Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
Is d2jsp and their weird forum gold thing the only game in town for trading these days? I'm playing through the game again with a friend for old times sake and we're running into the gear wall in Hell difficulty. Considering mayyyybe re-rolling on the ladder since we happened to pick the game back up right before the reset, but I don't really know the point of doing that unless there is an active community out there to barter with...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

It's still going really strong actually, I've never made an account but over the last few weeks I've been reading it every day to try and learn the weird rear end language.

In other news, I've been playing this game since it loving got released and just dropped my first high rune EVER

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Ugh I forgot the password on my account and the recovery email just isn't coming through

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
:feelsgood:

I found a Zod rune in a public walk-to-Baal game once in 2006. I joined late and it was left behind near the waypoint on a monster's corpse. I also got an Ist rune once off of Eldritch in 2011. I've gotten more valuable items in vanilla Diablo III than I ever have in Diablo II.

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

Star Man posted:

:feelsgood:

I found a Zod rune in a public walk-to-Baal game once in 2006. I joined late and it was left behind near the waypoint on a monster's corpse. I also got an Ist rune once off of Eldritch in 2011. I've gotten more valuable items in vanilla Diablo III than I ever have in Diablo II.

I always thought it was hilarious that people thought the drop rate in vanilla d3 was bad! D2 was way more punishing, or at least on par. I've posted this many times over the years but I'm one of the few people on earth that enjoyed pound-me-in-the-rear end diablo 3 vanilla italian hell. The game was great all the way up until the IAS nerf.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Goo P-Nut Sack posted:

I always thought it was hilarious that people thought the drop rate in vanilla d3 was bad! D2 was way more punishing, or at least on par. I've posted this many times over the years but I'm one of the few people on earth that enjoyed pound-me-in-the-rear end diablo 3 vanilla italian hell. The game was great all the way up until the IAS nerf.

I didn't like the punishing difficulty at all, but I was too stubborn to quit when everyone else did. The attack speed nerf stunk, but 1.0.4 onward was a real turning point. I still miss being able to trade with people, but I'm okay with it if it means that d2jsp is out of the picture.

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

Rip'd last night at level 83 after making a Hoto earlier in the day with that vex. Got a little too drunk and careless, gear was getting pretty dank too.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

The Third Man posted:

Is d2jsp and their weird forum gold thing the only game in town for trading these days? I'm playing through the game again with a friend for old times sake and we're running into the gear wall in Hell difficulty. Considering mayyyybe re-rolling on the ladder since we happened to pick the game back up right before the reset, but I don't really know the point of doing that unless there is an active community out there to barter with...

Yes, and non-ladder items are much cheaper. But, 90% of people play ladder. So, it'll be hard to trade your non-ladder items to get gold in the first place. You should ALWAYS play the ladder unless you have a character that's like 90+ you're already working on.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Goo P-Nut Sack posted:

Rip'd last night at level 83 after making a Hoto earlier in the day with that vex. Got a little too drunk and careless, gear was getting pretty dank too.

Goondolences. I died the other day on my HC Sorc, with 800+ MF, in the loving Pit of all places. Lightning enchanted archers on level 2 poofed my merc with perfect gear, instantly, and I followed shortly after.

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

Kazvall posted:

Goondolences. I died the other day on my HC Sorc, with 800+ MF, in the loving Pit of all places. Lightning enchanted archers on level 2 poofed my merc with perfect gear, instantly, and I followed shortly after.

RIP

The archers that got me were cursed and had might aura, normally I would have had the reaction time to decrepify them but...too sauced up. I've got a bowazon at 35 now that I probably won't do all self found on.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'd be pretty livid if I lost a hardcore character with a Vex rune I found.

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

Star Man posted:

I'd be pretty livid if I lost a hardcore character with a Vex rune I found.

I've long since had attachment to thing, material or virtual

namaste

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
What is the best mod for Diablo II, in terms of getting the best single-player minimal new content outside of multiplayer stuff? like infinite re-rolls, expanded stash, perfect drops so you don't grind like a madman, and stuff like that, but without arbitrary changes to stats and original monster additions.

also things like always accessible secret cow level (once unlocked)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I believe Eastern Sun is the gold standard for mods that adds a truckton of stuff while also overhauling the gameplay and in many ways making it more player-friendly, but I've long since lost the knowledge on how to make it work with modern systems and patches.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Eastern Sun was a goon favorite because we had a realm going and it has some realm friendly features to go with its insane crafting system. It's still fairly vanilla even with all the new items and zones.
Median XL is another good one that still gets updates, but it's a very different game from vanilla d2.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Eastern Sun is extremely good but it just does not run on Windows 10, so beware. Hyper-V is kind of lovely with XP and it doesn't run in that either. No compatibility options work. You literally have to have a machine that boots into 7 to play it.

And that's sad

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
Hot dog my laptop boots into windows 7. It took me a couple of weeks last time to figure it out though. Think I might reinstall D2.

GoldenTeeth
Jun 3, 2013

I'm the pensive looking one on the left. That's me. I'm doing serious business in there. Look at me go.
Any recommendations for good private servers that are vanilla-ish? I'm happy with slightly increased drop/exp rates and other quality of life stuff but no massive ES-style overhauls

Khorne
May 1, 2002

GoldenTeeth posted:

Any recommendations for good private servers that are vanilla-ish? I'm happy with slightly increased drop/exp rates and other quality of life stuff but no massive ES-style overhauls
http://www.reddit.com/r/slashdiablo/

It's the defacto bnet server these days for people who actually play and don't want to bot.

