Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i use google+ partially because nobody else does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i'd probably have, like, all of the followers if i posted publicaly

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

but i don't because lol gently caress that noise ~continues screaming into the void~

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

hey

hey google

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Mr Dog posted:

tbf i think they did genuinely try to follow the spirit of it for the first few years

then they progressively realised that they were, you know, an advertising company, and hence the fount of all the bile and garbage in this world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVVTZgwYwVo

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i guess the "let it go" joke works better if you now that she was originally supposed to be the villain

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

rotor posted:

yosplus is cool. it seems like g+ is a nice place to make little private communities, but maybe not so great to just be all posting stuff in public.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

my stepdads beer posted:

i like yosplus but i don't want to post with my irl name

mutually assured destruction. nobody has hosed with anybody else irl because the moment you do everybody will turn on and destroy you

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

they are

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

lol, the first comment on a hackernews post about it is all "well i went and asked some people who work for adsense and they said that it's all wrong so end of story, guys!"

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

quote:

If you are going to sit around and "see what happens" for 3 years, you talk to a lawyer. You gather evidence. Emails, text chats, etc. You audio record meetings and conversations with people (subject to lawyer advice). You collect enough information over a long enough period of time so that an investigator can trivially search a dumped archive of email to verify your claims.

But we are supposed to believe someone who offers effectively no evidence from the duration of their claimed tenure, and who pushes it off as "I stayed because I had a family to support, and secondly I wanted to see how far they would go." and identity protection at the level of "such as waiting for the appropriate employee turn around"

So... no Hardy Boys level of investigation was performed, no evidence was gathered, no voices were recorded, no text messages were saved, no emails were forwarded, not a single byte was smuggled out on a flash drive nestled in the poster's pocket. Nothing was done to offer even the slightest bit of recording of anything.

The poster is either the most pathetic excuse for a whistle blower that I've ever heard, or it's a poor-quality April fool's joke that is 28 days too late.

be your own bankcriminal investigator!

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

using google+ is like wandering through the pristine future ruins of a city built by madmen

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i give microsoft a 50/50 change of outliving google

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Smythe posted:

how can i get google to sponsor my tiny arts organization so i can get hooked up with some sweet chrome books

i don't know, but i know a guy who might know. i'll see if i can get a lead

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

uncurable mlady posted:

i'd rather work at ms

woah, okay, let's not say or do anything we can't take back

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

pain in the rear end when searching for specific text that contains typos and all that, i telly ou what

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

gary bacon raped and murdered a girl in 1990

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

exant posted:

I agree its good to teach people how to use a calendar or w/e but at some point we as a society should accept that computers can do more than real world objects can and we should break those bonds

developing a new metaphorical framework for things that have no analog equivalent is kind of difficult for a society of meat machines

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

sometimes when you scroll to the top the page will snap back down a little ways

sometimes when you scroll to the top it works as intended

sometimes when you scroll to the top all of the loaded content disappears and must be reloaded onscroll

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

al jazeera posted:

Email exchanges between National Security Agency Director Gen. Keith Alexander and Google executives Sergey Brin and Eric Schmidt suggest a far cozier working relationship between some tech firms and the U.S. government than was implied by Silicon Valley brass after last year’s revelations about NSA spying…

A Google representative declined to answer specific questions about Brin’s and Schmidt’s relationship with Alexander or about Google’s work with the government.

“We work really hard to protect our users from cyberattacks, and we always talk to experts — including in the U.S. government — so we stay ahead of the game,” the representative said in a statement to Al Jazeera. “It’s why Sergey attended this NSA conference.”

Brin responded to [National Security Agency Director Gen.] Alexander the following day even though the head of the NSA didn’t use the appropriate email address when contacting the co-chairman.

“Hi Keith, looking forward to seeing you next week. FYI, my best email address to use is [redacted],” Brin wrote. “The one your email went to — sergey.brin@google.com — I don’t really check.”

