Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

cremnob posted:

lmao google+ is a failure and heads are rolling

https://www.secret.ly/p/wxdnkdhjnsocjxwnizhdpacufc

good

gently caress google+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
forcing your social network down the throats of people that signed up for your other services? yeah excellent idea. people won't resent your service at all

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Pinterest Mom posted:

google claims 300 million maus in the google+ stream and i just kind of refuse to believe it

that probably includes youtube commenters. synergy!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i wouldnt doubt that being true

lol if you seriously thought google was some kind of altruistic group of do-gooder autists

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
ww.w.hacker.news/google-clown-sense

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

cremnob posted:

anything that cuts off google at the knees in their attempt to remain relevant in the post-pc world is a good thing. and facebook is excelling at it

facebook is just as bad as google and will probably die quicker

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

it's cool we'll all be living in water world by then

i am bored and full of cider right now and will answer the first 3 questions about working for google

how do you live with yourself

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Install Windows posted:

lol that you think google will ever die when not even aol has died

aol is a shell of what it once was, probably like google will be

and it isn't even the same company it was (it was spun off of time warner, not the other way around)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

this is really stupid

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

i work on a great product that millions of people use.

how are you going to feel when that "great" product is unceremoniously discontinued for essentially no good reason

ps i had the stella artois cider last night its actually pretty decent

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

yeah. even if apple is working on a search product it will probably be about as popular as ping was. google is too entrenched in search

apple should let users do actual phone calls over facetime audio though, that would own

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

qirex posted:

I've heard it's good but laffo at them trying to sell it for $7 I can get cider made by actual hipsters for that much

i had two over at a friend's house but didnt know it was $7 a bottle lmao its not worth it then. it was good but not $7 good

Install Windows posted:

apple search would at most be a bing rebrand like current yahoo

at first i was going to say theres no way apple would partner with anyone for something like search but them i remembered apple maps are basically tomtom maps (and some other providers maybe?) so i guess its possible

i still dont see it happening though. they'll probably just replace google with bing or yahoo as the default provider

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Install Windows posted:

why would apple partner with anyone else for search? well, they've been partnering with google for a good decade by now.

yeah that apple rebrand of google search is really great and cool

you knew what i meant fishmech

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

should have binged it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
Google Cornpops are bad :synpa:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Pinterest Mom posted:

google is deprecating the URL in chrome. :rip:

chrum is a bad browser

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Sagebrush posted:

wanna see my favorite implementation of infinite scrolling?

go here

http://www.thingiverse.com/search/page:1?q=box&sa=

scroll down to the "end" and wait for it to load new items. do this three or four times

ok now try to get to the top of the page

works for me try using a non-poo poo browser or os

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

The most complete version of Windows*

*if you already have windows installed

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

rjmccall posted:

professional casters covering professional tournaments hits the sports action drama buttons pretty effectively for me. the experience is different from the real sports i watch, but then again, those real sports feel different from each other, too. i'd say the biggest factor is probably just not having arbitrarily-assigned team allegiances.

professional casting is still amateurish, but productions are noticeably improving. there's still something of a divide between commentators who have any talent at broadcasting and commentators who know what they're talking about, but welcome to professional sports broadcasting, gently caress joe buck and it's a beautiful day here in wiskokie at the 3M sports pavilion brought to you by 3M. i don't know if any casters are actually making a living, though.

i don't know why people would tune in to watch random idiots streaming except extreme loneliness

oh. i dont watch sports because its horrifyingly boring unless you're completely wasted

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

cremnob posted:

Google’s Eye Doctor Admits Glass Can Cause Pain
The headset makes your eye do things it was never meant to do, optometrist says.

http://betabeat.com/2014/05/googles-eye-doctor-admits-glass-can-cause-pain/

lmao

but look i can view my lovely android notifications in my face!! *eye falls out of head*

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
google is buying twitch because its what google glass makes your eyeballs do

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Smythe posted:

ill be honest - i didnt expect a big reaction to that post. is this behavior anomalous? I do the same with baseball and american football, tennis. just love me some games. games on the grass. games on the court. games on the computer. just give me some hard core gaming and im down - and drat - if twitch doesnt deliver!

oh hard core gaming, i thought you said "gaining".

which, to be fair, is what most pro gamers are doing anyway

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Smythe posted:

