Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Anyone planning on playing the reset on the 24th?

I am trying to decide between classic or expansion, softcore or hardcore, probably on USEast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Khorne posted:

I am trying to decide between classic or expansion, softcore or hardcore, probably on USEast.

If you do HC watch out for those tomb vipers who always have that powerful damage glitch that seems more dangerous than anything else in the game except player duels.

Is there any advantage to doing classic? I don't remember any except the disadvantage of having a smaller stash.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
It's shorter and simpler (no runes or charms, for example), but I don't think that counts as an advantage.

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
iirc people would sometimes do classic rushes, since there's less content to go through, but that was a niche thing.

Xenochrist
Sep 11, 2006

Khorne posted:

Yes strongly considering returning with the reset. Diablo 3 sucks balls and I need to scratch the diablo itch. No preference on USWest or East, whichever one has more playing I guess.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Zogo posted:

If you do HC watch out for those tomb vipers who always have that powerful damage glitch that seems more dangerous than anything else in the game except player duels.

Is there any advantage to doing classic? I don't remember any except the disadvantage of having a smaller stash.
It's more of a ladder and less of a bot fest, but I suppose that's not really true because the top characters on classic (not sure about classic hardcore) are usually botted now using stuff like this.

Rushing people on classic is generally faster than rushing on expansion because you don't need a glitcher. You can just take level 1s without requiring a level 40 and then convert to expansion. Classic stuff is usually worth tons more forum gold due to less supply/item selling sites not getting involved.

There's no super overpowered gear and chaos is significantly more enjoyable than baal runs.

With that said, it's also much grindier and there are some other downsides. I just happen to enjoy classic. Both ladders are ghost towns right now so it's hard to say how dead classic is.

I always end up playing both classic+expansion. I'm just not sure what I'll be starting right after reset.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 23, 2015

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So I am playing D2 for the first time.. since my early middle school days. I am trying out an elementalist Druid, currently level 8, should I get anything else besides the fire spells, such as summons or shapeshift?

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Fat_Cow posted:

So I am playing D2 for the first time.. since my early middle school days. I am trying out an elementalist Druid, currently level 8, should I get anything else besides the fire spells, such as summons or shapeshift?

The way I remember it, a single point in the oak sage elemental (not sure I remember the exact name) will give you a pretty good increase in survivability. I don't really know if fire druids have enough points to spare for summons, but if you do have points to spend, personally I'd be more tempted to find a way to do decent damage with wind spells so I can kill fire-immune enemies, which will be common as dirt in hell.

You can figure on getting about 95 points by the time you reach hell Baal, if you want to plan things out.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I'm playing on USEast. I made a dinky little barb that will probably go IK.

If you have any cool mauls or barb poo poo i want it.

E: I also heard there's a maphack that's undetectable. that true? Also is there any info on which channels exist for baal runs?

Dizz fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Nov 28, 2015

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Dizz posted:

I'm playing on USEast. I made a dinky little barb that will probably go IK.

If you have any cool mauls or barb poo poo i want it.

E: I also heard there's a maphack that's undetectable. that true? Also is there any info on which channels exist for baal runs?
Warden is not on and hasn't been on since 2010? So you can even use previously banned maphacks (although they have to have 1.13d pointers/1.12+ structs unless you use version hack). d2 map reveal probably wouldn't even get detected with warden on.

They did change how they server side detect some things with the recent ladder. If you get realm down and make games after you get perm banned. Lots of legit players are getting hit, poorly configured bots are getting hit, most botters/people cheating aren't getting banned. It's actually really lovely.

To avoid realm down just don't join more than 20 games in an hour (per cd key per ip, so if you change yourcdkey or ip before 20 games you won't get realm down) and don't switch between characters rapidly, wait around 30 seconds. Also don't hammer the login or character select. Most other realm downs aren't really possible while playing legitimately. Farcast type stuff is a bit risky (auto teleport too) because there is server side detection but it's difficult and extremely rare to trigger.

edit: edgeofnowhere/blizzhackers has generally safe downloads. ProjectEtal also has safe downloads.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Nov 28, 2015

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
good to know. maybe I will find that D2NT maphack if it still works and also make a dinky sorc for nightmare farming too.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
I'm on uswest as FalloutGod. I can rush through normal and nightmare but hell would give me trouble. Project etal is what most people use these days to bot/maphack. No problems thus far and it really does feel like the community is a 50/50 bot/real life players. Enchant bots are new to me since last I played but they idle in act one and will boost your melee/bow damage by 2k. It lets you level/rush your self fairly easy when you can't find games. Chaos/Baal bots are abundant on every difficulty level. Enigmas and Infinitys are still fairly expensive so I'm stuck doing MF runs manually like a chump. :effort:

Cows are still around but they aren't much use anymore. I miss the days when that was the de-facto way to level. It was always cool to see a super geared nova sorc/windforce zon just roam around blowing everything away. The power curve is what makes D2 a fun game for me. Its such a bitch when your first going through hell and every mob is a fight but once your geared you slice and dice everything around you. If runes weren't a 1 and a million hours played to find one I'd be mad bots exist but with drop rates as they are I'm glad they do. Grinding was alright when you were a kid and could drop 40+ hours a week on it but who has that kind of time anymore.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
So... uswest is kind of a ghost town and I've switched to east. The population is double if not triple. Started a pally. I might be talkin to my self at this point but oh well. This subforum doesn't seem to move that quick anymore anyway so I don't feel too bad double posting. Send me a message if you're around.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

FalloutGod posted:

So... uswest is kind of a ghost town and I've switched to east. The population is double if not triple. Started a pally. I might be talkin to my self at this point but oh well. This subforum doesn't seem to move that quick anymore anyway so I don't feel too bad double posting. Send me a message if you're around.
I was playing east classic and on top of ladder for a bit after reset, but after the 8 man bot teams came online I couldn't compete. I ended up moving to a private server where botting isn't allowed.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Dec 17, 2015

Xenochrist
Sep 11, 2006

Khorne posted:

I was playing east classic and on top of ladder for a bit after reset, but after the 8 man bot teams came online I couldn't compete. I ended up moving to a private server where botting isn't allowed.

Same, started on east but switched to slash Diablo, where map hacks and multi boxing are allowed, and there's no botting. Pretty good community too. Unfortunately the server has been down for almost a week, apparently it will be back soon though.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Xenochrist posted:

Same, started on east but switched to slash Diablo, where map hacks and multi boxing are allowed, and there's no botting. Pretty good community too. Unfortunately the server has been down for almost a week, apparently it will be back soon though.
Yeah, I am playing the slash diablo events server which is modded but whatever it's fun enough. They have a hardcore community and I love hardcore, but I am playing softcore pretty much alone instead. I'll probably play the main server next reset or something which won't be for a while.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006

Khorne posted:

Which private are you on? I admit I love when my characters are completely geared out but as far as legitimate play it doesn't exist on battlenet anymore. I do miss the more group focused fun. I wouldn't mind joining your server to play a sin or a barb.

Also picer still has one of the old SA sigs on his d2jsp profile. Ha!

E: Apparently you have to make an account to upload to imgur... I grabbed the link and put it in my signature on d2jsp if anyone is interested in seeing it. I had a lot of fun in the old group so its neat seeing even a tiny part of it still around.
http://forums.d2jsp.org/user.php?i=2856

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I remember when goons were some of the most hated people on d2jsp. That owned.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I've been playing more the last few weeks. This is proving the be the #1 game in terms of longevity for me. The replay value is still there even after fifteen years. Sure I've taken some really long breaks (logging on only so my characters don't expire). I still have characters from 2003 :eyepop:

The only way I'd like this game more was if they didn't let characters expire (I lost a mule with a ton of stuff once). And if they had some kind of exchange system built into the game to show value. You can kind of gauge but it's hard to be sure.

1 SoJ = 1-3 high runes = Call to Arms (CTA)?
1 Heart of the Oak (HOTO) + 1-3 high runes = CTA?

Maybe the chance of getting ripped off makes things more exciting. I'm on D2X softcore US East non-ladder as *Zogo

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
I want to come back to this. Haven't played since 2004. Want to make an HC MF sorc.

Anyone still play HC? How many players are on?

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I've been playing the new SC season with a friend for the hell of it.

Does anyone remember the URL for the old SA D2 page? It specifically had a few builds I'd like to go back and look at again for the procazon and bearsorc

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
http://us.battle.net/en/forum/topic/20742864181

:stare:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Wow. I wonder if it's just bug fixes for newer systems or if they'll address old bugs like the Fend bug.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
So whats the end game? Whats the point? 90% of online presence is bots. You search normal, nightmare or hell you're lucky to see 6 or more legitimate named games. If updating cheat protocols in attempt to ban a small fraction of those bots hoping to get some sells on CD keys I still can't see them breaking even while paying a programmer a pay check every month. I also doubt the money they would make on sells from remaking D2 into a HD version would outweigh the cost it would require do so. I guess the last 10 years of gaming have turned me into a pessimist but I don't see the logic in updating a legacy game like this. Blizzard doesn't need any sort of "good will" gimmicks considering its transitioning into a F2P company. I'm so confused. :psyduck:

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

FalloutGod posted:

I also doubt the money they would make on sells from remaking D2 into a HD version would outweigh the cost it would require do so.

