Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Khorne posted:

Why are all the items on those lists not aligned & who thinks this is a good font choice & why are there 50 nav bars & why did no one pay attention to typography or whitespace of the text despite putting actual effort into the rest of the layout?

Diablo2player.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Suburban Dad posted:

Probably made by fans of the game and not actual designers. You don't have to use it, sheesh
That is going to be the site's problem. No one is going to use a site that makes you ctrl+w on reflex because you have no idea what the hell is going on on the very first page.

It makes no sense that someone put so much effort into the rest of the layout and then went with unusable nonsense for the part of the site people actually need to use.

jiggerypokery posted:

Diablo2player.txt
I'll concede that the 50 nav bars complaint is biased and irrelevant. Still, compare:

Note this is not a redesign or a total fix. I just wanted to show left align with simple padding on the Database box. It's a bit awkward to fix because the + sign doesn't actually expand anything and isn't part of the item name so naturally you want to space it differently but w/e padding more or less isn't difficult. They could use two fonts. The "formal" font they're using, or some better version of it, in some places and a normal font elsewhere. I didn't even choose a standard modern font -- I just used boring rear end verdana. It took 90s to do this. There are a lot of other things I'd like to play around with or change, but it's not my site.

It looks like they stole a layout from somewhere, or bought it, and then in the parts they did themselves they used things like center tags & did stuff that doesn't pass basic visual inspection.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Sep 21, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I wonder if they're going to implement changes to the game post-release. Perhaps gated behind the ladder seasons.

Because they actually did do that with Warcraft 3, though that's also because that game is still being played competitively.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Still undecided if I'm gonna buy it. I'm 40+ now and the nostalgia factor has worn off. I would love to dabble around with a Lightning Javazon and Summon Necro again, but then I remember the awful gear grind and that there were reasons why we used maphack, dupes and Pindle-bot. Also 21:9 was canned, which was a big letdown for me, as ultra-wide user. And I'm kinda reluctant to give a corp like Blizzard any money after the sex pest events and the various incidents where they tossed streamers under the bus to appease the CCP.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

gradenko_2000 posted:

I wonder if they're going to implement changes to the game post-release. Perhaps gated behind the ladder seasons.

Because they actually did do that with Warcraft 3, though that's also because that game is still being played competitively.

That's the only way I'd buy it. Bug fixes and fixing the dumb things about the game that make it a pain to play anymore. But they won't so I'm not that worried about it. People that want the same experience again can have it and I'll hold out hope that D4 isn't terrible (not much hope, lol).

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/warcraft3/comments/fkxjmh/warcraft_iii_reforged_version_1323_patch_notes/
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/warcraft3/t/warcraft-iii-reforged-patch-notes/23855/300

Game got like 6 months of balance patches and a random smattering of bugs were fixed. They never remotely fixed, or even commented on it after their initial promises to to add them later for that matter, the removal of custom campaigns, the removal of ladder, or the removal of clans.

so yeah it had clearly one or two people doing some minimal stuff, none of the big things that the community cared and repeatedly asked about were ever fixed and people are still playing wc3 on a community made ladder to this day because blizzard never added that functionality back.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Sep 21, 2021

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

preload is up now for those throwing money at blizzard prematurely

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

bawfuls posted:

preload is up now for those throwing money at blizzard prematurely

Sweet, thank you! I’ll start downloading now

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

30GB haha. At least I have space on my SSD.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Sand Monster posted:

30GB haha. At least I have space on my SSD.

Imagine what that would have cost last time diabolo 2 went on pre order

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

jiggerypokery posted:

Imagine what that would have cost last time diabolo 2 went on pre order

It was 2 or 3 CDs!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

the 3rd CD was just the sweet cinematics too

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Lol if you were able to install cinematics back in the day and didnt just insert the disc to watch them on act changes :laugh:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

It looks like it pulled 12 gigs or so from the beta install, leaving 18 to download. I clicked start 9 minutes ago and have shaved off 11gb of that for 7 and change remaining. I wish I could show this to 28.8 dialup me back when I was playing this poo poo originally

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R9Or-8Qys0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FShDgwZOXNM

the winamp skin owns

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006
Some dude got his hands on the cinematics already: https://youtu.be/ISxSZaLN8S4

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Can’t decide which class I wanna start with. What’s a good “starter” build that won’t require super rare drops to perform? I’m leaning toward Necromancer.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

They released the PC install today on battle.net, all dudes and dudettes have access to them if they feel like digging through the downloaded files.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

chaosapiant posted:

Can’t decide which class I wanna start with. What’s a good “starter” build that won’t require super rare drops to perform? I’m leaning toward Necromancer.

Summon necromancer (Skeleton Warrior/Mastery, Corpse Explosion, Amplify Damage) is probably the least gear-dependant "watch me walk through hell baal" class. Very fun, but very slow, and will absolutely hate the sand maggot lair on each difficulty. Make sure you have decrepify for Diablo in Normal or are happy doing that in a party, too. Buy a staff with teleport charges in act 3 normal, preferably before you're level 24 (staff will require level 24 and so will be red/unusable in the vendor screen if you're less than 24, making it quick to find).

If you know what you're doing, nothing will top the speed of a sorceress. $ColdSkill + 5ish points in firewall and mastery can clear hell baal in some small fraction of the time any other character can solo due to teleport. Or meteorb, or blizzball, whatever. You'll die some and otherwise just chuckle as you teleport past your problems.

