad interface, particularly on mobile they never had much of a chance anyway]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

i am bored and full of cider right now and will answer the first 3 questions about working for google

approximately how many times a week do you find yourself frustrated with a co-worker being particularly "googley"?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I do think it's important to note that no modern company has managed to gently caress up as badly as the AOL/TW merger yet

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

ps i had the stella artois cider last night its actually pretty decent

I've heard it's good but laffo at them trying to sell it for $7 I can get cider made by actual hipsters for that much

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

prefect posted:

if you want a search term to show up, put quotes around it. that also stops them from giving you results for "similar" words

p sure "this" doesn't work for verbatim strings anymore, I remember getting pissed about that a while back because I was trying to search a string with some punctuation

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

flat ui design is equally good or bad to one with more dimensionality, the difference is flat requires more work to get right and nobody's really got it right yet

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the people who do their pricing and licensing are the real power at microsoft, every product they make that doesn't have a dozen skus and hundreds of crazy pricing rules dies

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if the only service option if it breaks is "take it to the apple store" what does it matter what year it came out?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

we're piloting zoom at work and it's p bad

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

flakeloaf posted:

it's almost like people who develop software shouldn't be the people who make UIs

nonsense! UI design, like all other non-programming jobs, can be easily done by a a good programmer

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

free thing? no way is that any good, we need to purchase a $150,000 telepresence system from cisco

we have one of those and it's lame

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it's literally their only piece of technology leadership at the moment

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shifty Pony posted:

where is your god now?!

note that like all glassholes I've seen he also has his phone out because the phone he strapped to his head isn't very good

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I watch streams of games I'm not sure if I want to buy or not

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I think "causes physical pain" is generally a deal-breaker for consumer products [well most of them, don't want to kinkshame]

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I wonder if they didn't include a good carrying case on purpose to encourage people to wear them all the time

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Install Windows posted:

Don't they like not even fold up or something?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

If Nest is $250 this creates a market opportunity for a $500 thermostat that doesn't show you ads

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

was going to say that honeywell has you covered but apparently their consumer programmable thermostats top out at $300

looks like bad custom android UI

people like nest because it's not ugly, and quelle surprise tech spergs don't get that

a $250 thermostat is less than most people spend on nickel-plated drawer pulls

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Necc0 posted:

quelle surprise if google is actually serious then they don't either

yep

can't wait until they make wordlens totally unusable

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Boxturret posted:

can't wait for the car accidents caused by the driver being distracted by ads popping up in front of them

but you see if you hand over the work of driving to a computer then the passengers can be bombarded by ads constantly

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

when I was in high school physics for our final project my friend and I were going to build a railgun but the teacher was pretty sure we'd hurt ourselves doing it so instead of actually building anything we just had to write a report about it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shifty Pony posted:

if tech companies implemented and strictly applied meaningful codes of conduct for particular services (advertising, search, etc) instead of having libertarian tantrums whenever the possibility of not being total selfish fuckwits is raised, maybe they could get out in front of this and not have the government come in with hard regulations
this will only happen if the risks for gaming the system exceed the reward for participating ethically, "do bad poo poo until you get caught" is still the best way to make money

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

google plus is literally the friend zone

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

my big dumb boring corporate job is by far the most diverse place I've ever worked and it's great [and not just for potlucks]

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

quote:

Berlin artist Julian Oliver has written a simple program called Glasshole.sh that detects any Glass device attempting to connect to a Wi-Fi network [...] When it detects Glass, it uses the program Aircrack-NG to impersonate the network and send a “deauthorization” command, cutting the headset’s Wi-Fi connection.
http://julianoliver.com/output/log_2014-05-30_20-52

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Management posted:

first, I want to congratulate you on saying "the 280", which is the correct way to say it.
go back to LA

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

article highway naming is southern california garbage

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

didn't they do it the other way like 2 years ago?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Cold on a Cob posted:

stymie's gimmick is that there is no gimmick

the bruce lee of pedantic shitposting

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

p sure there were already a couple academic papers on using connectedness as a search ranking metric before google too

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

implementation trumps theory but it's just kind of funny that goog has spent the last 15 years hiring all the people they think are the smartest and best in the world and they have a couple decent ideas to show for it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

flakeloaf posted:

what does that even mean

aggressive, smelly, subterranean

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shifty Pony posted:

they aren't hunting. they are taking pigeons, stuffing them in little launchers, then shooting them when they are thrown into the air. pigeon shoots are hosed up entertainment for people that don't even want to go through the bother of hunting and just want to kill some poo poo while drinking beer with buddies.

idgi it's like "I must literally kill something" why not just use clay targets if you're going to do that

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

luxxotica thought the oakley mp3 glasses were ok but glass is too shameful

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

no seriously i want those

you can get a used pair for under a hundred although like always on ebay there's someone trying to sell "collectible" ones for 10 times the going price
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR9.TRC2.A0.H0.Xoakley+thump&_nkw=oakley+thump&_sacat=0

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I assume they haven't restored the only good feature of the smoke detector which was to be able to shut off false alarms

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

oh good now i don't hafta make sure not to wave my arms around if there's a real fire

if there's a real fire and you're at the point where you're waving your arms underneath it the smoke detector has done its job because you are aware of the fire and not in bed or anything

once you're aware of the emergency what's the point of it continuing to make noise other than make an incredibly unpleasant experience that much worse?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

theflyingexecutive posted:

some people aren't ~forever alone~

I won't bother making sure the kids are awake, the smoke detector is still going

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Smythe posted:

good + cool

good + cool except google will probably cancel the actual helpful thing and set them to work stabilizing laser targeting and gun mounts for the bigdog

• Locked thread