Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
why the gently caress would you name your product/service/anything "buttercoin"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
with the black background it looks like the one on the left is poking the right one's eyes out

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

St Evan Echoes posted:

countdown until all ad blocking extensions marked malicious

they'll definitely make up some excuse about them modifying page content

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
the only site i noscript is arse technical because of their goddamn top banner thing that scrolls with the content and automatically resizes itself at some arbitrary point on the page

it sucks because videos dont get displayed and inline pictures (benchmark results etc) open in a new tab

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Blue Train posted:

couldn't you just block that with an adblock rule

not on an ipad. i use glimmerblocker to do it

plus adblocking it would gently caress up the design even more i guess

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
theres some things you cant really block though. iirc verizon was using a http header to track mobile data users somehow

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Nintendo Kid posted:

mobile data users go through heavy natting when on ipv4, and in the routing used there's plenty of room to add additional headers.

no i know that, i mean "track somehow" as in i'm not sure how they were able to do it. i'm guessing every page/app they wanted to track would need some js/framework from the ad company

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Snapchat A Titty posted:

someone tell me how to block youtube ads in safari

that is literally the only problem i have and gently caress you i am not going to change browsers, that is way too much effort

give me a link and nothing more

glimmerblocker.org

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
psssh hahaha thats not a link. made you copy/paste

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Valeyard posted:

when i sign into any chrome browser on any machine, it remembers the plguins i have installed and automatically downloads and runs adblock

why are you so afraid of ads?

its not the ads you should be afraid of, its the company that tracks, analyzes and compiles massive databases of information about literally everything. they even know about your secret preference for bbw hentai

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
youtube is straight up horrible

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Valeyard posted:

yeah but that posters retort is "google is an advertising company lmfao, not a tech company!! :smug:" and nothing to do with that

they use that information for advertising. hth

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Valeyard posted:

yeah but whats the alternative? they are tracking you whether you are signed in or not

be like RMS? maybe, but no thanks

a big problem is that there aren't many viable free ones for most google services (which got people used to expecting those services for free). i was responding to "why be afraid of ads?" with "its google in general you should be afraid of"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

mishaq posted:

doing straight OTT VoIP on cellular data connections would be retarded because the cellular network would just treat the call like any other packet data, low priority and make no effort to preserve the state between handoffs, since packet data can tolerate delays

but knowing google who knows

that sure sounds like a googley idea + experience to me

i wouldnt be surprised if they routed it all through google voice hangeouts

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
t-mobile is fine here until you go indoors (i use the free data plan on my ipad), at&t and verizon have no problems as expected and when my brother visits his sprint service is godawful (and lol doesn't roam onto verizon since he uses some lovely mvno)

i am maybe 20 minutes away at most from a major metro area

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Valeyard posted:

when i ride the poor bus my 4g reception is at full strength in the particuarly lovely rundown parts of the city

and there is this one place that without fail completely kills ANY phone signal, surounding a highschool, its weird

some schools here used to jam cell signals before it was strictly illegal, maybe thats why

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

lol

google maps is seriously one of the worst offenders with this poo poo, its impossible to quickly change settings in that pos

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Shifty Pony posted:

the app is bad enough but the web page is practically lovely ui performance art.

which is sad because it used to actually be functional enough

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

The Management posted:

everything google gets shitted up with features and rearrangement until it becomes terrible. it feels like there's no one there to tell the engineers when to stop

there was, but they "mysteriously" drowned in the ball pit

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Snapchat A Titty posted:

GOOGLE!!!!

im logged into youtube and i can click add to favorites under a video and itll select my pseudonymous acct but when i then try to go to "my account" it sends me to my real name account which has no favorites. its impossible to select the one with the favorites

why must it be so hard

so that you're forced to use your real name to call people "kike friend of the family faggots" in comments

and also to tie your usage statistics to your actual identity. 2 birds one cup

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
instead of giving your patents to a patent holding company, just give them to us

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/04/27/google-to-disarm-trolls-by-buying-patents-before-they-become-weapons/

we'll hold them for you :shepface:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
we totally wont use them against anyone. pinky swear

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
And I and plenty of others here assure you it isn't working... here are the facts to prove that...
Here are the simple FACTS about this problem...