I thought it was pretty much confirmed that this was happening to at least some "Classic" games, if not D2 specifically. When I hear that, I imagine a completely rewritten game from the ground up, so I'm still not sure what they gain from updating D2. Maybe just as a side project while their new team studies how the game worked?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Just coined to play Sludge Belcher and Coldarra Drake on turn 1. He played saboteur on turn 2 and I killed it with removal. He gets an Archmage out turn 3 and I answer with Rhonin. Gotta give him credit for playing it through to when he finally died on turn 5.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

natetimm posted:

Just coined to play Sludge Belcher and Coldarra Drake on turn 1. He played saboteur on turn 2 and I killed it with removal. He gets an Archmage out turn 3 and I answer with Rhonin. Gotta give him credit for playing it through to when he finally died on turn 5.

But enough about Mephisto runs.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Star Man posted:

But enough about Mephisto runs.

I am a bad clicker. And probably need glasses.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Star Man posted:

Wow. I wonder if it's just bug fixes for newer systems or if they'll address old bugs like the Fend bug.
Apparently these are the patch notes:

quote:

Diablo II v1.14a Patch Notes

Specific Changes & Improvements
- No need to run in XP mode anymore, Windows 7, 8.1, and 10 compatibility complete
- Mac installer and compatibility for 10.10 and 10.11 has arrived
- First client run will migrate saved characters to avoid issues from Windows system admin changes

Known Issues
- Mac 10.9 and earlier are not supported

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

AugmentedVision posted:

I thought it was pretty much confirmed that this was happening to at least some "Classic" games, if not D2 specifically. When I hear that, I imagine a completely rewritten game from the ground up, so I'm still not sure what they gain from updating D2. Maybe just as a side project while their new team studies how the game worked?

There was a job posting about updating classic games for compatibility with modern operating systems, which is what this patch does. People keep misinterpreting it as "HD remakes with all new graphics."

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I played for a few hours today up til Radament but its hard to stay at it by yourself. I've never seen or done the Ubers and would like to get to that point. I've never really been elite at this game. When I played way back when when it was still relatively new, I only reached maybe level 90, if that. Last time I guess a couple or few years ago I made it to 94 with the help of all those bots nowadays.

I was about 80 hours into the Witcher 3 but then the worst thing that can happen to someone halfway through a game happened, I went home for the holidays for a few weeks. Haven't been able to get back into it since. But its too good not to beat it, so I have to at some point. For some hosed up reason I'm playing through the campaign in AoE2HD cause I've never done that before and still wasting time with BF4 while also trying to get through Demon's Souls so I can move on to Dark before DS3 comes out. Alas, I'm an unemployed bum so I'm still gonna try and put a bit of time into this again, see how it goes. I'm codo on US East.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Toady posted:

There was a job posting about updating classic games for compatibility with modern operating systems, which is what this patch does. People keep misinterpreting it as "HD remakes with all new graphics."

Fair enough. Still doesn't answer "why".

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

AugmentedVision posted:

Fair enough. Still doesn't answer "why".

Because if they're going to keep the game available to buy after all these years, then it makes sense to make sure it's compatible with current operating systems.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
oh yeah

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Also, familiarity with characters and storylines in their older games benefits the production of sequels and tie-ins (e.g., Heroes of the Storm).

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

FalloutGod posted:

transitioning into a F2P company.

What the gently caress is wrong with you people?

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006

George posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you people?

Well to be fair a lot of the industry is moving that direction and you can't blame them. You look at the numbers and games like League of Legends and Candy Crush dominate sells. Its what people want. Blizzard's last three are Hearthstone, Heros of the storm and now Overwatch. Diablo 3 wasn't a bad game but it also wasn't what I and a lot of other people wanted from a sequel to Diablo 2. None of the games I've mentioned are bad but they haven't been ground breaking in any real way. Just polished versions of what the market already has to offer. The company has comfortably settled into its old man's lazy boy chair and quietly counts its money. A lot like what valve does now.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Blizzard has released two F2P games ever, and their newest title that they're investing heavily in is not F2P. I'm just wondering what kind of conspiracy theory poo poo you're on about here.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

StarCraft II Starter Edition is also F2P for non-ranked multiplayer, and there was this recent "display bug":

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

Toady posted:

StarCraft II Starter Edition is also F2P for non-ranked multiplayer, and there was this recent "display bug":

They said that apparently it was pulling information from the China version of the game which is free up to level 70, but ya know, :iiam: