Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

rubber cat posted:

google buzz was unironically superior to google+

i never used google buzz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

yosplus is cool. it seems like g+ is a nice place to make little private communities, but maybe not so great to just be all posting stuff in public.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

i have never used g+ because every time i sign into it i see garbage from people i don't even know posted to my "Circles" as like, i dunno, sponsored "you may like this" content or some poo poo? why does any company think that anyone wants that?

there's a lot of turning off of things you have to do before it's usable.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

wanna see my favorite implementation of infinite scrolling?

go here

http://www.thingiverse.com/search/page:1?q=box&sa=

scroll down to the "end" and wait for it to load new items. do this three or four times

ok now try to get to the top of the page

my favorite thing is here: http://popsugar.com

now try to click a link at the bottom. hope you're on a slow link!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

I guess that only applies to non-mobile users

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

vapid cutlery posted:

im really sick of you trying to promote your weblog fucker

"man we really need to hire more people, why isn't anyone hitting our 'careers' link??"

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

peanisburg

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i really want to know when they're getting rid of the automatic, random "Important" flags that I cant seem to get rid of

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sham bam bamina! posted:

go to the inbox panel in settings and select "no markers" :)

w00t

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

cpc has been declining for everyone

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

hangouts are actually really good and a lot better than:

that cisco garbage we tried
that other one I can't remember but was awful

tip: to make a hangout permanent, make an event - "daily standup" for instance - and attach a hangout to it. viola, that URL is now bookmarkable and will always exist.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

threefive posted:

hipchat is solid

just use irc imo

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

i take like 60% of the blame for it being called hangouts. when the team was split between seattle and sweden we had an internal vchat room where we would idle in the background and ask questions occasionally just like irc that i named hangout. 2 years later, welp. they did realize that talk was a better brand name, but i forget what the other reasons were to switch. they managed to convince the people whose opinions that mattered though.

this is why google is ridiculous to me. there's zero adult supervision. engineers just ~do things~ until something is successful. valve is the same way.

there's this giant huge cash fountain and they've used that to make a playground for engineers with blind faith that this will produce something worthwhile. So far, not so much.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

btw as long as you're taking g+ feature requests:

• just make the feed chronological for fucks sake. this thing where you run through what are I'm sure are very clever algorithms designed to show me what I find most interesting are all garbage. Show me the stuff I asked to see, and show it to me in chronological order.
  • that's it, everything else is fine, dont gently caress it up.

ps: thank you for the soundcloud integration

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

pram posted:

uhh go???

dart??

closure compiler is nice

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Necc0 posted:

this model actually works for valve, though

no, the giant money fountain that is steam just masks their immense inefficiency, just like Adsense does for google

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

aw man I bailed out of interviewing with those guys

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

isnt the whole deal with twitch that it's embedded in game consoles so it can pull in demo data from there?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Install Windows posted:

well yeah but that only just happened at the end of last year with the xb1 and ps4.

like i dont know poo poo about whatever but having all the data from everyones console seems like a big chunk of stuff that goog was missing out on and $1bn doesn't seem all that crazy when it comes to something like that

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

spongeh posted:

that's not really how their api works on the pc at least. its just pushing h264 frames to their ingest servers. theres very little data to be had there.

I have my doubts and even if that is the case it wont be for much longer

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

spongeh posted:

it is 100% the case right now on the pc, i've used their native integration api. there is some limited metadata that you can optionally provide for stuff like their game directory. however sony is primarily partnered with ustream, and microsoft is obviously very against letting google datamine their consoles, so i'd expect sony/ms to drop twitch before they give in to their data collection demands.

Oh. I thought the ps4 used twitch too?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Apple is a far worse monopoly than MS ever was.

but lmao like the government is going to do anything about it, they lost the last vestige of interest in trustbusting right in the middle of the MSFT trial.

by all rights, microsoft should have been split into OS, Office and Internet companies. Probably would have been better for them in the long run.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

this car just witnessed something horrible

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

"oh my god. oh my god. oh my god. holy poo poo. we've gotta get out of here. jesus christ, did you loving see that? that guy ... his arm just ... we've gotta get out of here. holy poo poo."

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

01011001 posted:

did it look in a mirror

no, it saw ur posts; lmbo

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

I think wearables will eventually be a thing but i'm sorry, the head will not be where we wear them. Around the neck maybe, or on the arm watch-style maybe but not on the head. People - and here I'm talking about real people, not silicon valley people - are just not going to tolerate that.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i want to see more research into PANs that will use bare skin as a conductor so we can just put little pieces of stuff on wherever we want

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

cremnob posted:

fuzzy mammal dont fix this bug or ur a punk bitch working for the new microsoft

shut up, apple stymie

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

cremnob posted:

nobody has worked on that thing for years. it will probly be killed soon

the goog finance widgets are actually really well done

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Dicky B posted:

advertisers need to learn to gently caress off and die

who's gonna pay for the stuff you get for free then

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

AWWNAW posted:

does advertising actually like... work on anyone whose mouth isn't perpetually hanging open

not in a "just saw an ad, gonna go buy a thing now" way, no

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OVr3EfB_z8

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Nintendo Kid posted:

doesnt this come from when they still made women do a lot of the grunt work with computers as a way to keep their employment costs low

no it was during the late 90s a bunch of companies went to washington and made the case that software is special and we LIKE working 60 hour weeks and please don't do anything that might harm the biggest economic run up in American history ... and they DIDNT!!!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Miley Virus posted:

guess you better edit wikipedia then, don't want some poorly calibrated fishmechin' around these parts

that's what I remember anyway

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

are there any indications at all that goog ever expected to turn driverless cars into a business?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

cremnob posted:

no cause thats the whole point with these pie in the sky projects, u dont have to deal with hard things like the realities of figuring out how to create a viable business. 15 years out is too long a time frame for google's goldfish engineers/management to think about commercializing the technology. they'll probably have moved on to the next company 3 times by then.

if the clowns at google actually studied steve jobs' career this would all be blatantly obvious

:rolleyes:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

pram posted:

im so tired of seeing bootstrap

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

just write your own poo poo on top of backbone jaysus how lazy are u

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

theadder posted:

they tried with android so its a good bet

u could learn a lot from this guy cremnob

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

infernal machines posted:

that happened because everyone had lost interest by the time the case was half over. no one cared any more.

they were out for blood when they started though

no one "lost interest", Bush was elected and everything just evaporated because republicans

• Locked thread