1: It has nothing to do with "Outdated Browers", that is a FACT already established by the simple FACT it occurs on the latest Browsers as well as the old ones...

2: As has been proven by others here and myself "Google Functions" are working perfectly on FireFox and for other browsers if you switch your "User Agent" to "FireFox"... FACT

3: This problem is specific to Google themselves after the events of the past 48 hours when their image search was hacked... FACT

4: Coincidentally Google themselves that very same day had changed their search function to comply with new EU privacy laws... FACT
http://www.thepncvoice.com/authorship-will-shown-google/34825

All the above FACTS points the problem to being either the Hack itself has caused more damage than Google are willing to admit to, or the "fix" they put in place to stop the hack has resulted in the breaking of all Google search functions for all browsers except FireFox.

There is also the possibility that this combined with the new search functions Google has had to implement has contributed or is the cause of the problems...

The simple overall fact is... It's got nothing to do with our browsers it's down to whatever has happened at Googles end and whether it was the hack , the changes they had to make to the search functions or a combination of both and they are obviously struggling to fix it...

The answer Google is looking for of course lies in the FACT that the FIREFOX USER AGENT WORKS, so looking there at what that User Agent does than none of the others do will in fact show Google what they need to change to fix this problem out...

Updating all other browsers other than FireFox does not solve this problem as has been proven by plenty of folk, so asking people what browsers or OS they use is pointless and will not help solve this. Google have obviously changed something in their code/ system in the past 48 hours and it is this change/ fix that has broken the system... :-/

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

LastInLine posted:

lol i had to google a weird phrase from that to figure out from whence it came and that whole thread is hilarious

googles in the right here because lol @ ppl still using safari 5 and opera 12

Please have a good read of the posts here & don't dismiss the angry/vulgar comments left by many- there is no quick fix other than to upgrade your OS. This is an Apple scam, they have clearly paid Google handsomely to get people upgrading to Maverick or nearby.

Up to you, but just to suggest you don't comply & join the peoples revolution- cope with it, find another browser, but don't upgrade your Mac until you are ready & feel it a decision made by you for the right reasons, not just to have access to what you had before- its no less than bullying, almost blackmail, & it shouldn't be allowed.

Good luck :)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
lol i love when people dont know what they're talking about so whatever the issue is quickly devolves into ~CONSPIRACY~

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

info provided by CopyKit

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

i don't want to sign in to my goddamn browser

with windows 10 you can just sign into your os!! dont worry about it just do it nothing bad could possibly happen

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i haven't tried gmvault but apparently you can have google archive your gmail account and you just download a tarball or something

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

atomicthumbs posted:

google emitted a response to the deleted accounts thing

apparently accounts that had been disabled for suspicious activity for 18 months got deleted and they accidentally forgot to check if the recovery process actually worked, or if the accounts were actually disabled for 18 months

lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

vodkat posted:

looooololloololol

audience reaction: "...."

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Endless Mike posted:

the sad part is the lower-case g still has a serif

lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Pinterest Mom posted:

what does this mean

does it mean anything

apparently a weird mash-up of the font used on the wii/u and futura and weird g-serif is more readable than just plain old catull

GoooJle

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Wheany posted:

they're trying to say that sans serif is more legible on small screens, i think

they are, but they're wrong. serifs generally help you identify letters better at long distances/small sizes, but most people think san-serif typefaces look better

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Nintendo Kid posted:

ie 6 was great for a long rear end time. what else were you going to use, crashes-every-hour 0.01 builds of mozilla? netscape 4 from the 90s? opera when you had to pay for it or accept ads in the browser, and it couldn't handle most web standards?

or loving konquerer?

qft there really was no alternative for like at least 3 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

The Management posted:

they look less crowded, which is important on your small screen. btw, this is Google announcing their "mobile first" pivot.

you're talking about a logo that literally looks like it says GoooJle

• Locked thread