Hammerdin is pretty great too, since spirit sword + spirit shield are cheap and easy and provide tons of stats that you need. Few immunes give you pause in hell, and yeah you wish you had enigma, but you're still going to make it through the game. Biggest "gotcha" are the magic immune mummies in the 2nd wave before baal.

Honorable mentions for trap assassin, fire druid for normal into wind druid mid-nightmare, and lightning fury javazon.

Barbarian is just extremely gear dependent.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

chaosapiant posted:

I am having trouble deciding, as well. I am also leaning towards Necromancer. Druid is pretty tempting for me, too. Have got a fresh ladder team already made up. No idea when that will be yet. So, I'm going to walk slow as gently caress through D2R with a more relaxed playstyle.

To answer your question: Sorc, hammerdin, trapsin and such are all easy starters. I'd argue melee is a slower start, regardless. Anything with a nice fire spec will fly through normal and into nightmare, where they might require a respec.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

dbrunski125 and mrllamasc have recently uploaded some pretty good D2R new character content, if you can get past the youtube-face thumbnails:

https://www.youtube.com/c/Dbrunski125/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=0

https://www.youtube.com/c/MrLlamaSC/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=0

Extra credit for supporting people that just happened to play D2 (semi)professionally for decades and then were in the right place at the right time for the remaster.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

I dunno how i feel about those but i also had the d2 ost as my most listened to album last year in spotify...

Are these included with the remaster?

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

chaosapiant posted:

There's generally a big three for starters:

1. Blizz Sorc. Best item farmer in the game until everyone has very good gear. Can farm with basically no gear at all, is very fast.
2. Summon + CE Necro. Least gear reliant build. Can clear everything with garbage gear. Isn't the fastest in the world but is safe and easy.
3. Hammerdin. Probably the strongest build in the game overall, very few immunities. Is reasonably strong with bad gear, but cannot match the Sorc for speed until you get Enigma, which you hopefully won't for a long while (because that would mean the anticheats have failed)

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Oh we know about some bug fixes? Do we know if Inferno is fixed?

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

SuperKlaus posted:

Oh we know about some bug fixes? Do we know if Inferno is fixed?

I don't think there's any information available on that. The only two meaningful bugfixes are ebugging and Assassin traps not counting as boss mobs.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
There are so many weird quirks in this dumb game. I was reading about spirit of barbs today and apparently it really only gives 50% effectiveness at all levels. So it's basically worse than a level six thorns at level 20.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Huh, I thought I'd be able to wake up tomorrow to find out if the remaster turned out good or not from people that binged through it overnight but apparently it doesn't launch until like 10 am tomorrow. I thought midnight releases were basically the norm now.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Any idea when the review embargo ends? There was enough (open) beta access that I doubt there are many surprises, but I'm curious if reviewers got more feature-complete copies of the game and cover changes we haven't seen discussed yet.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Huh, I thought I'd be able to wake up tomorrow to find out if the remaster turned out good or not from people that binged through it overnight but apparently it doesn't launch until like 10 am tomorrow. I thought midnight releases were basically the norm now.

their launch strategy makes sense, 8am PST launch allows their operations teams to work a (long) normal day instead of working starting in the middle of the night when they are less effective

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

How well does this actually play with a controller? I have to assume it’s as good as D3 on the consoles right?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

A lot of people seem to like it on controller, cause you get to just press a button and the spell is cast instead of button + mouse click.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

It was smooth as hell on a controller, was great

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fuckin awesome!

I was super disappointed that D3 never got controller support on the PC because the console versions are such a great way to play.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
It's good with controller but stuff like inventory management isn't as smooth as with D3

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

alg posted:

their launch strategy makes sense, 8am PST launch allows their operations teams to work a (long) normal day instead of working starting in the middle of the night when they are less effective

Blizz does 8am pst launches a lot iirc.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Good Citizen posted:

It's good with controller but stuff like inventory management isn't as smooth as with D3

It's worth it imo. Skills and movement felt great on Xbox!

I can imagine teleport being not as exciting, though. And single target melee skills.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

External Organs posted:

It's worth it imo. Skills and movement felt great on Xbox!

I can imagine teleport being not as exciting, though. And single target melee skills.

Oh totally. After playing D3 and PoE on consoles I can't imagine any other way to play this type of game any more

Teleporting actually felt pretty fine during the beta. Obviously not as precise as with a mouse but it got me through maggot lair just fine

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
movement and most directional casting/shooting/attacking feels very good, but inventory management has to be done like with a mouse via the analog sticks so that's gonna be slower and it's possible some of the more esoteric skills (summoning/teleport) haven't been tested yet

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

movement and most directional casting/shooting/attacking feels very good, but inventory management has to be done like with a mouse via the analog sticks so that's gonna be slower and it's possible some of the more esoteric skills (summoning/teleport) haven't been tested yet

Unless you’re trying to summon an iron golem off a specific piece of equipment in a crowded area I really can’t picture summoning being an issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Good Citizen posted:

Unless you’re trying to summon an iron golem off a specific piece of equipment in a crowded area I really can’t picture summoning being an issue

Oh Jesus, I didn't even think about this one.