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Install Windows posted:

only spergs care about windows skus because a normal just sees a home one and a business/professional one

lol, no.

some places may have limited how many skus were sold, but during the vista era and into 7 the official ms merchandising strategy was loving bonkers

there was literally an AIDS edition of vista

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Miley Virus posted:

took me way too long to realise that wasn't actually made by google

yeah, they already have all the hugboxes they need

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

this maps very well to the behavior of google employees with which i've had to work in professional settings

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Install Windows posted:

cremnob how does it feel to know apple will revert to 1996 levels of relevancy by 2016

150 billion earth dollars

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

flakeloaf posted:

it's almost like people who develop software shouldn't be the people who make UIs

i have a friend who ui work and it's always a battle to get people to actually fix poo poo regardless of how much data and a/b testing she throws at them because the software guys are always "well why don't we try this new thing‽"

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

steals focus when it appears

this literally enrages me when anything does it ever

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Install Windows posted:

why would they kill it theres no way that $1500 pricetag is even close to losing money on the trash they sell to idiots.

it'd be like apple not selling imacs

there's no possible way that the cost of the parts exceeds $300.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

the only thing that might drive up the cost would be the lens setup (of which i know nothing) otherwise everything is literally just commodity phone parts in a plastic shell

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

was just thinking again about how similar all of this is to how the segway went down

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

god, the loving explorer program and the way they encourage people who buy the thing to act as brand ambassadors

tricking assholes into paying them $1500 in order to evangelize/advertize the product and brand

duTrieux. fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 14, 2014

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

within a year we'll probably see google fund some film where google glass is an integral part of the plot, almost a character

like, maybe a paranormal murder mystery where the investigator finds the victim's Google Glass™

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

i look forward to google glass integrated segway tours

aaaaaaaaahhhh no jesus save me

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

the plot could be that the murder footage is saved on it but the investigator has to keep recharging it to watch the whole thing.

hmm, that's good but it needs more ghost

the murder footage is saved on it and it's also haunted and when the battery runs out the ghost will disappear

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

~rolls on floor, dying~

~is dead~

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Necc0 posted:

it's mostly because the vast majority of their work needs to be creative so hierarchical models will only slow them down / harm that process. the only real 'legacy' stuff they need to support is steam. all their games, once published, can pretty much be ignored as they move onto the next thing.

that's not the same for google. sure they have some departments that need tons of license in order to foster creativity but they spread that mantra to the whole company. being able to do w/e you want does not work for most companies. but google is a unique snowflake and they want to believe that they're the exception

even creative work needs some structure, and google is bad even at that

their management strategy seems to be tuned to encourage the occasional autist-savant over literally everything else

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

oh hey it turns out that google glass is poo poo if you actually try to use it in the real world

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/print/9248434/Why_I_m_sending_back_Google_Glass?taxonomyId=128&pageNumber=1

lol at the proprietary earbud that uses the charging port, which means you can't listen to anything and charge at the same time which lol because the battery is terrible and pumps heat into the side of your face which just lol man, lol.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Smythe posted:

the future is going to be hosed up and own

http://m.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/05/19/chilean-artist-steals-and-destroys-500-million-worth-of-student-debt-papers/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jiQ1QpNSkA

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

on a completely unrelated note, is there a way to reliably generate an emp that will shut down local electronics but doesn't involve explosions and shaped charges and poo poo

i'm asking for a friend

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Stereotype posted:

you can block radio communications pretty easily with a noise generator, an amplifier, and an antenna, but damaging them is much much more difficult. Most electronics have current limiters on their front end receiver amps so you'd have a tough time damaging those, and getting a high enough electric field at any reasonable distance from you to cause an inductive current spike on a PCB would be pretty much impossible.

sorry

look, i don't care if it's impossible. i want either this or a device which projects a field of silence in a bubble around itself

~orders a half dozen supercaps and one of this belt clip static discharge thingies~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

~dies~

• Locked thread