Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

movement and most directional casting/shooting/attacking feels very good, but inventory management has to be done like with a mouse via the analog sticks so that's gonna be slower and it's possible some of the more esoteric skills (summoning/teleport) haven't been tested yet

Can you use both controller and mouse? Like, out leveling and killing stuff I'm using controller, but I can then pick up items with my mouse. When I port back to town, I use mouse, then port back and resume using controller? It is seamless or do I need to go into a menu to toggle which I am using?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Sand Monster posted:

Can you use both controller and mouse? Like, out leveling and killing stuff I'm using controller, but I can then pick up items with my mouse. When I port back to town, I use mouse, then port back and resume using controller? It is seamless or do I need to go into a menu to toggle which I am using?

you can hot swap between controller and KVM, no menu change required

when I tried it there was a very obvious 2-3 second hitch whenever the game changed-over to the over control scheme, but that shouldn't be more than an annoyance if you're only using the mouse for inventory management in town and there's no time pressure

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Cool video making a compelling case for starting with an Assassin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThRt_BGEYcI

I did practice runs with both that and sorc and enjoyed sorc more, but I definitely see the appeal.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Trapsins are quite good but I find them boring/frustrating to play with an active group and not as easy to just chill out and solo farm with compared to any sorc flavor or even a hammerdin.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The new Diablo II: Resurrected thread is up and running.

I'll keep this thread open for now, but I would like to close it. I do encourage anyone that wants to start a thread for legacy Diablo II and mods if that's your scene.

NoMas
Oct 2, 2013

Man Moth!?
e: moved

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Is anyone able to play on Xbox right now? I can't make a game or join one.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I am excited to play this game tonight :)

What are the best websites/resources for builds and gear drops?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

edit: wrong thread

Flavahbeast fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 26, 2021

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I am excited to play this game tonight :)

What are the best websites/resources for builds and gear drops?

I dont know the url, but search for maxroll. Its been a great resource for me

Khorne
May 1, 2002
D2DX is awesome. Even compared to D2R it's pretty good! It can run d2 at 240hz with no motion blur from movement or anything. Neat-o. It also works correctly at all resolutions as long as you keep the window border.

It uses motion interpolation to achieve animations at above the ~24fps default rate. I don't know how I didn't know about this project before. I think project d2 used it but I had things configured wrong & wasn't aware it was actually pretty cool.

SlashD resets on Nov 5th. If anyone plans on playing let me know.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 21, 2021

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

are there any issues with using the b.net version of D2 classic with mods like PlugY or D2DX? Figured I would check first before I bork some nice characters I made over the past couple months

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Originally asked in the Steam thread, but asking here since I figure I'll get a better response:

I just found out that Diablo 2 (og) has some really well regarded mods, Median XL and Path of Diablo. Will either of them fulfill my "constant drip feed of power" fantasy, the way Chronicon does with its abundance of items and easy respecs?

Normally for mods I'd actually just try them out straight but I don't own Diablo 2 currently so thought I'd ask here.

Planning to play solo and mostly blind, if that makes a difference. Don't think I'll be ramping it up to Hell or whatever top difficulty there is, just want to take skills that sound cool and get to work wreckin'

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006
MXL has free respecs up to level 50 and there's a pretty steady stream of new content as you level up, but I think some of it could be pretty difficult to do blind once you get to ~110-115 (probably some of it before then even). Also I think you have to look at their site to figure out when you can do some stuff, and even then figuring out where some of those are isn't very well spelled out on their site.

It's pretty neat but figuring out mechanics on your own in anything related to D2 is tough because the game isn't particularly good at giving you info on its own and modders kind of suck at it too. Sure, telling me my attack speed is great but it doesn't help if the in game character sheet doesn't tell me breakpoints and that I'm not getting anything out of the last 20% increased attack speed.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Path of Diablo is most fun in an online context imo, it's got a really delightful community in my experience. Single player would probably be meh, I reckon Median XL has a lot more interesting changes to explore.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
median xl has a really good power scaling and the crafting system is really good, too

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Artelier posted:

Originally asked in the Steam thread, but asking here since I figure I'll get a better response:

I just found out that Diablo 2 (og) has some really well regarded mods, Median XL and Path of Diablo. Will either of them fulfill my "constant drip feed of power" fantasy, the way Chronicon does with its abundance of items and easy respecs?

Normally for mods I'd actually just try them out straight but I don't own Diablo 2 currently so thought I'd ask here.

Planning to play solo and mostly blind, if that makes a difference. Don't think I'll be ramping it up to Hell or whatever top difficulty there is, just want to take skills that sound cool and get to work wreckin'
If you do okay MXL the game is pretty straightforward just make use of the cube recipes as it absolutely assumes you will be and youll blast thru to the end of nightmare. Also grab a merc as they are improved in MXL. I will also note there is a level gated challenge that you can still complete after level 50 but requires resources as a penalty.

pyromance posted:

MXL has free respecs up to level 50 and there's a pretty steady stream of new content as you level up, but I think some of it could be pretty difficult to do blind once you get to ~110-115 (probably some of it before then even).

Afaik its now the 3 den of evil quests plus the "belladonna potion" which is a rare drop but not too rare and farmable with a character far enough.

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006

Cerepol posted:

If you do okay MXL the game is pretty straightforward just make use of the cube recipes as it absolutely assumes you will be and youll blast thru to the end of nightmare. Also grab a merc as they are improved in MXL. I will also note there is a level gated challenge that you can still complete after level 50 but requires resources as a penalty.

Afaik its now the 3 den of evil quests plus the "belladonna potion" which is a rare drop but not too rare and farmable with a character far enough.

You still do it at Akara but it doesn't consume the quest reward respec until you're post-50.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
I've been playing with Hardcore characters, and it is so hard to find games. There are typically 3-8 games open to join, and most of the time if they are 20+ levels off. :(

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I've been playing with Hardcore characters, and it is so hard to find games. There are typically 3-8 games open to join, and most of the time if they are 20+ levels off. :(

Same story here, but I found a Discord server for D2R Switch players and have had an easier time forming groups from there. It's a shame they messed up multiplayer matchmaking on console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord
Edit: oops. Sorry for bumping the retro thread. Meant to post in the D2R thread.