They also have a modded server that's more ES-like, but it's not nearly as nuts as ES and it's continually developed and kinda cool. It's more like another expansion or was a year ago. I was top 3 on the ladder for that a few seasons ago by running my own 8 player games which took 3 ips because I'm a big fuckin nerd.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

for the complete a set dungeon' bit of the journey do i have to use a 6 piece class set to complete it or can I use any set

asking cos i deleted a piece of set earlier in season and now am 2 piece short of a set with no more hadrigs gifts left

mewse
May 2, 2006

Looke posted:

for the complete a set dungeon' bit of the journey do i have to use a 6 piece class set to complete it or can I use any set

asking cos i deleted a piece of set earlier in season and now am 2 piece short of a set with no more hadrigs gifts left

You need one of the class sets, but you can have 5 pieces and a ring of royal grandeur. There is also a cube recipe to convert a set item to another random piece for 10 DB 10 forgotten souls, if you have a duplicate set piece

e: oh good lord this is the D2 thread, sorry guys

mewse fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 13, 2016

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Oh man, I didn't realize that Blizzard put out a new patch for Diablo II.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

that'll teach me to pay attention to the amount of I's in the title

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
Is there a decent item trainer for D2 right now? I'm playing on 1.13 with Plugy and I just want to make some fun rune words in single player :X

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Someone please figure out how to get single player ES running on Windows 10. gently caress. Please. I'll gently caress you.

I've never tried median, is there a lot of bullshit install stuff/fuckery or is straightforward? Also do they and an absolute poo poo load of new items/drop rates?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bob NewSCART posted:

Someone please figure out how to get single player ES running on Windows 10. gently caress. Please. I'll gently caress you.

I've never tried median, is there a lot of bullshit install stuff/fuckery or is straightforward? Also do they and an absolute poo poo load of new items/drop rates?

Median is basically a whole new game in the d2 engine. It has all its own items, enemies and areas. I don't know about windows 10 but it installed pretty easily on 8.1.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

ES needed a lot of fuckery to get to run in 10 but the most important thing is you can't install it over a 1.14 installation and have it work

I was having hell of time getting it to run because I was dumb and did that, I found the old goon install on a Windows 7 laptop and copied it over and it took some fuckery to get it to run properly but it will eventually run. That version is over a 1.10 installation.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

dis astranagant posted:

Median is basically a whole new game in the d2 engine. It has all its own items, enemies and areas. I don't know about windows 10 but it installed pretty easily on 8.1.

What was your process for 8.1 cause I tried for days.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Target Practice posted:

What was your process for 8.1 cause I tried for days.

I followed the directions on the forum, which installed it as a d2se plugin.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

dis astranagant posted:

I followed the directions on the forum, which installed it as a d2se plugin.

Which forum, this one?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Target Practice posted:

Which forum, this one?

The official Median XL forum. http://forum.median-xl.com/viewforum.php?f=42&sid=27961206863fce40d82bc7649ddcb00e

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Anyone tried installing median on 10?

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Bob NewSCART posted:

Anyone tried installing median on 10?

I've been playing Median-XL on Windows 10 for a few days now. I run it in XP Service Pack 3 under properties. I also use D2SE mod loader and LoD 1.13c

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So I thought about giving the Diablo games a try. If you buy the Diablo II Battle Chest on Amazon, does it comes a CD key you can activate on Battle.net (assuming you buy it new)?

Additionally, is there a reason why Diablo 1 doesn't have any kind of official re-release?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The CD keys can be registered to your Battle.net account and enable you to download them anytime after.

Diablo 1 is not available digitally because the game never used a CD key for installation. Strangely enough, WarCraft II: Battle.net Edition does require a CD key but doesn't have a digital edition.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Star Man posted:

The CD keys can be registered to your Battle.net account and enable you to download them anytime after.

Diablo 1 is not available digitally because the game never used a CD key for installation. Strangely enough, WarCraft II: Battle.net Edition does require a CD key but doesn't have a digital edition.

Is there a reason why they don't just make DIablo 1 a freeware title, though? I remember that Blizzard has (or at least had) a lot of their older games like Lost Vikings and Blackthorne available free to download. Is it a licensing issue or something?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Max Wilco posted:

Is there a reason why they don't just make DIablo 1 a freeware title, though? I remember that Blizzard has (or at least had) a lot of their older games like Lost Vikings and Blackthorne available free to download. Is it a licensing issue or something?

I have no idea. My educated guess is that unlike those games, Diablo 1 runs in Windows and not in DOS. You can get Diablo 1 to run in Windows 10 with some mods, but the game doesn't seem to ever run without them.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

https://archive.org/details/Diablo_1996_Blizzard

If anyone needs help with Diablo 1 mods, just hit me up.

Also, d2 median: sigma is supposed to be coming out this year. Yay!

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
ES question:

I don't know if I missed it in the database, but is there someway to get a set titania crown for Noir's in nightmare? NM chits won't give me elites as far as I can tell and the titania crown is the highest of the elites so gambling would be a waste of time I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Kazvall posted:

Also, d2 median: sigma is supposed to be coming out this year. Yay!

what about d2 mean: mu