Most Pro Gamers are forced by the sponsor overlords to max out their gains and get cut or swole depending on their nation of origin. e.g. Koreans like their men lean and cut but Russians like their men hulked out and huge. Some little insights I've picked up throughout my fandom.

oh i was talking about the doritos and mountain dews mostly

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Smythe posted:

Huge and Buff, personally. I would ;like to become extremely buff - but im having trouble mustering the gains. I'll keep working on it though.

try doritos and mountain dew

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

duTrieux. posted:

oh hey it turns out that google glass is poo poo if you actually try to use it in the real world

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/print/9248434/Why_I_m_sending_back_Google_Glass?taxonomyId=128&pageNumber=1

lol at the proprietary earbud that uses the charging port, which means you can't listen to anything and charge at the same time which lol because the battery is terrible and pumps heat into the side of your face which just lol man, lol.

quote:

It's called glassing out. Your eyes roll over to the right to look at the screen, and the rest of the world goes out of focus. People can't make eye contact with you, and if they're versed in popular psychology, they read things into your lack of eye contact.

maybe its because youre using your stupid eyeglasses smartphone instead of actually paying attention to them??

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

lmao holy poo poo google

goofle

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i have a feeling anyone riding in that would die horribly if they went over a pothole

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

btw the best feature of the ios version is free pstn phone calling without using cellular

what i didnt know it could do that

does it call from your google voice number or is it just some random goog CA number because i might actually install your crap app if its gv

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
actually wait i would have to set up a google+ account right? gently caress that then

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

hobbesmaster posted:

it's google, they'd buy it and then shut it down for no discernible reason

it competes with youtube so they would definitely stamp it out and then fire all the people that used to work for spotify, rape their families and then kill their parents (and pee on the corpses)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

cremnob posted:

and chances are tax reform in the US will happen

lmao

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

cremnob posted:

gonna jizz forever when the house of cards falls apart and google is finally destroyed

bet you they would get a "too big to fail" bailout, assuming a huge quick implosion and not a slow drawn out death (like ms)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

uncurable mlady posted:

Google has the Apple and msft problem of being too big to actually fail, but in a structural way. long before poo poo got really bad the adults would come in, fire half the workforce, and focus on core competencies like search and Adwords and related techs.

except thats exactly what larry page did (minus the firings), and now we just get microsoft 2.0 with idiot shitfucker projects and personal management fiefdoms

plus gentrification and class warfare, etc

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Wheany posted:

i will start using google+ for sure now

just a reminder about gooble+

quote:

If you have a Google Account, we may display your Profile name, Profile photo, and actions you take on Google or on third-party applications connected to your Google Account (such as +1’s, reviews you write and comments you post) in our Services, including displaying in ads and other commercial contexts. We will respect the choices you make to limit sharing or visibility settings in your Google Account. For example, you can choose your settings so your name and photo do not appear in an ad.

obviously youre a loving moron if you click like buttons or +1 something anyway but +1 or rating something on google play seems particularly heinous because of this

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
also still pissed i'll lose activesync once i get a new phone. gently caress google

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Wheany posted:

in six months google will announce "only 0.72% of our users user a pseudonym instead of their real name" and they will conclude that "everyone actually wants to use their real name" instead of "nobody actually uses google+". also i have been posting "heil hilter 14/88" to every youtube video i have watched for the last 2 years under my real name, who the gently caress cares if i start using a pseudonym at this point.

back when they first integrated google+ with youtube they had a popup that notified you of the change and no matter what you clicked on (the options were like "ok, great!" and "ok, great! i'll set up a google+ account later" and it popped up on every drat page) it set up a google+ account for you. since it set up a google+ account for me and the link on their support site to delete your google+ profile page or whatever was loving broken i changed my name on my google account to "gently caress Google" and got a bunch of emails from old contacts that probably had me on google talk or whatever saying "CHANGE YOUR NAME BACK ITS OFFENSIVE AND AGAINST GOOGLE'S TOS"

luckily like a loving week later they fixed the link to remove all of your google+ bullshit

tl;dr: gently caress Google

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

rotor posted:

on one hand this thread is seriously god-awful

on the other hand, it keeps cremnob occupied

on the other other hand, google is seriously pretty bad now

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

rotor posted:

everything is pretty bad now

elon musk was on the colbert report last night and it made me think the future might not be so terrible but then i remembered everything else is poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

The Management posted:

just drive a rich person car and you won't get pulled over

lol i just saw a bentley pulled over a few minutes ago

• Locked thread