Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Diablo II and Lord of Destruction will run you $40 if you buy them digitally from Blizzard. The battle chest comes with Diablo 1 and runs the same price. You should be able to find it still at places like Walmart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Star Man posted:

Diablo II and Lord of Destruction will run you $40 if you buy them digitally from Blizzard. The battle chest comes with Diablo 1 and runs the same price. You should be able to find it still at places like Walmart.

Pretty much this. Call/check online at local Walmarts, GameStop and Target. I just checked myself and there's five stores within 20 miles that have copies.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

borf posted:

If you can still find the Battlechest, it has the original Diablo along with d2 and lod.

Although it won't have the Hellfire expansion, sadly.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

THE BAR posted:

Although it won't have the Hellfire expansion, sadly.

Golly gee, I wonder why.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Star Man posted:

Golly gee, I wonder why.

People might wonder where it went!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

THE BAR posted:

People might wonder where it went!

In the loving trash.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Star Man posted:

In the loving trash.

Sourpuss, the new tilesets weren't half bad.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

gently caress the haters. Let's play some Diablo 1 with the Hellfire expansion and a fanmade 1.02a4 patch. It easily adds the hidden barbarian and bard class, expanding on the monk which is already there. Includes the hidden quests, one being a funny cow quest. Holy poo poo there is jogging in town. What the gently caress?! You don't even have to do the Hellfire dungeon/quests if you don't want to but you still get the perks like oils. Precious oils!

Has a host of bug fixes but is not meant to really impact the base experience too much because that's how I like it. :colbert:

http://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/printthread.php?tid=15760 - for the patch for 1.0 hellfire

http://www.segabandonware.com/diablo_hellfire.html - hellfire abandoneware only requiring itself to run

http://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/thread-15743.html - graphics fix for bard/barb and anyone who uses arrows and other poo poo

mutliplayer works over hamachi

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I have been trying to get Diablo 1 to work without hosed up colors in Windows 7 all night to no avail. It runs fine, just the graphics are distorted.

I've tried every fix and hack I've found short of installing Windows XP on a virtual box and running it there, including messing with every compatibility setting, messing with my background and resolution, and closing explorer.exe out which is about the dumbest goddamn thing ever. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Chucullinn
Dec 9, 2008
If you guys want to play Diablo 1 again, you should really look at the beelzebub mod for it.

http://mod.diablo1.eu.org/

Adds so much more items, including tonnes of sets, new classes, new abilities and new classes like the necromancer.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Reene posted:

I have been trying to get Diablo 1 to work without hosed up colors in Windows 7 all night to no avail. It runs fine, just the graphics are distorted.

I've tried every fix and hack I've found short of installing Windows XP on a virtual box and running it there, including messing with every compatibility setting, messing with my background and resolution, and closing explorer.exe out which is about the dumbest goddamn thing ever. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Uh somewhere in the fan patch I linked is a color correction registry fixer. Worked perfectly as I had rainbow colors.

Beezle looked fun and I might try it after doing my vanilla+ run through.

Reene add me to steam if you like, as Kazvall.

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 21, 2014

Khorne
May 1, 2002
There's also The Hell mod for Diablo1. It's pretty good and still actively updated.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Found the color fix!

http://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/attachment.php?aid=209

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Yeah none of these fixes work for me.

I guess no Diablo for me until I can be assed to set up a virtual box.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The ladder for Diablo II is resetting on November 25th.

The response on Twitter has been people whining about whatever issues WoW is having.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Looks like I might have to d2 HC once again. Which class to play this time...

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Add me on steam as Kazvall if you want to d2 hardcore. A lot of the dupes and exploits have been fixed and I haven't run into a single bot somehow.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Are there any good resources around for running an Eastern Sun server? I know we had a goon run one that was pretty successful. My buddy was thinking of running one but said seemed like a huge pain.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Potential BFF posted:

Are there any good resources around for running an Eastern Sun server? I know we had a goon run one that was pretty successful. My buddy was thinking of running one but said seemed like a huge pain.

I've never actually played Eastern Sun. I would definitely be interested in trying if you guys get something up.

aioli is just mayo
Aug 14, 2003

He has only forbidden to you dead animals, blood, the flesh of swine, and that which has been dedicated to other than Allah . But whoever is forced by necessity, neither desiring it nor transgressing its limit, there is no sin upon him. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful
I was feeling like playing Eastern Sun yesterday and I searched the forums and it seems the ES thread got archived, RIP :(

Is there some way to play ES singleplayer with the goon modifications, as sad as that is?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Whenever I play Diablo 2 I always play as a necromancer who summons an army of skeletons/mages/golems then runs around letting the skellies do all the work.

Then I hit a boss and the skellies all die instantly and I uninstall the game out of frustration.

The only time I beat the game I used a trainer to give me retarded levels of skeleton mastery.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Which is weird considering that necromancers can go from normal to hell solo.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

khy posted:

Whenever I play Diablo 2 I always play as a necromancer who summons an army of skeletons/mages/golems then runs around letting the skellies do all the work.

Then I hit a boss and the skellies all die instantly and I uninstall the game out of frustration.

The only time I beat the game I used a trainer to give me retarded levels of skeleton mastery.

If I remember correctly (I probably don't, it has been a very long time), the strategy for necros was to NOT focus too much on skeletons until later.

Slum Loser
May 6, 2011
if you're gonna do a summoner make sure to use clay golem, decrep with a kelpie snare on your merc for every boss... its hard to progress really far without systematic mechanics abuses

once you get arm of king leoric and a good unique head skellies get decent, but they'll always be fodder once you hit a champ pack in late NM or Hell i find necro kinda boring though it always works out better than a throwing barb...

found my second gheed's ever within 10 meph/pindle/baal hyper runs but I think after 16 years I'm starting to doubt my commitment to this game and the odds of me ever completing a high level set

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

enraged_camel posted:

If I remember correctly (I probably don't, it has been a very long time), the strategy for necros was to NOT focus too much on skeletons until later.

