Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
movin to android woo. maybe i'll be able to see the android source finally lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
point on the doll to where google hurt you cremnob

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

cremnob posted:

facebook is just one horse of many that will help put google into the ground, and currently executing the best

google failed at social and now a $150 billion company exists when some portion of their market cap could have flowed to google if they werent incompetent and microsoft-like in resting on their laurels. they then spent years with google+, integrating it into all of their products trying to recreate facebook and get a slice of that pie. meanwhile facebook saw the writing on the wall and has been aggressive about buying the properties where users are increasingly spending most of their time (as well as not caring about making facebook.com the center of their universe, as is evident in their willingness to unbundle it). larry just figured this out a few weeks ago after a couple of FBs quarterly earnings sank in and fired vic gundotra.

this is totally accurate and 100% reflects reality

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
it's cool we'll all be living in water world by then

i am bored and full of cider right now and will answer the first 3 questions about working for google

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

syscall girl posted:

what kind of cider is it?

pretty terrible, angry orchard ginger something. i think angry orchard is the barqs root beer of ciders where anheiser busch or someone bought a venerable brand just as a shortcut in to a market.

Beeftweeter posted:

how do you live with yourself

i work on a great product that millions of people use. (actual) mid six figures. its easy.

qirex posted:

approximately how many times a week do you find yourself frustrated with a co-worker being particularly "googley"?

people really believe in that poo poo. the most annoying googly thing is people bitching about others being ungoogly. like for example calling someone out for taking an entire bunch of bananas home.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
the office where all the conops (customer service) folks work is at least 85% women. working there is like being the guy who takes dance class in highschool.

the best customer service for google products is from the super hard core google users. usually if we have a workaround for something we don't even post it just send it to them and they will help the other people for us it's great.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

cremnob posted:

but also very revealing of the mentality of google. thx

yes having people dedicated to the things you do is a nice feeling.

you realize if you're a paying customer you get better cs too right?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
well your a terrible poster so i guess you'll fit right in

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i know how many retail copies of Windows home basic N were shipped worldwide in the first year, after the antitrust settlement. all that litigation, all that effort, and it was for 17 copies. motherfucking :lol:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
smythe send me your poo poo i got the hookups yo

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Install Windows posted:

excuse me it was vitally important that there was a copy of windows available with no media player so that there could be copetetion for free media players ion the eu tyvm!!!

the best part is that by default the first run of windows update would get media player anyway

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_

then just send the link to the room you're in to whoever, or use the in hangout invite. done.

we're also close to removing the plugin requirement.

hey rotor did you ever look in to http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/business/solutions/for-meetings.html ? it integrates really well if your business already uses google calendar.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Sudo Echo posted:

hold on, you're actually on the g+ team?

ya hangouts. it's been a fun few weeks

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Rufus Ping posted:

is s2s xmpp federation ever coming back

ianapm, but no :ssh:

i take like 60% of the blame for it being called hangouts. when the team was split between seattle and sweden we had an internal vchat room where we would idle in the background and ask questions occasionally just like irc that i named hangout. 2 years later, welp. they did realize that talk was a better brand name, but i forget what the other reasons were to switch. they managed to convince the people whose opinions that mattered though.

Caged posted:

what does the $250 annual fee actually cover.

i think some level of actual real person on the phone type support, and to recoup some of the hardware and rnd.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i'm not sure where you got all that. leadership was like, "we need to rebrand talk for reasons x,y,z. this will have consequences, including downsides a,b,c. it's still important we do this and xyz outweigh abc." where c is hangouts is a little weaker brand than talk.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
aeron chairs are pretty lovely and uncomfortable anyway hth

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Last Chance posted:

watching people play video games, yeah thats what i wanna do

http://www.foster.com/pdf/RiseOfESportsWhitePaper-FosterPepper.pdf

quote:

Who watches competitive gaming? ... Even more
astonishing, over 32 million people tuned in to
watch the final match, both online and on TV
networks in China and Korea. This marked a
fourfold increase in finals viewership from the
previous year. That level of participation might
not compare with the 108 million 2013 Super
Bowl viewers, but it eclipsed the audiences of
the deciding games in the 2013 Stanley Cup
(8 million), World Series (18 million) and NBA
Finals (26 million). With competitive gaming
being a recent phenomenon that has yet to
fully saturate mainstream American culture,
there is every reason to believe the viewership
– and the revenue it brings – will continue to
grow at an astonishing rate.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone wants an invitation to google i/o extended in kirkland hit me up

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
ask arthur andersen how that worked out. the big four sure loved it.

but seriously i agree. also personal responsibility for executives and board members.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i think it needs some tweaking...

https://plus.google.com/109576160493987357098/about?hl=en&gl=us

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

cremnob posted:

fuzzy mammal whats the hangouts status? is it still going to be a big pos?

big reorg, but we didn't move to android like techcrunch or whoever said. i'm on the ios version now.

trick question tho, everything but imessage is a pos to you my friend

e: gonna learn swift :getin:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
ipv6 works on the desktop, not sure about mobile. it should in theory the rtp stuff is all shared.

slow audio == packet loss concealment most likely. if its really important you can find the logs under %localappdata% or ~/Library/Application\ Support/ and pm them to me i'll take a look.

btw the best feature of the ios version is free pstn phone calling without using cellular

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
hey thc

yospos bithc

(pm me if you want someone to look in to it)

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

uncurable mlady posted:

there was an article a while back in the nyt magazine iirc about why this has happened; essentially, after the big wins against Enron and their financial guys, the rulings got gutted/overturned by higher courts and the doj got gunshy about going after individuals, instead preferring to wring large cash settlements and fines out of the companies. this has worked insofar as they've gotten record settlements against banks and other corporate entities, but those settlements are barely a couple of percent of their annual profits so it's just an easy cost of doing business and nothing changes.

well they got 1 years worth of profits out of pnb paribas for sidestepping the sanctions on sudan over darfur just this month. in one sense getting record sums out of these assholes is nice, but in the other its turned in to this extortion racket. the companies can't conceivably go to trial and are under absolute duress of complete revocation of business. no judicial review, no legislation applies, no public policy debate as to whether its better to do this or go after executives/boardmembers personally. it reeks of political ambition by ny prosecutors and tying all this to personal prosecutorial discretion is unseemly.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

i go on vacation for two goddamned weeks....

they were gonna announce this for the webrtc panel at i/o but it slipped. if u use chrome you don't need to download anything now that's all

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Shifty Pony posted:

the one googler I know is actually down to earth and doesn't give a poo poo about the perks really. then again he lives in Austin and works for their corporate products division so maybe the mountain view people are different

if you want a real gently caress google moment you should ask someone bout the history of the austin office. i had a friend who was switching there from dublin, and they announced they were closing the office while he was in the air with his family to move there. he gets off and his in laws are picking them all up in the airport and say, "what's going on with google?" and he had no idea what they were talking about. that's hosed up. like, why not tell him, "maybe you shouldn't transfer there for a bit," if you can't let it on that you're closing the office.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Boxturret posted:

how long has google chrome been able to lower all the other application's sounds when it plays audio?

it depends how you open the audio stream and whether you've set a default communication device. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd940522(v=vs.85).aspx

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
people are all over the nissan leaf around here (the google office. lol gently caress google amirite). if i am going to put the expense of an all electric drive system why tote around a full ice under the hood as well?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Wheany posted:

well now that we've done lolling at facebook, let me lol again at google finally allowing people not to use their real names

rip vic we hardly knew ye

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
my buddy steve wozniak had to fax in his driver's license before they believed him. those algos were pretty poo poo for the first few months.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i probably shouldn't make a habit of this but here is the latest entry on the cafe feedback mailing list. jfc

quote:

[Foodback 23610: US_KIR] Ice for 2pm Italian sodas changed

Hoping this was just a one time thing, but the type of ice today in "The Lair" MK is not nearly as nice for making italian sodas as the other kind. Today's was kind of like waffles, before it was more like gerbil food pellets.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
if people think plus is dead they must have no idea what its actual purpose is.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

because the hangouts team has abandoned the plugin in favor of a NaCL setup that only works in chrome beta

this was me :shobon: but you're totally off base.

saucepanman posted:

is NaCl code for something besides salt?

it depends which part you're talking about. no browser supports npapi any more, rightly, but to launch the daemon you need startprocess or equivalent that is of course not possible in a sandboxed nacl/ppapi plugin. i don't know what he's talking about with beta chrome though. if you use chrome it's entirely webrtc now which is of course way easier.

anyways, whoever was mad that you needed g+ to use hangouts on ios i fixed that for you go get the latest version. :siren: i guess that means g+ is dead rite cremnob???

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
oh i know what he's talking about. things that we could do in the standalone app that we can't do with pure webrtc do use a nacl plugin that itself probably uses new features in beta chrome. but that poo poo's just for moustaches and screensharing.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Foodback: Can you please not break the chocolate into such tiny pieces?

This has started to happen recently in the MKs. Can we please not do that? The pieces are usually really really small and this kind of kills the joy of eating chocolate.

:shepface:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
the new campus up here in kirkland wa is on an ex superfund site too. paint factory iirc. they just dug all the earth out and carted it somewhere :effort:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
someone got fired for leaking the private justin bieber concert. im sure that was embarrassing on a couple of levels

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
nope ive convinced 4 people to apply to google in the last 10 days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

• Locked thread