MyNameIsKaz did a pretty cool D2 run focusing mostly on skeletons in the LP forum. He actually focused completely on summons and didn't use any curses or offensive spells as well. It's doable, if not optimal.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

khy posted:

Necro is like the strongest solo class in the game.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Potential BFF posted:

This was eons ago but I'm getting that itch again so I'd say your best bet would be to bug Garfu for the files from the last ES server we had. It has that lovely goon mod with the grossly overpowered elite ethereal items but at least it shouldn't be a huge pain to set up.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 3, 2015

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

TwistedNails posted:

Necro is like the strongest solo class in the game.

*if you go magic spear build

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

Started some D2 hardcore up over the weekend, last time I played was before D3 was released. Got to lvl 56 on my light sorc and ripped to Stygian doll corpse explosions in the durance of hate. I had been kiting away from their death animation with teleport but a group of them exploding caught me and my corpse was on the ground a screen away from theirs after the TP. New char tonight, might try single player so I can turn on players 8 and make it go a bit faster. Just got insight and spirit cooking too...

Goo P-Nut Sack fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 4, 2015

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Goo P-Nut Sack posted:

Started some D2 hardcore up over the weekend, last time I played was before D3 was released. Got to lvl 56 on my light sorc and ripped to Stygian doll corpse explosions in the durance of hate. I had been kiting away from their death animation with teleport but a group of them exploding caught me and my corpse was on the ground a screen away from theirs after the TP. New char tonight, might try single player so I can turn on players 8 and make it go a bit faster. Just got insight and spirit cooking too...

You're fighting the good fight. Was there a new ladder recently?

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

Kazvall posted:

You're fighting the good fight. Was there a new ladder recently?

I'm not really sure when the ladder reset last happened! Got my sorc back up to 24 today, starting with fire this time and the leaf runeword makes it a breeze early. Gonna try a mass vit/energy build, this is pretty fun since most the builds out there are glass cannon and meant for SC.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Energy Shield is a really strong talent for survivability if you are doing Hardcore. The trick to making ES work is you have to max out both ES and Telekinesis (TK is a synergy, not sure if its listed though) and stacking flat physical/magic damage reduction on gear. Iirc, resistances don't matter that much for ES since the damage you take to your mana is before factoring resistances, although its still good to have it. For offense, you could focus on Lightning since you are already going to invest 40 points in the lightning tree for ES/TK, or Frozen Orb since you only need to invest 40 points in offense (FO/Cold Mastery). There is also a relatively easy-to-make runeword that buffs ES you can use on your swap for buffing, I think its called Memory.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The Telekinesis synergy only reduces the mana you lose from the shield, so it's not totally necessary if you have other means of dealing with your mana issues, but it's still pretty helpful and Telekinesis isn't completely worthless on its own.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Using telekinesis to get into your stash or town portals from a distance was the coolest thing ever. No, this has nothing to do with an energy shield build, which is also I build I never ever tried to do.

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

Thanks for the ES

soscannonballs posted:

Energy Shield is a really strong talent for survivability if you are doing Hardcore. The trick to making ES work is you have to max out both ES and Telekinesis (TK is a synergy, not sure if its listed though) and stacking flat physical/magic damage reduction on gear. Iirc, resistances don't matter that much for ES since the damage you take to your mana is before factoring resistances, although its still good to have it. For offense, you could focus on Lightning since you are already going to invest 40 points in the lightning tree for ES/TK, or Frozen Orb since you only need to invest 40 points in offense (FO/Cold Mastery). There is also a relatively easy-to-make runeword that buffs ES you can use on your swap for buffing, I think its called Memory.

Believe it or not I was already ball deep into this build on my new sorc. She's level 40 atm. Telekinesis reduces the mana loss per hp lost by .0625 per skill point, which equates to .75 mana lost per negated hit point at level 20, which is really really good.

I just crafted a lvl15 meditation insight last night and I'm distributing stat points semi-evenly between Dex vit and energy, going for a max shield block eventually. (Apparently Stygian doll explosions can be blocked)

Currently I wager I could tank about 5 or 6 (they deal between ~70-120 damage depending on their health roll) of their explosions and be fine, but I just entered nightmare last night so by the time I'm in a3 again that will be much higher.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

If you can get your hands on a Skin of the Vipermagi its really good for ES builds since it has +1 all, fast cast, and 10 flat magic damage reduction which will reduce any magic/spell damage taken to your life after the damage is dealt to your mana.

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
Sol runes help against the stygian dolls, iirc stacking integer dr was the way to go.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I prefer NOT to use Energy Shield on my hardcore sorcs. It works fantastically 90% of the time. However, the second you get to mana burn monsters, you are hosed. Like, SUPER hosed. You have no Vit to fall back on. :(

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

Kazvall posted:

I prefer NOT to use Energy Shield on my hardcore sorcs. It works fantastically 90% of the time. However, the second you get to mana burn monsters, you are hosed. Like, SUPER hosed. You have no Vit to fall back on. :(

My contingency for this is a near balance of Hp and mana, rather than a blue piece of hard candy with a dot of red jelly inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Goo P-Nut Sack posted:

My contingency for this is a near balance of Hp and mana, rather than a blue piece of hard candy with a dot of red jelly inside.

Sadly no matter what you do some form of Stygian Doll is going to own your rear end in the durance or the last level of worldstone.